Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:38 PM   #1
pottmi
macrumors newbie

Explain this quote from apple.com

At this URL:
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

There is this quote:
Packaging volumes reduced by 25 percent for up to a 45 percent reduction in aircraft usage.

My question is:
How would a 25% reduction in volume convert to a 45% reduction in airplane usage?
pottmi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

The angles perhaps?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Just shooting in the dark, but if they are predominantly shipped by aircraft, but some are shipped by other methods (actual ship?) then you could see a larger overall percentage of reduction if you examine just the aircraft shipments.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:17 PM   #4
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

exramoore is correct.

They have a brief explanation using other products here
http://www.apple.com/environment/#transportation

Quote:
Smaller packaging.
Apple employs teams of design and engineering experts who develop product packaging that’s slim and light yet protective. Efficient packaging design not only reduces materials and waste, it also helps reduce the emissions produced during transportation.

For example, the packaging for iPhone 4 is 42 percent smaller than for the original iPhone shipped in 2007. That means that 80 percent more iPhone 4 boxes fit on each shipping pallet, more pallets fit on each boat and plane, and fewer boats and planes are used — resulting in fewer CO2 emissions.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:40 PM   #5
greg555
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottmi View Post
At this URL:
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

There is this quote:
Packaging volumes reduced by 25 percent for up to a 45 percent reduction in aircraft usage.

My question is:
How would a 25% reduction in volume convert to a 45% reduction in airplane usage?
Probably related to the rounded fuselage. With a thinner box you can use more of the curved edge space that used to be wasted.

Greg
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

I think it just means they can fit more computers on a single shipment from China because they can pile more devices onto a shipping pallet. Height and width of the cargo area is the limitation. Shippers don't ship bulk materials loose. They are stacked and sealed onto pallets.

Last edited by VenusianSky; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
VenusianSky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion