Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
mifloma
macrumors newbie

Problems after installing SSD as second drive.

Hey everybody,

first i want to say this i really a great forum. I've read many times in it. Unfortunately my first post here is because of a problem.

I've installed a Samsung 840 SSD to the second SATA-Port of my iMac along this tutorial: Installing iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2428 Dual Hard Drive Kit. HDD is still on first SATA-Port, OpticalDrive is still on thirst SATA-Port. Then i've installed Mountain Lion on SSD and made it bootable. SSD and HDD work fine. But, after this modification i have problems with all USB-Devices, Firewire-Devices and the OpticalDrive. DataStreams break up constantly, so transfering data to external devices is very slow and jerky, also reading from DVD. Burning a DVD is really impossible because break of DataStream. Getting following error: Unable to burn. The disc drive didn't respond properly and can't recover or retry. Sometimes I also loose connection to USB-Devices. Everything worked fine with Lion and without SSD.

My first idea was, that the SSD slows down the USB-Controller but i have no idea why the OpticalDrive and Firewire are affected too. Maybe then the problem is the Bus between controllers and CPU/Ram? Does anybody know something about this problem?
mifloma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:51 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Seems like a power problem, probably the power management has to be reset, this might solve the problem.

Try a SMC reset.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
mifloma
macrumors newbie

Ok, ich have new findings

Firewire and USB seem to be ok. Did some tests and transfer-rates are high enough and near-constant. Exceptional case: Writing small files to an USB-Stick is very slow (less then 2 MB/s).

OpticalDrive also works but it performs very slow (dont know how is was before adding the SSD). It reads a DVD-R with 3x. Furthermore I was able to burn down a CD without errors. dont know why it has problems with burning a DVD.

One problem still exists: After updating to Mountain Lion i can not burn with my external USB Burning Drive anymore. Mac OS doesnt accept it as Burning-Drive.
mifloma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifloma View Post
Ok, ich have new findings

Firewire and USB seem to be ok. Did some tests and transfer-rates are high enough and near-constant. Exceptional case: Writing small files to an USB-Stick is very slow (less then 2 MB/s).

OpticalDrive also works but it performs very slow (dont know how is was before adding the SSD). It reads a DVD-R with 3x. Furthermore I was able to burn down a CD without errors. dont know why it has problems with burning a DVD.

One problem still exists: After updating to Mountain Lion i can not burn with my external USB Burning Drive anymore. Mac OS doesnt accept it as Burning-Drive.
Are there any runaway processes on the mac, open Activity monitor, select all Processes and see if there is a process which uses a lot of resources.

You might find a new driver for that external on the brands Site.

Did you reset SMC by the way?

Edit: Small files are always slower to copy as far as I know.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac