Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 24, 2013, 05:44 AM   #1
mare92
macrumors newbie

Parallels 8 Settings

Hello!

I have Macbook Pro Retina(early 2013) with 2.6Ghz i5 and 8GB RAM.

I dedicated Parallels 4GB of RAM, set it to use 2 cores and 512MB of video RAM. Installed host OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Its still somehow laggy even in very basic and old games. What would you suggest? More cores?
And maybe a stupid question, but when I quit Parallels, does it immediately rellocate that RAM and processing power back to OSX?

Thank you very much!
mare92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 05:49 AM   #2
maflynn

If its a 13" rMBP then you only have the integrated GPU, so gaming performance in windows is going to be pretty bad. I don't think there's too much you can do other then throw as much cores and ram at the VM to see if its better but the bottleneck for most games is the GPU and integrated GPUs are generally pretty bad performance wise.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Just make sure that you leave enough resources (ram, CPU cores) for OS X. Other than that, it's all about your gpu strength. Also make sure you have enabled the 3d acceleration in parallels settings.

Yes, parallels it's just another application. Once it is stopped, the resources will return to the native OS.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4
dyn
macrumors 65816

You are assigning way too many resources to the vm. Assign as little as possible and try how it runs. If it needs a bit more than add little by little. The key thing with virtualisation is to be very conservative in what you assign to the vm. Usually you are better off using the defaults when creating the vm.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
MathBunny123
macrumors regular

Games generally run bad on my VM's, and no matter how many cores or how much RAM I allocate.

It's MUCH better on bootcamp for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crc7IUDMth4

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store