Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

If you could go back in time...

Knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time to college again would you have studied something else and taken a different route in life? Were your efforts worth what you've earned? If not, what do you think you'd be doing?

Last edited by Gutwrench; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Heh. On one hand, I was studying completely the wrong thing, and went astray for ~7 years for nothing. However, I wouldn't have met my SO if I went down the "right" path.

So... no.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:56 PM   #3
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

I don't know. I'm quite happy the way things worked out for me, but I'm so hopelessly curious I'd probably go study something else just to mix things up!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Mousse
macrumors 65816

I would. I would have gone to Harvard instead and asked to be roommates with Bill Gates and Paul Allen. Like the old saying goes: "It's not what you know, it's who you know." I could have been the Marcus Crassus of the First Triumvirate. I could have been the Joe Besser of the 3 Stooges. I could have been the Ronald Wayne of Computers, Inc.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time to college again would you have studied something else and taken a different route in life? Were your efforts worth what you've earned? If not, what do you think you'd be doing?
If I knew what I know now, I'd go back solely for the social aspect. I was a quiet, withdrawn, yet driven and egotistical in college. I am now much more outgoing, but much more laid back, while still being driven. I tend to get along with people a lot more now, and wish I could have experienced that in college (graduated 15 years ago).

As far as changing my field of study, no way (I changed it at the end of my freshman year). I love what I do and it's what I wanted to do since I was a kid.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

Yep, would have gone into some sort of engineering/science/IT major instead of my B.A. in Communications/Journalism. Would have been much easier to find a suitable job after graduation.
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:08 PM   #7
SandboxGeneral

If I could I would have liked to have gone for psychology and/or behavioral sciences rather than computers and networks.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

I did. BS in computer science, BA in graphic design, AA in boatbuilding. Currently studying environmental science with a focus on sustainable urban agriculture. Life is a learning experience. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

I was a scholarshiped athlete which demanded a large time commitment so I picked an easy but pretty worthless major. I had a great experience and suppose I wouldn't do it differently but today a couple decades later it's tempting. After college I went into the service, then college again. I've retired from one career and now on a second path.

Any physicians Participating here? I wonder if they feel medical school was worth it.

Last edited by Gutwrench; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Poor grammar and English.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 PM   #10
daneoni
macrumors G4

I'd go back to the year 1999 and buy a boatload of /google stock. And of course change some of the decisions i made...or didn't make as it turns out.

Probably warned some people i know/knew who ended up making mistakes as well...some of which proved fatal.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Pretty much the question asked in Ken Grimwood's novel Replay, which hopefully will get made into a movie someday.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Invest everything in gold when I started work 23 years ago. I would have been retired by now!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:15 AM   #13
HectorBrower85
macrumors newbie

Life's been good for me so far but if I knew how some things would change beforehand, I'd definitely be more rich!
HectorBrower85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:12 AM   #14
Mord
macrumors G4

I'm pretty much fine with what I did, but if I could preserve my current life, spouse and living situation I'd have studied pure math.

Through studying Physics, computer science and ElecEng I've come to appreciate just how beautiful mathematics can be, I think focusing on that would have set me up better in life.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion