Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Chuchichan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Selling an iphone 4...

I might upgrade to an iphone 5 in a month or so and was wondering if my current iphone 4 would have any value to someone from the US. I live in Japan and my iPhone is on the Softbank network.

If I do choose to sell it, what is the best way to prepare it? I would just need to take out the SIM card and restore it to the original factory settings?


Thanks...
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
You've to make sure it's unlocked first, so that it can be used on any foreign networks.

Then just erase all content and settings so it will be like new. Also double-check to make sure things like your Apple ID and iMessages are completely gone and nothing in calenders, contacts is left for safety measure.

Then I think you should be fine.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Chuchichan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
You've to make sure it's unlocked first, so that it can be used on any foreign networks.

Then just erase all content and settings so it will be like new. Also double-check to make sure things like your Apple ID and iMessages are completely gone and nothing in calenders, contacts is left for safety measure.

Then I think you should be fine.
Thanks for the reply. I've never got into unlocking or jailbreaking an iPhone. Is unlocking it "legal" as compared to jailbreaking? From what I understand, if a phone is jailbroken, Apple will not support it. Is it easy to unlock it? Would I do that or the service provider would need to do that?
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchichan View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've never got into unlocking or jailbreaking an iPhone. Is unlocking it "legal" as compared to jailbreaking? From what I understand, if a phone is jailbroken, Apple will not support it. Is it easy to unlock it? Would I do that or the service provider would need to do that?
Unlocking the phone is not the same as jailbreaking the phone. It merely "unlocks" the phone so that it can used for other service provider, so the phone will not be tied to Softbank only. However, some phones may already be unlocked, so I'm not sure for your case.

You can do it on your own, but I will leave someone with unlocking experience to guide you. Or you can try asking your service provider if you want to also.

That's all I can help you with. Gambatte kudasai!
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Chuchichan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Unlocking the phone is not the same as jailbreaking the phone. It merely "unlocks" the phone so that it can used for other service provider, so the phone will not be tied to Softbank only. However, some phones may already be unlocked, so I'm not sure for your case.

You can do it on your own, but I will leave someone with unlocking experience to guide you. Or you can try asking your service provider if you want to also.

That's all I can help you with. Gambatte kudasai!
Arigatou

I understand that they are different, I just wanted to see if unlocking was legal. Even if it's unlocked, would my phone (from Softbank) be compatible on some networks due to the hardware? So, if I do get it unlocked, if I sell it on ebay, I should definitely advertise that it was on the Softbank network in Japan and I'm not sure what networks it might work on elsewhere in the world?
Chuchichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC