Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Nexus 4 Display Quality?

I was considering buying the Nexus 4 to replace my Galaxy Nexus and supplement my iPhone 4S.

The reviews all pegged the phone as a winner - but then I saw my friend's in person.

The display is horrible.

The colors are washed out (compared to the iPhone's LED IPS, not just the Galaxy Nexus's Super AMOLED) and there's visible interlacing (not true interlacing, obviously, unless LG used an analog video signal for some reason).

Can someone tell me that these problems aren't widespread? I was hoping that there weren't any compromises to bring the price of the phone down to $300, but now it appears that Google skimped on the display - in my opinion, one of the worst places to compromise.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
maxosx
macrumors 68020

He obviously had a bad one.

My Nexus 4 has an excellent display.

So does my iPhone 5, two smartphones that are the best of the current crop.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #3
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
I was considering buying the Nexus 4 to replace my Galaxy Nexus and supplement my iPhone 4S.

The reviews all pegged the phone as a winner - but then I saw my friend's in person.

The display is horrible.

The colors are washed out (compared to the iPhone's LED IPS, not just the Galaxy Nexus's Super AMOLED) and there's visible interlacing (not true interlacing, obviously, unless LG used an analog video signal for some reason).

Can someone tell me that these problems aren't widespread? I was hoping that there weren't any compromises to bring the price of the phone down to $300, but now it appears that Google skimped on the display - in my opinion, one of the worst places to compromise.

Thanks.
Well, either my taste and perception is way off or your buddy had a bad unit because I find the screen on my Nexus 4 to be the closest I've seen to the quality of the iPhone. I personally dislike Super AMOLED, the over saturated colors look 'cartoonish' (sorry, couldn't find a better word for it, maybe artificial) vs. the more true colors of the iPhone and Nexus 4.

I also had a Galaxy Nexus and the screen on the Nexus 4 is infinitely better--not even close.
tbayrgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Ericcc
macrumors member

I did a side by side comparison with my gf's iPhone 5 when I got my Nexus. The screen on the Nexus is not as vibrant as the 5's. The colour temperature is different as well, which might have contributed to the look. However, it's not something that remotely affects daily use. The N4 screen by itself is a great screen.

And not too sure what you mean by interlacing. I don't see it during a video / scrolling or when the screen is static. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen that on a smartphone. Your friend's phone's probably defective.
Ericcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
It's better than any of the previous Nexuses, which were all AMOLED (though I'm not sure about first one?). Still a tad bit not as good as iPhone 5 but it's a stunning display nonetheless. It is IPS after all.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
roxxette
Banned

the screen is great mate, def. something wrong with your friends phone.

roxxette is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
w00t951
macrumors 68000

So a proper Nexus 4 has similar color saturation and display quality to an iPhone 4S, basically? That would be fantastic... Thanks everyone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices