Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Tony5787
macrumors member

Mac Mini with Ubuntu Server

Hi I'm looking at buying a Mac Mini (haven't decided on what model yet but most likely an Intel version) to install Ubuntu server on in order to create a LAMP stack for web development testing. What I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp or if I could (or should) just install Ubuntu as the sole OS. Thanks in advance.
Tony5787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5787 View Post
Hi I'm looking at buying a Mac Mini (haven't decided on what model yet but most likely an Intel version) to install Ubuntu server on in order to create a LAMP stack for web development testing. What I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp or if I could (or should) just install Ubuntu as the sole OS. Thanks in advance.
Why waste a mac mini for a test environment, unless you will use the mac mini in the end.

Just get an old PC, install Ubuntu and LAMP. Test what you need there, then decide what type pf hardware you will need in the end.

I'd recommend installing as the sole OS, unless you need something from OS X too. I've only used Win7 as a bootcamp so, I'm not even sure you could bootcamp Ubuntu.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Tony5787
macrumors member

Ok yeah the only reasons I was looking at a Mac Mini is because they use low power and have such a small form factor that I can just leave it next to my router and modem and be done with it. Plus they don't really sell for that much used anymore depending on the model.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Mac Mini is perfect for that. Definitely get an Intel model. The G4 models were outdated even when they were new. Also the Intel Core Solo models are a bit pokey today. I'd get a Core 2 Duo or newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5787 View Post
I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp
AFAIK Bootcamp is for Windows only. Bootcamp is two things: (1) Bootcamp Assistant which partitions the drive and sets it up for Windows installation, and (2) a collection of Windows drivers for the Apple hardware.

You can certainly dual boot if you like, but I don't see Bootcamp as very useful for an Ubuntu install.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Tony5787
macrumors member

Thanks for the info! I had read this article:

http://phildawson.tumblr.com/post/77...er-on-mac-mini

and mistakenly thought he had used Bootcamp to partition the drive but now I see he just partitioned it with Disk Utility. I've never used Bootcamp before so I wasn't aware that it was only for Windows. I'll definitely look for one with the specs you mentioned. Thanks again!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:22 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

Consider a Synology NAS instead. It's a really good LAMP server, low power consumption too. Also handles 3.5" HDDs.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
biggd
macrumors 6502

Lifehacker.com has a great article about how to unleash the power of your mac by using ubuntu/linux
biggd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Headtalk
macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with 16GB of memory for my lab machine using VMware fusion. You can snap backup the configuration for rev changes. You can also download prebuilt images from VMware. Here is a list of the my collection of images. I use 1 to 4GB for each image the performance is incredible with the ---1TB fusion drive it is like a bare metal install. Please give it a try before using bootcamp.

Windows 8
Windows 2008 Server R2
Windows XP
Windows 7
Backtrack (Ubuntu)
CentOS

Here is a link of available images (including lamp)

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/...ual-appliances

Greg
iPad 2 32GB
Headtalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini