Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quality issues iPhone 5

Got my wife an iphone 5 for christmas and it has a nick in the glass/bezel on top and something is wedged in between the screen and bezel on the bottom left. It looks like a thin piece of paper and it wont come out. How could this pass inspection? It was the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. Good job Apple...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	385761  
SchuettS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Welcome to the wonderful world of iPhone 5. They all have flaws, people just don't notice them. Yours is on the worse side though. I'd take it back and exchange it. Quality control hasn't changed at all since September with the iPhone 5. Trust me, I have been through so many.

I am keeping my current one because the only "issue" is that there is a small speck of dust in the corner. Doesn't affect anything though, but still pretty ridiculous.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:14 PM   #3
drew0020
macrumors 65816

Same issue here with an unlocked white iPhone 5 that I bought for a Christmas gift. I don't think Apple uses any quality control especially in regards to the iPhone 5.
drew0020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
WOLF COUNSELOR
macrumors newbie

They don't all have flaws. I inspected mine before I walked out of the store with it and everything was as it should be. I have had the phone for over a week now and everything is working great, including battery life.
WOLF COUNSELOR is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

^ I think its the design they chose to go with. It's very hard to manufacture according to the Chinese. I would have loved it if they had kept the 4S form factor and glass. But last month at Apple I had them bring me out at least 10 iPhones before I walked away with one that only had "minor" flaws.

Call me OCD all you like, its unacceptable to pay $749 for a phone that has dust in the camera, or loose buttons, or loose screens, or scratched screens.

My latest iPhone 5 is ok, but like I mentioned above it has a speck of dust in the lens and a very, very small light scratch on the screen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF COUNSELOR View Post
They don't all have flaws. I inspected mine before I walked out of the store with it and everything was as it should be. I have had the phone for over a week now and everything is working great, including battery life.
Yes they do, you just don't know what to look for. I bet you all the money in the world if I handled your phone I'd find something not right with it.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Another thread on 'quality control' of the iPhone 5.

To add balance not all iPhone 5's have issues seen or unseen. After reading threads on here and elsewhere when I opened the box in the apple store I looked over it with a fine tooth comb.

No issues with the unit at all.
bandofbrothers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

Mine is still in perfect condition. No flaws of any kind. Not to say there hasn't been any problems with any of the iPhone 5s, but I suspect most have been fine.
Zerilos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerilos View Post
Mine is still in perfect condition. No flaws of any kind. Not to say there hasn't been any problems with any of the iPhone 5s, but I suspect most have been fine.
Well can you logically explain why the Apple sales rep had to bring out at least 7 iPhone 5s for me?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

The great thing is apple will allow you to get a new one until your satisfied. But it looks like apple choose a very hard phone to make.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Well can you logically explain why the Apple sales rep had to bring out at least 7 iPhone 5s for me?
Your looking for problems that's why.
Zaft is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuettS View Post
Got my wife an iphone 5 for christmas and it has a nick in the glass/bezel on top and something is wedged in between the screen and bezel on the bottom left. It looks like a thin piece of paper and it wont come out. How could this pass inspection? It was the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. Good job Apple...
Welcome to 4 months ago news.
nizmoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
First it was 10 now it's 7? Yes the quality control wasn't as good on the 5 but not all iPhone 5s have flaws. My black 32gb was perfect and so was gfs second white 16gb 5.
Jordan921 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

That's why I buy refurbs. Not only are they cheaper but I expect some blemish. No guilt, no foul. ^)

This one though is glaring, I would inspect with loupe and see whether it can be remove with a fine exacto.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Starrbuck
macrumors regular

They are assembled in China. What do you expect!!!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of iPhone 5. They all have flaws, people just don't notice them. Yours is on the worse side though. I'd take it back and exchange it. Quality control hasn't changed at all since September with the iPhone 5. Trust me, I have been through so many.

I am keeping my current one because the only "issue" is that there is a small speck of dust in the corner. Doesn't affect anything though, but still pretty ridiculous.
2 others in my family got iphone 5s and I couldnt find a problem with them.

I only started this thread to show what can get passed Apples quality inspection.

The nick on the top of the phone left a mark in the glass and on the bezel. Someone recently posted that there screen just randomly cracked, I can see a reason why it would if it came with a nick like mine.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Welcome to 4 months ago news.
Someone else posted that they had something wedged in their screen/bezel too? oh ok! didnt know that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Another thread on 'quality control' of the iPhone 5.

To add balance not all iPhone 5's have issues seen or unseen. After reading threads on here and elsewhere when I opened the box in the apple store I looked over it with a fine tooth comb.

No issues with the unit at all.
I wouldve looked it over if it wasn't a present for someone else.
SchuettS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Starrbuck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuettS View Post
2 others in my family got iphone 5s and I couldnt find a problem with them.
Our family got 4 for Christmas and they are all fine.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Vell843
macrumors member

I got my iPhone 5 from "the shack" (radioshack) about two months ago with no flaws at all. I made sure that I inspected it before evening purchasing it, and this was before I was aware of "scuff gate".
Vell843 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:06 PM   #17
rgarjr
macrumors 603

I'm sure a lot of them are fine but the OP is trying to make a point on how his got past QC with that thing wedged in there.
rgarjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:21 PM   #18
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I'm sure a lot of them are fine but the OP is trying to make a point on how his got past QC with that thing wedged in there.
Thanks and that I was. It's like looking at a supermodel with a huge pimple on her nose. Your going to notice it right away, wish apple would have noticed this flaw. Oh well, I'll get it replaced tmr.
SchuettS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #19
anims
macrumors newbie

What do you thing about that?
anims is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:04 PM   #20
drew0020
macrumors 65816

I wish I could get a 5 without a scratch or dent but I have given up hope. The one I kept has 3 small dents on the phone. Luckily they are small but disappointing.
drew0020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:19 PM   #21
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
That's why I buy refurbs. Not only are they cheaper but I expect some blemish. No guilt, no foul. ^)

This one though is glaring, I would inspect with loupe and see whether it can be remove with a fine exacto.
With previous iPhones I don't think there was refurbs this early tho.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:40 PM   #22
adam044
macrumors 65816

Search the forum there's threads with thousands of posts on this topic
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #23

Why do people keep buying the iphone 5 when there's so many problems.

Stop buying and Apple will start fixing!
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #24
RossMc
macrumors 65816

It may be glue, I had something white stuck between where the glass and the metal meet on the back of the phone but not as much as your picture, Used my nail and managed to get it out, Phone is perfect condition now as far as I can see compared to the last one I had which had chips all over it.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:47 PM   #25
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossMc View Post
It may be glue, I had something white stuck between where the glass and the metal meet on the back of the phone but not as much as your picture, Used my nail and managed to get it out, Phone is perfect condition now as far as I can see compared to the last one I had which had chips all over it.
It's not glue. You'd be able to tell if I got a better pic. Looks like paper or plastic...
SchuettS is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone