Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Axmann
macrumors member

iPad locked all of a sudden

I was scrolling through the menu on my iPad and I just finished moving some stuff to a folder, and all of a sudden I got a dark screen with the apple logo and then it came back and asked for a password. I didn't press any buttons. Also, the folder disappeared and the apps were thrown out of it.

What could cause that?
Axmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axmann View Post
I was scrolling through the menu on my iPad and I just finished moving some stuff to a folder, and all of a sudden I got a dark screen with the apple logo and then it came back and asked for a password. I didn't press any buttons. Also, the folder disappeared and the apps were thrown out of it.

What could cause that?
Looks like it is remote lock to me. Did you buy the iPad from Apple store or somewhere else? Or someone has your Apple ID and password. There is really nothing to do beside get the right password. If you got the iPad from legit source and you have proof of purchase, you might go to Apple Store.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Axmann
macrumors member

No, you misunderstand. It's as if it reset or something or went on standby. When I say it "locked", i mean with the pin I set up to put in when the lock screen comes up. I just put it in and it worked fine, of course.

I'm just wondering why it happened at all.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a

It may have been updating to 6.0ish, from OS 5. This will cause a restart. Typically the OS will download when the bandwidth is available and wait for you to request the update.

You may have downloaded an app that requires 6.0 or higher and approved the update, but turned it off or let is sleep before the update was complete. When you turned it back on the update would continue and restart at a "random" time. This would reset folders and erase pictures saved.

Seems like the most logical reason for what you are describing, but cannot tell without hooking up and checking the log.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

It was a bug, been mentioned before. Sometimes these things happen...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Axmann
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
It was a bug, been mentioned before. Sometimes these things happen...
So then there's nothing wrong with my iPad?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
Seems like the most logical reason for what you are describing, but cannot tell without hooking up and checking the log.
Can you instruct me how to do this?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Axmann
macrumors member

bumpbump.

Maybe I'm just getting too paranoid. Should I have then exchange it for a new one?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
bumpbump.

Maybe I'm just getting too paranoid. Should I have then exchange it for a new one?
Unless you can replicate what happened at the store, it's doubtful it would be exchanged. If by chance it does happen again, either take a photo of the screen (with a camera, of course) and take the iPad directly to your Apple store. With the photo.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:11 PM   #9
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
bumpbump.

I think you should return it and buy an Windows 8 tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors Rules
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:52 PM   #10
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, you misunderstand. It's as if it reset or something or went on standby. When I say it "locked", i mean with the pin I set up to put in when the lock screen comes up. I just put it in and it worked fine, of course.

I'm just wondering why it happened at all.
Your Springboard (i.e. iOS home screen) crashed. No big deal.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:40 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So then there's nothing wrong with my iPad?

----------

Can you instruct me how to do this?
I doubt there is anything wrong, it's not the first time or last the springboard crashed on someone. If it happens a lot then visit a Genius Bar if a restore does not solve the crashing. Good luck

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad