Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:04 PM   #1
dimme
macrumors 6502a

Recommend a site like flicker but more customizable

I love flicker and have many photos on the site. I am a pro member and upload my own photography and plus over the last year or so I also scanned countless family photos from the last 50 years. My family is spread out over the country so it's a great way of sharing. Plus for the price it is a excellent value. I do not care for the layout and would like something more elegant. Also I would not mind a custom domain. However I see to setup my own site vis square space is in the neighborhood of $16 a month that's a bit more that the $25 a year I spend on flicker. I looked at smug mug and it looks like for $60 a year I can get what I want. Anyone have any recommendations or comments?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
maflynn

I use and like smugmug, and 60 bucks a year to get what you want isn't all that much imo
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

500px is pretty new, but starting to look promising, particularly if you're looking for something rather "elegant".
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Hankster
macrumors 68000

I've used SmugMug for several years and I love it. It fully customizable and it doesn't cost too much. Also, I agree with the second poster. $60/yr to get "everything you want" is very cheap.

We are talking about photography. This is not a cheap interest. $60/yr is only $5 a month, That's about two cups of coffee a month or a combo meal at a fast food restaurant.

While I look for deals as well, I realize photography is not cheap and you need to spend money to get what you want. I have a full subscription to SmugMug and I don't mind spending the money at all since it gives me every custom item I could want

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Randy McKown
macrumors member

While I wouldn't call it customizable, I'm also a huge fan of 500px. It's an amazing alternative to Flickr. Way better in my opinion.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Checkout photium! I use their services and I am a happy camper.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
nburwell
macrumors 68000

I would also recommend 500px. I'm not a paying member on there, but I do like the layout over Flickr. It's certainly worth checking out. Plus, you're able to sell your work on there as well (if that is something you wanted to do).
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
initialsBB
macrumors 6502a

I was asking myself the same question as OP, but also do any of these services allow non-members to comment on photos ?
initialsBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography