Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
ant2009
macrumors member

Does ipad mini LTE still consume data when switched off (sleep)

Hello,

I have an iPad mini LTE.

My data plan is pre-paid. So I pay for 1000 MB. When all the MBs has been used. I pay for another 1000.

When I am on travelling around town I constantly check email, maps, browse the internet. When I am finished I just close my smart cover to switch off (sleep). Then when I am need to check something I open the cover and immediately I can start browsing again.

I am wondering then the iPad is in sleep mode (cover closed). It is still consuming data. Or does it depend no the apps that are currently running?

Its just a little inconvenient to go to setting and switch of the LTE.

Many thanks for any suggestions,
ant2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:07 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

If you aren't on Wi-Fi, I'd guess yes even if it's just a little. Since most mail accounts support push and apps are sending push notifications, I'd assume it's always connected.

The best way to test it is to leave it for a day and make a note to check that day's usage. That should give you an idea if it's actually using data or not.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
outie2k
macrumors regular

It does consume cellular data while it's in sleep mode. It depends largely how you configured emails and iCloud. For emails if you use push or interval pull it will consume data while in sleep. For iCloud if you enabled document and data sync it will use data as well. I had one instance where it consumed 60MB overnight in sleep mode. I had since turned off iCloud document and data sync while on cellular.

If you don't want it to use any data at all while in sleep mode, your best bet is to turn off data manually.
outie2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:44 AM   #4
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

In the iPad settings, you can disable cellular downloads for apps and iCloud. I would recommend turning those off to save on data.

After that, email is another app that can download data in the background. It shouldn't use much data though.

I know that Newsstand can also download in the background. Anyone know if that's wifi only?
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:45 AM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Newsstand only downloads new issues over Wi-Fi.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad