Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Hi, I have been lurking for a while to get the mac rumors and created an account long time ago (I think) but I can't remember the username so I had to create a new account :rolleyes:

Anyways, I sold my macbook and am waiting for my new iMac which is still not in stock :( Problem is, I need to work on some stuff and I have access to use my friend's imac. Can I create a new user name on his imac and reinstall a couple applications from my Time Machine? I remember I could move the files manually but don't recall anything about installing 1 or 2 softwares without retrieving a full backup.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Yes you can create a new user name on your friends iMac. Just go into the System preferences and check accounts, then create a new user name. It is very advantageous as it will give you a user name and password which will secure your privacy and ofcourse you can install new programs using your new account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.