Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
No, it took us that long to get rid of him. You're stuck with him. Also don't they understand the irony of trying to boot someone out for disagreeing with the 2nd amendment. Meanwhile they completely disregard the 1st.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:07 PM   #27
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
Doesn't the first amendment allow free speech?
Technically there are exceptions to free speech. Such as making serious threats against another person's well being. Though if one accepts that the first amendment is not all-encompassing, then it logically follows that neither is the second amendment.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Refined statement for better comprehension
APlotdevice is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:53 PM   #28
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

You would have thought he was trying to be controversial, oh wait...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:00 PM   #29
NickZac
macrumors 68000

He's one, of numerous, news personalities who contributes very little to the discussion and is not taking all factors into account IMO.

But does that really surprise you with the media today?
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:56 AM   #30
CaptMurdock
macrumors 6502a

I'd say that while he had the right of free speech (even if he's a resident alien as opposed to a citizen) anyone with a beef against him is certainly free to petition the network -- NOT the government -- to take him off the air. Start a boycott of the show's sponsors. That's exercise of free speech too.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:29 AM   #31
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
No, it took us that long to get rid of him. You're stuck with him. Also don't they understand the irony of trying to boot someone out for disagreeing with the 2nd amendment. Meanwhile they completely disregard the 1st.
The First Amendment guarantees you the right to run your mouth. It does not guarantee you a platform from which to run said mouth.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:33 AM   #32
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
The First Amendment guarantees you the right to run your mouth. It does not guarantee you a platform from which to run said mouth.
And petitioning the government to remove him from said platform is ignorant, at best.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:33 AM   #33
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
No, audiences do that.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:37 AM   #34
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Keep him. We don't want him back.

GB.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:46 AM   #35
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Except that these News outlets are corporations, which for better or worse the Supreme Court has long since ruled are protected under the first amendment. So these hosts are free to express their opinions on the air. They can even flat out lie, as those on Fox News often do.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:49 AM   #36
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
oh, i agree and my post was facetious....but seriously, the guy is obnoxious as hell...anyone who comes on his show and disagrees with him or offers opposing viewpoints gets shouted down and is not given enough time to answer his question.
My response to this can be summed up in 2 words that kills your entire argument by pointing to something much much worse and more annoying.
Rush Limbaugh.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:27 AM   #37
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
And petitioning the government to remove him from said platform is ignorant, at best.
You're right. Wanting to kick people out of the country is stupid.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:32 AM   #38
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
It's not often that we agree.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:13 AM   #39
zioxide
macrumors 603

I think we should keep Piers Morgan and deport that idiot who runs the NRA. Where's that petition?
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:42 PM   #40
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
To the contrary. In Piers Morgan's case, it does give him the platform for him to run his mouth.

Everyone here is rambling on about his comments and his freedom of speech to make said comments.. But you all forget that he is a member of the press, and is granted that platform via the very same 1st Amendment that guarantees his right to free speech.

Oh wait.. it's that same 1st Amendment that guarantees Fox News the same right, as being part of the press, to lie to the public! Same Freedom of speech, and platform to use it in (the press).

What next, repeal the 1st Amendment or restrict it to only be for citizens? Oh, the indignity.

It was already mentioned before: those doing this need to pull the zipper around from the back of their waist, and grow the smeg up.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:15 PM   #41
MacNut
macrumors P6

CNN would be happy just to get 48,000 people to watch.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:16 PM   #42
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Ah- so popular= good?

In that case, conservatives should be jumping up and down for Obama and working with him to avoid the fiscal cliff- oh wait...
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:18 PM   #43
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
I would imagine (just a guess on my part) they get half their ratings from businesses leaving the TV on in the waiting rooms/areas.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:21 PM   #44
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Ah- so popular= good?

In that case, conservatives should be jumping up and down for Obama and working with him to avoid the fiscal cliff- oh wait...
I think CNN is enjoying the free publicity that Morgan is bringing. Even if he is a train wreck it is most likely geting people to watch.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I would imagine (just a guess on my part) they get half their ratings from businesses leaving the TV on in the waiting rooms/areas.
Dunkin Donuts as well.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:25 PM   #45
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
oh, i agree and my post was facetious....but seriously, the guy is obnoxious as hell...anyone who comes on his show and disagrees with him or offers opposing viewpoints gets shouted down and is not given enough time to answer his question.
He's no where near as bad Bill O'Reily or Rush Limbaugh. They literaly yell over people.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #46
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
He's no where near as bad Bill O'Reily or Rush Limbaugh. They literaly yell over people.
When you yell to your guest, regardless of the topic, "you're an unbelievable stupid man", you're as bad as Limbaugh and O'Reilly.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #47
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

We no want him:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...iers-morgan-uk
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:44 PM   #48
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
When you yell to your guest, regardless of the topic, "you're an unbelievable stupid man", you're as bad as Limbaugh and O'Reilly.
Yet O'Reilly and Limbaugh are to be tolerated, yet when another resident says or does the same thing, they scream bloody murder and want him kicked out.

Sounds like another Shut up and Sing.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:47 PM   #49
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Yet O'Reilly and Limbaugh are to be tolerated, yet when another resident says or does the same thing, they scream bloody murder and want him kicked out.

Sounds like another Shut up and Sing.

BL.
I don't think we can deport Bill or Rush. I honestly don't think O'Reilly is as bad as Rush is tho. I think Bill can have a resonable debate at times.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:56 PM   #50
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I don't think we can deport Bill or Rush. I honestly don't think O'Reilly is as bad as Rush is tho. I think Bill can have a resonable debate at times.
Unfortunately, we can't. But it makes sense to point out the hypocrisy of these people that Bill and Rush get free passes to do the same thing that Piers has done, which they scream bloody murder on..

And also the fact that they want to deport somebody who ha used the right and legal channels to live in this country, simply because he says something that they don't agree with.

Hence, the aforementioned pull the zipper around from the back up the waist, grow a pair, and grow up. Otherwise, good for the goose=good for the gander.

BL.
bradl is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues