Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
The download page states that you can download it again to reset the timer.

I got a Blu-ray player christmas and I downloaded it to rip my blu-ray library so I still have 29 days left. :)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
http://www.makemkv.com/buy/

I believe it is only free for 30 days. I'm running the trial presently.

Once the trial period is over (and it only applies to BR capability), Mike (MakeMKV developer) will post a new registration code for you to put in. That will give you another 30 days. Have been doing this for a couple years now. However, I strongly urge everyone who like that app to support his efforts by purchasing the program.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Once the trial period is over (and it only applies to BR capability), Mike (MakeMKV developer) will post a new registration code for you to put in. That will give you another 30 days. Have been doing this for a couple years now. However, I strongly urge everyone who like that app to support his efforts by purchasing the program.

Wait....you've been accepting free codes for a couple years, but you urge others to support the developer and purchase the program? :confused:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Wait....you've been accepting free codes for a couple years, but you urge others to support the developer and purchase the program? :confused:
Yes, I know that seems odd. I am uncomfortable with the 3rd party that Mike uses for handling payments. It's a personal thing. Others, are very comfortable with the vendor. If he were to work through a different vendor, say PayPal, etc, I would buy in a minute.

So to all those who are ok with who he uses for payment, I encourage you to support the product and I certainly would if payments were made through a more traditional route.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
How is makemkv any different than handbrake?

Completely different. makemkv doesn't convert the audio or video in any way. It just puts it into a different container and does a good job of finding the various components and audio tracks on a disc that may contain several TV episodes, or a movie and some special features, commentary or other language tracks, etc. If you had a DVD or Blu-ray you wanted to put on your hard drive and make iTunes/Apple TV compatible you could:

1. Use MakeMKV to rip from the disc.
2. Use MP4Tools to convert the MKV to MP4, without recompressing the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.