Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aug 5, 2012
is it really necessary to use a swearing reference in the title?!

If you show respect you will receive it in return

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Sitting in bed...

Are the air vents blocked by the cushioning of the bed, thus causing heat buildup?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
is it really necessary to use a swearing reference in the title?!

If you show respect you will receive it in return

Haha. I'm not disrespecting anyone

----------

You shouldn't sleep with your MacBook Pro...

I don't. Just watching a movie or something.

----------

Sitting in bed...

Are the air vents blocked by the cushioning of the bed, thus causing heat buildup?

This is a good point. Might be a blanket. Still, none of my MBs have ever done this.

I got multiple videos of it happening, so I'll take it into the Apple Store tomorrow

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
tumblr_m1c1cub3tx1r3n3ugo1_500.gif

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: heat and/or static and/or loose connection...

Hi,

I would suspect one of two things might be happening. First off, I'd check the temperature of the GPU/CPU when you are experiencing this problem. Something like Temperature Monitor.app will allow you to view the various temperature sensors within the rMBP. The rMBP, as I'm sure you already know, has vents along the underside of both sides of the computer that serve as the air intake for the fans. The exhaust from those fans is from the hinge area. All other MBPs have both the intake and exhaust in the hinge area, so it is possible that your blanket covers the intake for the rMBP but not for your other MBs. While the CPUs should throttle their frequencies if they get too hot, and this is also true for the GPU, it may be that gettting close to the thermal limit for the GPU causes this problem.

Secondly, I'd look at a static electric discharge as another potential source for your problem. Is your rMBP plugged into the power brick when this happens?

And lastly, what happens if you move your rMBP around when it is on your desk? Do you experience the same trouble? There may be a problem with the connector between the motherboard and the rMBP's display that only manifests itself when the display is at a certain angle or the laptop is being "physically stressed" by torquing it through how it is held while on your bed versus how it is held while on your desk.

Good luck,
Switon

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hi,

I would suspect one of two things might be happening. First off, I'd check the temperature of the GPU/CPU when you are experiencing this problem. Something like Temperature Monitor.app will allow you to view the various temperature sensors within the rMBP. The rMBP, as I'm sure you already know, has vents along the underside of both sides of the computer that serve as the air intake for the fans. The exhaust from those fans is from the hinge area. All other MBPs have both the intake and exhaust in the hinge area, so it is possible that your blanket covers the intake for the rMBP but not for your other MBs. While the CPUs should throttle their frequencies if they get too hot, and this is also true for the GPU, it may be that gettting close to the thermal limit for the GPU causes this problem.

I got the temperature widget. Will definitely try it out!

Secondly, I'd look at a static electric discharge as another potential source for your problem. Is your rMBP plugged into the power brick when this happens?

No static. I can reproduce it again and again when it's on battery power or not.

And lastly, what happens if you move your rMBP around when it is on your desk? Do you experience the same trouble? There may be a problem with the connector between the motherboard and the rMBP's display that only manifests itself when the display is at a certain angle or the laptop is being "physically stressed" by torquing it through how it is held while on your bed versus how it is held while on your desk.

It definitely only happens when it is not on a flat surface, such as my lap, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I made an appt for the Apple store. Let's see what they say.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I got the temperature widget. Will definitely try it out!

No static. I can reproduce it again and again when it's on battery power or not.

It definitely only happens when it is not on a flat surface, such as my lap, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I made an appt for the Apple store. Let's see what they say.

Hi,

When on AC power in your lap, is your powerbrick plugged into an AC outlet with a third prong (the ground prong)? I notice that my rMBP, even when the powerbrick is plugged into a grounded AC outlet, still gives me the slightest of shocks when I touch the aluminum case lightly with my finger.

What if you torque the case by putting a book under one corner of the rMBP while it is sitting on your desk?

What if you use a board (or a laptop stand such as the Rain Design one) while in bed? Does it still have this problem?

Regards,
Switon

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Haha. I'm not disrespecting anyone

----------

I don't. Just watching a movie or something.

----------

This is a good point. Might be a blanket. Still, none of my MBs have ever done this.

I got multiple videos of it happening, so I'll take it into the Apple Store tomorrow

You know the vents in the rMBP are now in the bottom as opposed to just the hinge on previous MBP's.

What I loved about Mac's was the intelligent design of the air intake vents. With PC laptops you have to be careful to place your PC Laptop in a flat surface as the vents are smack in the bottom.

With the new rMBP, its actually on the side and not in the bottom, but yet have to be careful not to block those.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hi,

When on AC power in your lap, is your powerbrick plugged into an AC outlet with a third prong (the ground prong)? I notice that my rMBP, even when the powerbrick is plugged into a grounded AC outlet, still gives me the slightest of shocks when I touch the aluminum case lightly with my finger.

Yes, third prong is being used.

What if you torque the case by putting a book under one corner of the rMBP while it is sitting on your desk?

It starts to flicker again

What if you use a board (or a laptop stand such as the Rain Design one) while in bed? Does it still have this problem?
Regards,
Switon

Doesn't do it nearly as much.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: loose connection...

Yes, third prong is being used.
It starts to flicker again
Doesn't do it nearly as much.

Hi,

Ahah! When you torque the laptop, even by simply resting it on a book under one corner, it begins to flicker. But when it is lying flat it does not flicker, correct? And resting it on a board when on your bed, it flickers much less. Then:

So it's most likely a loose connection somewhere in the motherboard->hinge->display, having eliminated the static discharge and blanket covering the intake air vent holes.

Good luck,
Switon

JustHere155

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Hey,

I recognize the flickering and is caused by the cable goes from motherboard to your screen. I suggest you take it to apple store ASAP.

Cheers!

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
They just sent it out.

lol, estimate just for diagnosis for $310. I'm buying AppleCare :D

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
UPDATE: got it back today. They ended up replacing the screen. And I went from a LG to the Samsung!

The total repair order cost was about $1,1XX. $310 was the diagnostic fee and rest was the display module.

Ridiculous.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
UPDATE: got it back today. They ended up replacing the screen. And I went from a LG to the Samsung!

The total repair order cost was about $1,1XX. $310 was the diagnostic fee and rest was the display module.

Ridiculous.

Why would you they make you pay for it?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Ridiculous.
The computer isn't a year old, it should all have been covered by warranty. Go back and ask for a refund of the repair price immediately.

zjazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Did you really paid that money? I don't think so...it suppose to be under warranty...

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If the OP had to pay for diagnostics, it sounds like it was taken to a third party repair shop. I don't think Apple retail stores, or authorized repair facilities charge for doing diagnostics under warranty.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Why would you they make you pay for it?

Oops, I should have worded it differently. It was covered under the standard one year. The tech showed me the repair invoice and that was the price for everything :eek:

----------

If the OP had to pay for diagnostics, it sounds like it was taken to a third party repair shop. I don't think Apple retail stores, or authorized repair facilities charge for doing diagnostics under warranty.

Correct. At the Apple Store, they don't charge for diagnostics if it was under warranty. If it isn't though, they do. The repair order says the cost = $0.00 because of the warranty. If I wasn't under warranty, it would have been $310, JUST for diagnostics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.