Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Any 2.5" SATA caddy works, I use Seagate Goflex adaptors (though designed for their external disks they do work with any SATA drive) as I already have them to hand and spares can be picked up cheaply. They come in USB2, USB3, FW800 and Thunderbolt flavours.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Where does it say it comes with data transfer cable? Get yourself an enclosure and put that SSD in it. Do some research before buying something.:confused:

Actually, some of the Samsung 840s do come in a "kit" that includes a transfer cable and perhaps this is what got the OP confused.

Really no need to be rude either way.

LAFUNGA

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
You will need to update Firmware first

Having just fitted a 840 pro SSD to my mac i would definitely advise updating the firmware on your SSD before putting any data on the SSD as the firmware update is a destructive update, by the way you will have to update the firmware by connecting the ssd to a windows machine via Samsungs Magician software and this connection will have to be made via a specific usb to sat 3 cable as a pose to via a caddy cable which has usb plugs on both ends, this lead is very important as the magician software will not recognise the ssd otherwise. I am not sure why this is but it is the only way, i found all this out the hard way. Hence i would advise buying a usb to Sata 3 cable independant of a caddy, the caddy being an option but the cable is not if you wish to upgrade the firmware, i bought mine off e bay for £5.

Hope that helps

qwerty123123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Where does it say it comes with data transfer cable? Get yourself an enclosure and put that SSD in it. Do some research before buying something.:confused:

crucial M4 came with it. assumed samung 840 would do the same. they should have included it though... its in the instruction manuel for christsake. it kinda felt like the moment when you buy a printer... go home... set up the printer... look at the last step in the manuel where it says "connect the printer to the computer with the cable"...look for the non-existant cable... then go back to the store to buy the damn cable. you get what im trying to say? its kinda stupid to not include the cable when the consumer clearly needs it.

----------

Any 2.5" SATA caddy works, I use Seagate Goflex adaptors (though designed for their external disks they do work with any SATA drive) as I already have them to hand and spares can be picked up cheaply. They come in USB2, USB3, FW800 and Thunderbolt flavours.

well thats good mine should be coming in next week. thanks!

----------

Having just fitted a 840 pro SSD to my mac i would definitely advise updating the firmware on your SSD before putting any data on the SSD as the firmware update is a destructive update, by the way you will have to update the firmware by connecting the ssd to a windows machine via Samsungs Magician software and this connection will have to be made via a specific usb to sat 3 cable as a pose to via a caddy cable which has usb plugs on both ends, this lead is very important as the magician software will not recognise the ssd otherwise. I am not sure why this is but it is the only way, i found all this out the hard way. Hence i would advise buying a usb to Sata 3 cable independant of a caddy, the caddy being an option but the cable is not if you wish to upgrade the firmware, i bought mine off e bay for £5.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the head up.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
crucial M4 came with it. assumed samung 840 would do the same. they should have included it though... its in the instruction manuel for christsake. it kinda felt like the moment when you buy a printer... go home... set up the printer... look at the last step in the manuel where it says "connect the printer to the computer with the cable"...look for the non-existant cable... then go back to the store to buy the damn cable. you get what im trying to say? its kinda stupid to not include the cable when the consumer clearly needs it.

I bought a M4 and it didn't come with any cable. I've bought a lot of internal and external HDD and it's common that internal HDD doesn't come with any cable while external always come with cable. These SSD are for internal storage so i don't see why they need any cable. If i buy any external HDD then they should include the cable.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

My Crucial M4 did not come with it.
You bought the "kit" version of Crucial.
In fact, you bought the non kit version. Do some research.

Buy a enclosure or SATA cable cheap and just put it in there.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
If your Mac has USB 3.0 I suggest getting an enclosure for that. OWC sales them for $20. Transfer speeds are so much faster. It only took me 8 minutes to transfer 74GB of data.

paul-n

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
The comparison between a printer with missing connection cable and a ssd are totally wrong. I agree with the printer, because it is mandatory. But a SSD can be mounted inside many computers without the need of an usb adapter. If you need one just buy an external enclosure were you can put your old hdd later into.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Use the one that came with your crucial?

What's the big deal?

Or just get a cheapo transfer cable. You use it once and it's nice to have one on the side sometimes.

Personally, I use the crappy external connector on a Vantec enclosure. Works fine everytime.

----------

The comparison between a printer with missing connection cable and a ssd are totally wrong. I agree with the printer, because it is mandatory. But a SSD can be mounted inside many computers without the need of an usb adapter. If you need one just buy an external enclosure were you can put your old hdd later into.

Still, though. For example, if Epson includes a cable with their printer, the cables are usually $20-$25 (retail) and Epson cannot include for example a Monoprice cable just to save money. They must include retail cables...so in turn to save money and make their products cheaper, they do not include it with the product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.