Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #26
syd430
Guest
 
IGZO or GTFO
  5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:51 PM   #27
hayesk
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Looks like Apple will have to go back to Samsung..........Samsung is the only one who can supply enough quality panels at this point with a rapid shift in production. I also bet that Samsung already has pre-production displays with IGZO transistors in them already.

----------



Foot in mouth. See the PatentlyApple link where Sharp rejects Apple.
See "face saving" part of article.
hayesk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:56 PM   #28
majordude
macrumors 68020
 
majordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hootersville
I'm a fan of Samsung displays and hate LG's. Sharp and Toshiba are right on the heals on Samsung... so I am excited for Sharp.
majordude is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:59 PM   #29
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by majordude View Post
I'm a fan of Samsung displays and hate LG's. Sharp and Toshiba are right on the heals on Samsung... so I am excited for Sharp.
Actually, Sharp is right on the border of bankruptcy and Toshiba is in pretty bad shape, too.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:06 AM   #30
majordude
macrumors 68020
 
majordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hootersville
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Actually, Sharp is right on the border of bankruptcy and Toshiba is in pretty bad shape, too.
Well, if you walk into Best Buy and just look at the TVs, you're eye is attracted to the two brands that are in trouble.
majordude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:10 AM   #31
MattInOz
macrumors 68030
 
MattInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Actually, Sharp is right on the border of bankruptcy and Toshiba is in pretty bad shape, too.
All the more reason to find a nice high demand client with buckets of cash and more as much production as needed to servicing them.
__________________
There is no such thing as "Collective Wisdom"
[ iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, 13" MacBookPro 2.7Ghz, 27"Al iMac i7, Black MacBook 13"]
MattInOz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #32
UKBeast
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Turkey
I am not interested in better quality since ip5 screen is already good enough but for the battery power it is curicial.

how much improvement will it gain ? can we use iphone 4 or 5 days with one full charge ?
__________________
13'' MBP Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram + 128 GB SSD
Apple TV 3, iPod Shuffle 2GB 4th Gen
iPAD 3rd Gen 16gb WiFi
iPhone 5
UKBeast is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:17 AM   #33
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
All the more reason to find a nice high demand client with buckets of cash and more as much production as needed to servicing them.
Wasn't there a rumor that Apple was giving Sharp a couple of billion dollars? That and the Sharp press release that products with Sharp IGZO panels will begin shipping in 2013. Add the rumor of a iPad 5 coming in 3 months and it looks like the pieces are coming together for Apple's 2013 iPad/iPhone lineup.
__________________
iPhone 5s (64GB) | iPad Air (128GB)
dampfnudel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 AM   #34
washburn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
does this mean other products will see IGZO too? like Macbook air MBPr etc
washburn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 AM   #35
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
All the more reason to find a nice high demand client with buckets of cash and more as much production as needed to servicing them.
Or better yet is to reward Samsung for actually being able to mass produce quality components profitably and in a timely manner and all the while spending over $40 billion in R&D each year. That takes skill which Sharp and Toshiba don't have anymore. Samsung's R&D spending is much greater than even that of Apple's R&D and advertising spending combined.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:19 AM   #36
majordude
macrumors 68020
 
majordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hootersville
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBeast View Post
I am not interested in better quality since ip5 screen is already good enough but for the battery power it is curicial.
I'd like longer battery life too!
majordude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:21 AM   #37
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
Wasn't there a rumor that Apple was giving Sharp a couple of billion dollars? That and the Sharp press release that products with Sharp IGZO panels will begin shipping in 2013. Add the rumor of a iPad 5 coming in 3 months and it looks like the pieces are coming together for Apple's 2013 iPad/iPhone lineup.
See the PatentlyApple article from today where Sharp has stopped supplying IGZO panels to Apple because the price was too low to make a profit.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 AM   #38
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
See the PatentlyApple article from today where Sharp has stopped supplying IGZO panels to Apple because the price was too low to make a profit.
If they stopped supplying IGZO panels, could that mean Apple now has a significant supply on hand for the iPad 5 or at least enough to only require a small number of IGZO panels from Samsung (if Samsung is allowed to produce IGZO panels)???
__________________
iPhone 5s (64GB) | iPad Air (128GB)
dampfnudel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 AM   #39
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I thought this was basically a sure thing already, no?
zbarvian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:32 AM   #40
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
If they stopped supplying IGZO panels, could that mean Apple now has a significant supply on hand for the iPad 5 or at least enough to only require a small number of IGZO panels from Samsung (if Samsung is allowed to produce IGZO panels)???
I doubt it. Sharp has been having a hard enough time as it is just to find enough cash for day to day operations.

And yes, Samsung can produce IGZO panels. The IGZO part are the transistors and Sharp did not invent them.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 AM   #41
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
I doubt it. Sharp has been having a hard enough time as it is just to find enough cash for day to day operations.

And yes, Samsung can produce IGZO panels. The IGZO part are the transistors and Sharp did not invent them.
Well, let's hope we get a IGZO iPad next year (hoping for a March release), because I think that's the only way for it to lose some significant weight. A bulky 5th generation iPad would suck. As for the next iPhone, more battery power would be a nice benefit from an IGZO panel.
__________________
iPhone 5s (64GB) | iPad Air (128GB)
dampfnudel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:54 AM   #42
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
So, lately Android devices get the best hardware much sooner than Apple devices. Apple has not been able to switch to OLED for many years now. And now they can't even get LCD IZGO. That's a major disadvantage of Apple strategy - having only one device model automatically means that this is a mid-range model. New tech supplies are always limited.
lilo777 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:08 AM   #43
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000
 
pgiguere1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
So, lately Android devices get the best hardware much sooner than Apple devices. Apple has not been able to switch to OLED for many years now. And now they can't even get LCD IZGO. That's a major disadvantage of Apple strategy - having only one device model automatically means that this is a mid-range model. New tech supplies are always limited.
Err, it's more like the other way around.

IPS is superior to OLED and it's only recently that Android hardware is starting to switch from OLED to IPS. See the Nexus 4 compared to older Nexuses, HTC One X/DNA, the Nexus tablets and the Lumia 920 / HTC One 8 on the WP8 side.

The only major company still putting OLED in their flagships is Samsung (Galaxy SIII, Note 2, Galaxy Nexus) and those are the ones with displays that feel outdated now when you compare them to the competition. Reviews put down their (relatively) bad display and use of PenTile subpixel matrix and hopefully Samsung will switch to IPS like all others for the GS4.

Apple switching to OLED would be a huge step backwards considering that the iPhone 4 from 2.5 years ago still beat most OLED displays on so many levels.
pgiguere1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:08 AM   #44
sennekuyl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
What's the bet that Apple would use this technology to make the iphone thinner and lighter overall, rather than improving the battery life?
Unfortunately it isn't a long shot.

Please Apple use the extra space to increase the battery life! (Even though we are all aware that sometimes a bigger battery doesn't see a proportional value in battery capacity.)
sennekuyl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:25 AM   #45
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Maybe they can use it on the next iMac to make it even thinner
Lancer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:33 AM   #46
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Err, it's more like the other way around.

IPS is superior to OLED and it's only recently that Android hardware is starting to switch from OLED to IPS. See the Nexus 4 compared to older Nexuses, HTC One X/DNA, the Nexus tablets and the Lumia 920 / HTC One 8 on the WP8 side.

The only major company still putting OLED in their flagships is Samsung (Galaxy SIII, Note 2, Galaxy Nexus) and those are the ones with displays that feel outdated now when you compare them to the competition. Reviews put down their (relatively) bad display and use of PenTile subpixel matrix and hopefully Samsung will switch to IPS like all others for the GS4.

Apple switching to OLED would be a huge step backwards considering that the iPhone 4 from 2.5 years ago still beat most OLED displays on so many levels.
Samsung is not switching to LCD. They always had superior LCD panels but for their high end phones they use OLED. They do use LCD for cheap phones - always did. They also release some cheaper versions of high end phones for poor countries with LCD. Nexus 10 uses LCD because OLED panel with such high resolution would be prohibitively expensive. The biggest OLED screen Samsung produces in volume is a 7.7 screen in Galaxy Tab. Not all OLED panels use pentile matrix and the issue is becoming irrelevant anyway when pixel density reaches 300 ppi. Apple calls it "retina" because you can't see pixels and when you can't see pixels, you obviously can't see subpixels. And BTW Samsung will soon switch to IGZO for OLED.
lilo777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:21 AM   #47
pearvsapple
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
We need IGZO 4k resolution for iMac and Cinema Displays.
pearvsapple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:28 AM   #48
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA USA
Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
My guess is Apple might be wanting Sharp's production lines to make the much-rumored Apple-branded television set in 46" to 65" sizes, using IGZO-technology LCD panels.
__________________
3G iPod nano (8 GB teal blue case), 7G iPod nano (16 GB blue case), 4G iPod touch (32 GB), iPad Air "Silver" (32 GB), iPhone 6 (64 GB Space Grey)
SactoGuy18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:33 AM   #49
Danyboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
Sounds good and thinner glass will probably be lighter but I hope Apple stops trying to make things thinner just for the sake of thin or for bragging rights. At some point it becomes counter productive.
Making things thinner is also a trap. Maybe you can do it this year and brag about it, but what if next year you need to add something new, like NFC or haptic feedback and you could do it but... that requires to make the device 1 mm thicker! And you can not do it, because you just made it too thinner last year and brag about it! It's just a stupid marketing trap!
Danyboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:42 AM   #50
gto55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tel Aviv
Why doesn't Apple join Qualcomm ?

Last edited by gto55; Dec 27, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
gto55 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple's iPad Air Adopts IGZO Technology for Thinner, Lower-Power Displays MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 189 Aug 4, 2014 09:55 AM
Apple to Release Thinner Fifth-Generation iPad and Retina iPad Mini in Last Three Months of 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 190 Sep 25, 2013 07:00 PM
Apple to Adopt IGZO Displays for Future iPads and MacBooks? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 83 Aug 19, 2013 03:42 PM
Why might Apple not use Sharp's new IGZO displays in the next MBAs? Yixian MacBook Air 20 Jun 1, 2013 12:59 AM
Sketchy Claims of Revamped iPad with IGZO Display and Thinner Enclosure in Late 2012 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 55 Jul 11, 2012 06:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC