Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I'd like to have a USB stick with a couple of utilities, Data Rescue 3 being one of them. However, it is not possible to copy the application to a USB stick. The copy process gets always interrupted with with the error message "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access “Data Rescue 3”".

I have several times set the rights for the application file to 777 (drwxrwxrwx) and also cleared the ACLs and the xatts. However, when I look at the file with Terminal it shows "drwxrwxrwx@" and the @ usually means that there are still extended file attributes.

Strange is that I can copy the file from Applications to the Desktop but I cannot copy it from Applications or the Desktop to a USB stick.

Does anybody know what is going on here and how I can force this file onto a USB stick? I guess it will certainly be possible as root. However, I have had things like this already several times and would like to find a way to copy such a file as a normal (admin) user.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I found a workaround by compressing the application file, copying the zip file onto the USB drive and decompressing it there. But I still would like to know what is going on here...

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I doubt that is a hole. I expect that they would be willing to help. I've never read anything in the many TOS that I've agreed to with them over the years saying I had to run DR3 (or any of their software) off of a CD/DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.