Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:23 PM   #1
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to 210 Send a message via AIM to 210 Send a message via MSN to 210 Send a message via Yahoo to 210
Closing An Application By The Red Button

I know this is Windows-esque, but is there a way when you only have one window up of closing that application by clicking on the red cross, instead of the window closing but the application is still open? I do find it irritating that I have to - Q all the time and I can't even - W on the last window to close the application.

If you know what I'm talking about, is there a way of doing this?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Not that I know of. Personally I find Cmd+Q a heck of a lot faster. My hands are almost always on the keyboard though.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Thankfully no. This is the way Macs have always functioned. Many of us get annoyed when a Windows program quits just because we closed the last window.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:27 PM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

No, this is not possible without altering the code of the program. The reason for this is that most of these are apps that people might want to run with no windows open. So automatically quitting the app when the last window is closed would be counter-productive. (There are apps, like System Preferences, that don't have a function if there's no window open, so clicking the red button does in fact quit the entire program.)

I usually use Command-Q, but you have other options as well with the Quit item in the app's menu and the Quit item in the app's Dock icon.

Yes, it's a difference from Windows, but it's one that just about every Mac switcher adapts to rather quickly.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:31 PM   #5
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Another option you have is keeping the app open until you need to quit it (until you run out of room in RAM, for example), then hold down Command (), hit Tab to select the app you want to quit, then hit the Q key. You can repeat the Tab and Q sequences multiple times as long as you keep the Command () key pressed down.
TheAnswer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
Thankfully no. This is the way Macs have always functioned. Many of us get annoyed when a Windows program quits just because we closed the last window.
I still am somewhat surprised when applications like iPhoto actually quit-quit when you click the red button.

I know it's because it's a single-window application, but it just seems out-of-place when it does that.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 03:43 PM   #7
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswer View Post
Another option you have is keeping the app open until you need to quit it (until you run out of room in RAM, for example), then hold down Command (), hit Tab to select the app you want to quit, then hit the Q key. You can repeat the Tab and Q sequences multiple times as long as you keep the Command () key pressed down.
Hmm, you learn something new everyday. Thanks.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 04:04 PM   #8
nick004
macrumors regular

210, I have exactly the opposite problem. I switch to Mac last year, never going back. Anyway, I have to use Windows PC's at University and can't stand that I can't cammand + Q a program. It just the way my brain works these day. ALT + F4 just ain't the same :P
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:11 PM   #9
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to 210 Send a message via AIM to 210 Send a message via MSN to 210 Send a message via Yahoo to 210
Quit

Ideally, I would like the option of doing both; last window open will close the application and - Q does the same
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Command - Q works fine for me.

The likes of Windows Messenger would suffer - if you close the last window (i.e. a chat window) you want the whole program to exit?

Command - H is useful too.
Kilamite is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:17 PM   #11
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Amen.

Welcome to Mac. Deal with it
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:23 PM   #12
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Ideally, I would like the option of doing both; last window open will close the application and - Q does the same
But what about people who use the application with no windows open? What are they supposed to do if the app closes every time they close the last window?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:26 PM   #13
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Quote:
That would ruin the natural flow of millions of Mac users who didn't just recently switch.

Bad idea.

Think of it this way - when you close the last window, you haven't actually closed the last visible part of the app - the app's Menu Bar is still there. On Microsoft Windows, closing the last window also gets rid of the last Menu Bar.

Last edited by dpaanlka; Apr 5, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
dpaanlka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:31 PM   #14
TheAnswer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just upgrade your Mac with more RAM and leave the apps open...closing apps is so 1987.
TheAnswer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Voidness
macrumors 6502a

Yes, this someting I didn't understand in Mac OS X for a while. Why do some applications quit when you press the red button, but others keep running? I think I understand it now. Here's what I noticed:

Applications which can have multiple windows (such as Safari), or ones which have can have any functionality without its window open (such as iTunes or Mail), will stay running even if you close all its windows. Other applications will quit by pressing the red button.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 02:13 PM   #16
macrumors regular

Ok

I think I'll just do what TheAnswer says and add more RAM
Old May 7, 2007, 01:45 AM   #17
Klrbee25
macrumors member

Can't this be scripted? I'm too new to write the script myself, and I haven't found anything after searching around google. Oh expert script writers...where are you!!!???
Old May 7, 2007, 02:08 AM   #18
zephead
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Think of it this way - when you close the last window, you haven't actually closed the last visible part of the app - the app's Menu Bar is still there. On Microsoft Windows, closing the last window also gets rid of the last Menu Bar.
Hmm, I never thought of it that way! That's an interesting way to put it, since it's true.
Old May 7, 2007, 03:32 AM   #19
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
But what's the benefit? I mean, suppose I'm browsing the web with Safari. I then close the window through the Red X. The window closes but the app remains running. How does that help me? If I re-open Safari, will it be where it was when I closed the window? No, it's right back at the start.
Old May 7, 2007, 11:45 AM   #20
Cameront9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion View Post
But what's the benefit? I mean, suppose I'm browsing the web with Safari. I then close the window through the Red X. The window closes but the app remains running. How does that help me? If I re-open Safari, will it be where it was when I closed the window? No, it's right back at the start.
Well say you want to download something through safari in the background and don't want the window open. All you have to do is start the download, then close the Safari window. Safari's still running, since you didn't quit it, but you don't have any windows open. Seems like a benefit to me.
Cameront9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:12 PM   #21
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Because it takes the program a shorter amount of time to open a new window than load up entirely. Sure, the time difference may be relatively small on Safari, but on programs like Photoshop, having the program open all the time is something which I, as a designer, can't even begin to fathom being without.

EDIT: I just informally tested Safari. It took about 4 seconds from when I clicked the icon until the webpage came up in it's entirety. Then, I closed the window and clicked on Safari again, to get a new window. That time, it was well under two seconds.
tobefirst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:34 PM   #22
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Like all the other mac people here i like the way the red button works as opposed to the way it works in windows. Changing it now would utterly screw all the mac loyalist that have been doing it this way since the beginning of time.

Also, it might have helped to do a search before posting this question. It has been asked many, many, many times and it is one of those things a switcher has to get use to. Lets try not to beat a dead horse.
Old May 7, 2007, 12:41 PM   #23
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Quote:
What's the benefit of talking about this? This is the way it works on a Mac, and it isn't going to change. I understand, it is different from Windows. This may be strange and alien to some people, but you simply have to re-train yourself for this slight difference. I can think of lots of much worse things in Windows:
  • What is the benefit of having a menu bar waste space in every single window?
  • What is the benefit of having a program completely quit just because you closed the last window? Now I have to wait for this crap to re-launch?
  • What is the benefit of maximizing every pointless window to take up the entire screen?
  • What exactly is the benefit of Flip 3D??? Is there one? Is it not exactly the same as Alt-Tab? Does it serve any purpose at all?
Old May 8, 2007, 09:17 AM   #24
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefirst View Post
Because it takes the program a shorter amount of time to open a new window than load up entirely.
It's neglible even on my 1.25Ghz Mac Mini. So for all intents and purposes, there is no benefit.

Quote:
Sure, the time difference may be relatively small on Safari, but on programs like Photoshop, having the program open all the time is something which I, as a designer, can't even begin to fathom being without.
If that is the case, why close the window at all? Just minimize the app away, and you are all set.

As to the example of downloading something in the background.... Well, I can do that in Windows and Firefox without any problems. I can jsut close the browser-window, while leaving the doanload-window open.
Old May 8, 2007, 09:25 AM   #25
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
What's the benefit of talking about this? This is the way it works on a Mac, and it isn't going to change.
I'm not asking for it to be changed, I'm just asking what benefit does the Mac-way offer when compared to the "Windows-way".

Quote:
I can think of lots of much worse things in Windows:
Your list is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, and it seems that you are assuming that I hate how Mac works, whereas I prefer how Windows works? But anyway...

Quote:
[*]What is the benefit of having a menu bar waste space in every single window?
The menubar is closer to the contents of the app. Also, per-window menubars work better with multiple monitors and it makes it more obvious to determine which app the menubar is attached to. that said, I prefer the Mac-menubar.

Quote:
[*]What is the benefit of having a program completely quit just because you closed the last window? Now I have to wait for this crap to re-launch?
if you simply want the app to "go away" without closing it, you can minimize it. That way you can actually continue from where you left off. And I can (again) repeat my question: what benefit is there in running an app without any way of actually USING the app? The fact that it opens a fraction of a second faster the next time you launch the app?

Quote:
[*]What is the benefit of maximizing every pointless window to take up the entire screen?
Well, I have noticed that it helps me focus on the task at hand when I can only see the one app I'm using.

Quote:
[*]What exactly is the benefit of Flip 3D???
Beats me.

But seriously: I asked a question about the benefit the Mac-way offers when compared to the Windows-way. And what did you do? Say that there's no point in discussing it since it will not be changed, and then you proceeded to whine about Windows. "This is the way it has always been and this is the way it shall always be! So stop talking about it!"

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store