Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
orlimac
macrumors newbie

Hard Drive Image

Hi, i want to replace my existing hard drive for an hybrid one in my macbook pro. I need to make an exact image of it. Can i use my external time machine backup hard drive to save my image, and after it, boot my mac from it? Or i need to buy another one? Which program is best for defrag my existing hd? Thanks!
orlimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Time machine does not create a bootable clone of your hard drive. You'll need a cloning application like superduper or carbon copy cloner. Get an external enclosure to copy your hard disk and switch the disks when your copy is ready.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlimac View Post
Hi, i want to replace my existing hard drive for an hybrid one in my macbook pro. I need to make an exact image of it. Can i use my external time machine backup hard drive to save my image, and after it, boot my mac from it? Or i need to buy another one? Which program is best for defrag my existing hd? Thanks!
Yes, since 10.7.2 local Time Machine backups are bootable. Just option key boot to the Time Machine external drive. Then start Disk Util and format the new drive to Mac OS Extended then click restore. That will copy the OS and all your data to the new drive.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:22 AM   #4
orlimac
macrumors newbie

Manny Thanks!
orlimac is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help