Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have a Carbon Copy Cloner image and yesterday I installed Boot Camp to install Windows XP, but something went wrong with Boot Camp and it destroyed my Snow Leopard install and my iMac refused to load. So I then booted my external USB Hard drive and cloned the USB Hard drive CCC image back onto the Macintosh internal HD, but when it went to boot it said something about unable to boot.

I then had to install the Snow Leopard installation DVD to get the iMac to boot properly and then clone the external CCC image back onto the internal Macintosh HD.

But WHY did CCC fail to fix the boot sectors or whatever is needed to properly boot the iMac? So CCC doesn't backup and resore all the proper boot sectors to properly boot the iMac? What did the proper Snow Leopard install DVD that CCC failed to do?

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
with the windows xp installation you changed the default system to windows on the bootcamp partition.

just clone your system back to your hard drive with ccc and startup your mac by holding the "alt" key. Then select your OS X system.
After startup change the default system in system settings to the macintosh partition.

thats all. nothing special :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.