Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
iPhone 5 receives text message, but doesn't always make an audible sound. Beginning a few days ago, a few times per day I'll receive a text and the phone will vibrate, but make no sound. Other times it works as it should. Should I think this is hardware or software problem?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The iPhone won't make the sound when you receive a text and you are already in Messages. It is very annoying.

00h2itr

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Just upgraded from my 4S to 5, 2 days ago. Noticed this same symptom right off the bat.

Here's some background... I restored via iTunes from my 4S. I have message notifications turn off on the lock screen so I don't see what is being texted.

I've done the following:

If i'm in a message with person A, and just hit the top button to black out the screen, and person A texts me back I will receive no audible notification however the text arrives.

In the same scenario if message with person A is up, hit the top button and screen goes black but person B texts me, I will receive an audible notification.

If I'm texting person A, then after I sent my text and I hit the home button so that person A text history is not actively on the screen and then I receive a text, I will get audible notification.

I've also tested putting the baner notification back on. Guess what? I get audible notification. I turn it back off, nothing.

I'm going to reset my phone back to stock, and manually configure the phone with no restore. I want my phone to not display incoming texts but still provide audible alert on every single one.

I started on iOS 6.0.1 and saw there was an update to 6.0.2 so I updated hopting it would resolve the issue, it did not.

YMMV and HTH

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
This used to happen to me on iPhone 4.

It seems like a symptom that cropped up after the iOS was used for a time and got sloppy and would stop responding with its alerts perfectly.

Like it just got lazy.

Nothing in settings really made a difference.

Hard resets helped for awhile once in a while it seemed.

It such a weird organic problem.

How can a system so tightly integrated and locked have such a sloppy progressive change to stop working?

Like, nothing is editing the program that sets your alert tones from responding, so how can this issue even happen?

It's such a weird but real phantom issue.

It's also kinda scary because what if you miss an important message and can't trust your phone Anymore.

I wish they would fix this definitively with an update and rewrite and reaffirm this bit of code to make it as flawless as any other element of the OS since it is a critical and core component of the phone usage.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
Having the same issue. I thought it was me. I keep switching back and forth from vibrate to ring thinking it was on vibrate the whole time. It's really annoying when the phone isn't near me.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
The problem certainly is not localized to iMessages. I have seen the issue with voxer and google voice app. The problem must be deep down in ios and push.

It's very irritating. I wish apple would spend some of that 120 billion cash reserve to find this bug. If you can't trust your phone to give you alerts its worthless.

Hodges67814

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
This issue has been going on for a while for me. If I select the tone twice it will work. For example, go into tones, select preferred tone and go back to home screen and repeat the process. It will work for me if I do that, but since I turn my tones off at night, I have to do this process everyday.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This issue has been going on for a while for me. If I select the tone twice it will work. For example, go into tones, select preferred tone and go back to home screen and repeat the process. It will work for me if I do that, but since I turn my tones off at night, I have to do this process everyday.

Have you tried just using the "Do Not Disturb" feature?

Hodges67814

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2014
No, I haven't. Won't that turn off incoming calls? I just keep my texts turned off at night, but need my phone to still ring if a call comes through.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No, I haven't. Won't that turn off incoming calls? I just keep my texts turned off at night, but need my phone to still ring if a call comes through.

You can set it to allow only certain rings. I haven't played with it to set it such that it allows ALL rings and NO texts, so I don't have an answer for you there, sadly.

EDIT: Actually it states you can set to allow calls from either no one, everyone, or certain contacts. That, to me, implies it will still NOT let other alerts through. Maybe try that and see if it works?

Rjakuc

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
No sounds

I too have an iIOS7, IPhone 5. No sounds on texts, messages, anything but ringtones. Do not disturb is off. The side switch is on. I can get the sound on when I turn the phone off and on but it stops after one or two times. Also the keyboard clicks stop as well. Help!!!M

sideshow23bob

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2005
I had a similar issue with an iPhone 4. I took it to my Apple store and my helper guy fiddled with some settings and fixed it. I realize that's not helpful as I've forgotten what he recommended, but if you live by an Apple store, stop in and they'll be able to fix it.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I had a similar issue with an iPhone 4. I took it to my Apple store and my helper guy fiddled with some settings and fixed it. I realize that's not helpful as I've forgotten what he recommended, but if you live by an Apple store, stop in and they'll be able to fix it.

iOS settings are complex and all over the place. Every once and a while I'll take an hour out of my life and start digging through them all to try to get the damn phone to notify me as it should, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes nothing works because of app bugs that pop up with new versions. All course all of this headache could be solved instantly with a notification LED but that would be illegal.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS settings are complex and all over the place. Every once and a while I'll take an hour out of my life and start digging through them all to try to get the damn phone to notify me as it should, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes nothing works because of app bugs that pop up with new versions. All course all of this headache could be solved instantly with a notification LED but that would be illegal.
What exactly would be illegal? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.