Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I just got my iPhone 5, and I'm trying to restore it from my 4S backup but every single time it gets done it says it couldn't do it because the backup was either "corrupted" or "not compatible"

Any ideas as to what could be going on?..

I've tried remaking the backup and restoring it from the freshly made one and it still won't work.

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
When I say fresh restore I mean start all over. As in you'll have to reinstall all apps and pics manually. If the backup is corrupt I wouldn't suggest trying to restore to it as it might give you issues. So your texts and stuff you will not be able to keep them.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
When I say fresh restore I mean start all over. As in you'll have to reinstall all apps and pics manually. If the backup is corrupt I wouldn't suggest trying to restore to it as it might give you issues. So your texts and stuff you will not be able to keep them.

I need them though.

Here's a question I think I know the answer to.
Does the iPhone 4S need to be on the latest firmware when I make the backup? It's on 5.1 or something like that, the iPhone 5 is on 6.2

Pretty sure Firmware doesn't matter since I just backed up my Cousin's 3 that was running firmware 4 and restored it to an iPhone 4 that was running 6.2.. No issues.

This is a weird problem.

Especially since it goes through the entire "recover" until it tells me it's corrupted, and it obviously backs up something because it turns the name of my iPhone 5 to "iNarwhal 4S" which is the name of the 4S I'm porting over.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Maybe restore your 4S first then back it up again and restore to the 5? Only risk there is that you'll get the same error trying to restore your 4S.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
How would I go about doing that?
I want all my images and text messages and such.

You won't be able to restore an IOS 6.0... phone from an iOS 5.1... backup.

The only thing you could do is if you still have your iPhone 4S that is on iOS 5... you could restore your backup to that and then upgrade that phone to ios6 and then back it up and then use that backup on your iPhone 5.

If you don't have your old 4S, you could perhaps "Borrow" an iOS 5 iPhone and do it.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You won't be able to restore an IOS 6.0... phone from an iOS 5.1... backup.

The only thing you could do is if you still have your iPhone 4S that is on iOS 5... you could restore your backup to that and then upgrade that phone to ios6 and then back it up and then use that backup on your iPhone 5.

If you don't have your old 4S, you could perhaps "Borrow" an iOS 5 iPhone and do it.

Not so. I set up my iPhone 5 on launch day (iOS 6.0) using the backup of my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.2.1) that I had just run within the hour. The iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5.2.1 and my son is using it; works perfectly well, as does my iPhone 5 (now updated to iOS 6.0.2.)

OP, your iPhone 5 can't be running iOS 6.2. That's not out yet.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Not so. I set up my iPhone 5 on launch day (iOS 6.0) using the backup of my iPhone 4 (iOS 5.2.1) that I had just run within the hour. The iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5.2.1 and my son is using it; works perfectly well, as does my iPhone 5 (now updated to iOS 6.0.2.)

OP, your iPhone 5 can't be running iOS 6.2. That's not out yet.

Sorry, 6.0.2

And yeah, I don't think that's the case either since, like I said before, I restored an iOS6 iPhone 4 from the backup of an iOS4 iPhone 3.

Don't really understand what is going on really.. Maybe I'll call Apple, this shouldn't be happening.

I do have both the 4S and the 5 still, and I've recreated the backup and tried that as well but it doesn't work no matter what. I could always update the phone to iOS 6 and try it, but was hoping to keep it on iOS 5 to put it into retirement. (I don't sell my phones when I upgrade.)

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Update: It's because my backup was Encrypted, which says the only difference is that it will port over my saved passwords and such? Not sure why that would be incompatible, but oh well.. I made a new backup that wasn't encrypted and it restored onto the 5 completely fine.

I have another question, but will make a new thread for it since it's not really related, I hope that's ok. (Mods?)

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Delighted to hear that you worked this problem out. Enjoy your newest iPhone! :)

(I never get rid of my previous iPhones, either. When I upgrade, I pass my previous one on to my son and take back the one he was using.)

jimmykimar

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
In iTunes, with the iPhone 4s connected, rightclick the iPhone under Devices. From the menu you get choose "restore from backup", choose a backup from before you connected the 4S for the first time....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.