Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
Can't restore iPhone 5 from iPhone 4S Backup

I just got my iPhone 5, and I'm trying to restore it from my 4S backup but every single time it gets done it says it couldn't do it because the backup was either "corrupted" or "not compatible"

Any ideas as to what could be going on?..

I've tried remaking the backup and restoring it from the freshly made one and it still won't work.

Last edited by SPNarwhal; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
SPNarwhal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Sounds like you are gonna have to do a fresh restore and load everything manually.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Sounds like you are gonna have to do a fresh restore and load everything manually.
How would I go about doing that?
I want all my images and text messages and such.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

When I say fresh restore I mean start all over. As in you'll have to reinstall all apps and pics manually. If the backup is corrupt I wouldn't suggest trying to restore to it as it might give you issues. So your texts and stuff you will not be able to keep them.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
When I say fresh restore I mean start all over. As in you'll have to reinstall all apps and pics manually. If the backup is corrupt I wouldn't suggest trying to restore to it as it might give you issues. So your texts and stuff you will not be able to keep them.
I need them though.

Here's a question I think I know the answer to.
Does the iPhone 4S need to be on the latest firmware when I make the backup? It's on 5.1 or something like that, the iPhone 5 is on 6.2

Pretty sure Firmware doesn't matter since I just backed up my Cousin's 3 that was running firmware 4 and restored it to an iPhone 4 that was running 6.2.. No issues.

This is a weird problem.

Especially since it goes through the entire "recover" until it tells me it's corrupted, and it obviously backs up something because it turns the name of my iPhone 5 to "iNarwhal 4S" which is the name of the 4S I'm porting over.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Well I don't know what to tell you. If it's saying the backup is corrupt I wouldn't want to use it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Maybe restore your 4S first then back it up again and restore to the 5? Only risk there is that you'll get the same error trying to restore your 4S.
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Chuchichan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNarwhal View Post
How would I go about doing that?
I want all my images and text messages and such.
You won't be able to restore an IOS 6.0... phone from an iOS 5.1... backup.

The only thing you could do is if you still have your iPhone 4S that is on iOS 5... you could restore your backup to that and then upgrade that phone to ios6 and then back it up and then use that backup on your iPhone 5.

If you don't have your old 4S, you could perhaps "Borrow" an iOS 5 iPhone and do it.
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:45 PM   #9
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchichan View Post
You won't be able to restore an IOS 6.0... phone from an iOS 5.1... backup.

The only thing you could do is if you still have your iPhone 4S that is on iOS 5... you could restore your backup to that and then upgrade that phone to ios6 and then back it up and then use that backup on your iPhone 5.

If you don't have your old 4S, you could perhaps "Borrow" an iOS 5 iPhone and do it.
Not so. I set up my iPhone 5 on launch day (iOS 6.0) using the backup of my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.2.1) that I had just run within the hour. The iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5.2.1 and my son is using it; works perfectly well, as does my iPhone 5 (now updated to iOS 6.0.2.)

OP, your iPhone 5 can't be running iOS 6.2. That's not out yet.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Not so. I set up my iPhone 5 on launch day (iOS 6.0) using the backup of my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.2.1) that I had just run within the hour. The iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5.2.1 and my son is using it; works perfectly well, as does my iPhone 5 (now updated to iOS 6.0.2.)

OP, your iPhone 5 can't be running iOS 6.2. That's not out yet.
Sorry, 6.0.2

And yeah, I don't think that's the case either since, like I said before, I restored an iOS6 iPhone 4 from the backup of an iOS4 iPhone 3.

Don't really understand what is going on really.. Maybe I'll call Apple, this shouldn't be happening.

I do have both the 4S and the 5 still, and I've recreated the backup and tried that as well but it doesn't work no matter what. I could always update the phone to iOS 6 and try it, but was hoping to keep it on iOS 5 to put it into retirement. (I don't sell my phones when I upgrade.)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:45 PM   #11
SPNarwhal
macrumors 65816

Update: It's because my backup was Encrypted, which says the only difference is that it will port over my saved passwords and such? Not sure why that would be incompatible, but oh well.. I made a new backup that wasn't encrypted and it restored onto the 5 completely fine.

I have another question, but will make a new thread for it since it's not really related, I hope that's ok. (Mods?)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:47 PM   #12
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Delighted to hear that you worked this problem out. Enjoy your newest iPhone!

(I never get rid of my previous iPhones, either. When I upgrade, I pass my previous one on to my son and take back the one he was using.)
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:34 AM   #13
jimmykimar
macrumors newbie

In iTunes, with the iPhone 4s connected, rightclick the iPhone under Devices. From the menu you get choose "restore from backup", choose a backup from before you connected the 4S for the first time....
jimmykimar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone