Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Hello,

I have an iPad mini LTE.

My data plan is pre-paid. So I pay for 1000 MB. When all the MBs has been used. I pay for another 1000.

When I am on travelling around town I constantly check email, maps, browse the internet. When I am finished I just close my smart cover to switch off (sleep). Then when I am need to check something I open the cover and immediately I can start browsing again.

I am wondering then the iPad is in sleep mode (cover closed). It is still consuming data. Or does it depend no the apps that are currently running?

Its just a little inconvenient to go to setting and switch of the LTE.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If you aren't on Wi-Fi, I'd guess yes even if it's just a little. Since most mail accounts support push and apps are sending push notifications, I'd assume it's always connected.

The best way to test it is to leave it for a day and make a note to check that day's usage. That should give you an idea if it's actually using data or not.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
It does consume cellular data while it's in sleep mode. It depends largely how you configured emails and iCloud. For emails if you use push or interval pull it will consume data while in sleep. For iCloud if you enabled document and data sync it will use data as well. I had one instance where it consumed 60MB overnight in sleep mode. I had since turned off iCloud document and data sync while on cellular.

If you don't want it to use any data at all while in sleep mode, your best bet is to turn off data manually.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
In the iPad settings, you can disable cellular downloads for apps and iCloud. I would recommend turning those off to save on data.

After that, email is another app that can download data in the background. It shouldn't use much data though.

I know that Newsstand can also download in the background. Anyone know if that's wifi only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.