Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:55 AM   #1
PhiladelphiaX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I messed up badly....

So basically, I've been looking into iPhone 4S for a while now, finally got it today and in the store I got the black one...

A few hours after testing I 100% know in my heart that I want the white one... problem is, I'm in Indiana right now (and bought the phone here too)

I'm going to be in Illinois tomorrow... I have two questions:


1.) Since I got the iPhone 4S yesterday, can I return it after 1 day for not liking the color if I have my receipt (physical and mail)?


2.) Do I have to return the iPhone in the same store I bought it? Or are they universal for return policy? (the Apple store in Indiana is 2 hours away.. can't drive through that blizzard again...)


Help me out guys...
PhiladelphiaX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You have the standard 14 day return, but I'm not certain you can swap it due to not liking the colour...You can however get a refund, then buy a white one a day or so down the line.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:59 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
You can return the iPhone to any apple store if you bought it from the Apple store.
No need to feel dramatic about it. Good luck.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:30 AM   #4
PhiladelphiaX
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You can return the iPhone to any apple store if you bought it from the Apple store.
No need to feel dramatic about it. Good luck.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Can I simply tell them I wasn't satisfied with the black colored iPhone and be able to switch it in for a white one? Or would I have to return it, then come back later and buy the white one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
You have the standard 14 day return, but I'm not certain you can swap it due to not liking the colour...You can however get a refund, then buy a white one a day or so down the line.
Hey so I basically can't tell them that I didn't like the color I chose and have to lie to them? That doesn't sound right... are you absolutely positive?
PhiladelphiaX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:38 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply. Can I simply tell them I wasn't satisfied with the black colored iPhone and be able to switch it in for a white one? Or would I have to return it, then come back later and buy the white one?



Hey so I basically can't tell them that I didn't like the color I chose and have to lie to them? That doesn't sound right... are you absolutely positive?
No, but it's not a real reason to return it...If you get a smart and friendly Genius you should be fine, bit there are always those who insist on "Letter of the law" Rule is rules types....Give it a shot, you can always take it someplace else...Not a big deal.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks

Last edited by Macman45; Dec 27, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Typo
Macman45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:41 AM   #6
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
The grass is always greener on the other side my friend. You will probably put a case on it anyway.. so the colour really doesn't matter..
yinz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:03 AM   #7
aleni
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
You can't go wrong with the black. It's sleeker, and the most important thing is the black bezel blends nicely with the screen while the white bezel seems a distraction to your eyes.

And the horrifying story of the white is sometimes dusts get stuck on the home button and the plastic covering the side of the screen gets dirty overtime.
aleni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8
PhiladelphiaX
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thanks for the advice, guys. But after extensively toying around with my uncle's and cousin's white iphones, I've decided that I want it instead. Going white with my iPhone for a change.

Basically this thread is asking "could I possibly return it to an Apple store in a different state in perfect condition,( stickers intact, fingertips still there, cords put back, and iPhone bubble sheet put back) and exchange for a white one?

I haven't heard any problems about white, and when it comes down to it, I like using white more -- feels more like a phone because I'm not constantly stressing about the finger prints, smudges and tiny dust/scratches all the time (they standout on the black one). Bezel is not an issue as I watch all my content on my iPad.


Can anyone verify if an exchange after one day with a receipt is possible? I read Apple's return policy on their site and everything that I read indicates that I can swap within the 14 window period. No restocking fees or anything. I'll call the store later today when they actually open, but I was curious last night
PhiladelphiaX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. But after extensively toying around with my uncle's and cousin's white iphones, I've decided that I want it instead. Going white with my iPhone for a change.

Basically this thread is asking "could I possibly return it to an Apple store in a different state in perfect condition,( stickers intact, fingertips still there, cords put back, and iPhone bubble sheet put back) and exchange for a white one?

I haven't heard any problems about white, and when it comes down to it, I like using white more -- feels more like a phone because I'm not constantly stressing about the finger prints, smudges and tiny dust/scratches all the time (they standout on the black one). Bezel is not an issue as I watch all my content on my iPad.


Can anyone verify if an exchange after one day with a receipt is possible? I read Apple's return policy on their site and everything that I read indicates that I can swap within the 14 window period. No restocking fees or anything.
Providing it was bought from an Apple store, and you have the box and receipt, you can return it for any reason within 14 days. They'll be perfectly happy to either refund, or swap it for a white one.
Brian Y is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #10
PhiladelphiaX
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
Providing it was bought from an Apple store, and you have the box and receipt, you can return it for any reason within 14 days. They'll be perfectly happy to either refund, or swap it for a white one.
Straightforward and to the point! Thank you, I appreciate that answer. Looks like I'll be heading back to the Apple store later today.

Thanks for the help, everyone
PhiladelphiaX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:09 AM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Within the first 14 days no real reason is needed. Hell, even MacMall did an exchange yesterday from a black mini iPad to a white mini iPad. (At their B&M store)

So many people feel this dying need to lie and it's silly.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Eitel
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Just be careful of them closing your account when you return the phone.
Eitel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:34 AM   #13
sviato
macrumors 68020
 
sviato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: HR 9038 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
No, but it's not a real reason to return it...If you get a smart and friendly Genius you should be fine, bit there are always those who insist on "Letter of the law" Rule is rules types....Give it a shot, you can always take it someplace else...Not a big deal.
If you're within the return window I don't think you need a "real reason" to return the phone. Whenever I return anything I just say "I didn't like it" and then go get something I like more. In this case the OP didn't like the black iPhone and can return it and buy the white one.
sviato is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Charadis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Apple Store return policy for any iPhone purchased there is 30 days from transaction date. Anything else is 14 days. You can return for any reason, as long as it is within the return period and you have the receipt (and the item is in original condition). You should be able to swap with no problem, or pay the difference for a higher capacity.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Happy Holidays. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Charadis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:42 PM   #15
bryanc28
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arlington, Va
The white iphone 5 I bought last week had a messed up home button. I went to the nearest Apple Store on Christmas Eve morning & asked for an exchange. The specialist asked me if I wanted a black one (I was exchanging a white one).
__________________
iPhone 4 16GB
iPhone 5 16GB
iPad Air 16GB
bryanc28 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You can return the iPhone to any apple store if you bought it from the Apple store.
No need to feel dramatic about it. Good luck.
Do you ever post here WITHOUT sarcasm?
Chris092881 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Diseal3
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Do you ever post here WITHOUT sarcasm?
You must be new here.
Diseal3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Do you ever post here WITHOUT sarcasm?
Yup! I don't keep track of statistics though, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseal3 View Post
You must be new here.
I actually lol'ed.

But yes, I do. The post quoted wasn't sarcasm, it was a direct statement.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #19
PhiladelphiaX
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
One last question -- does anyone know their policy on swapping out day old phones within the 14 day period? Do they swap my device with a used phone? Do they swap it out with a refurbished phone? Or is the phone brand new despite the fact that I'm turning in a partially (barely) used phone.
PhiladelphiaX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:59 PM   #20
lookn4wifi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
If the phone was subsidized through a carrier and you return it, eligibility will need restoration before another can be purchased at the subsidized price again.
lookn4wifi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:14 AM   #21
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030
 
ReallyBigFeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
One last question -- does anyone know their policy on swapping out day old phones within the 14 day period? Do they swap my device with a used phone? Do they swap it out with a refurbished phone? Or is the phone brand new despite the fact that I'm turning in a partially (barely) used phone.
Really depends on what they have available at the time.

Don't be afraid of a refurb. They've been "pre-disastered."
__________________
13.3" MBA 15" MBP Retina Verizon iPhone 6 64gb iPadAir 128g WiFi
ReallyBigFeet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:39 AM   #22
Agent-P
macrumors 68020
 
Agent-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaX View Post
One last question -- does anyone know their policy on swapping out day old phones within the 14 day period? Do they swap my device with a used phone? Do they swap it out with a refurbished phone? Or is the phone brand new despite the fact that I'm turning in a partially (barely) used phone.
I wouldn't be worried about getting a refurb. If anything, it'll be better than a new one because they've had to look at it more carefully (and replace parts if necessary) to make sure it's good to sell again.
__________________
I have a dream that one day iOS users, Android users, and Windows Phone users will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
---------------
Xbox Live/PSN: ClassyPandaBear
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 AM   #23
ste1164
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
When I changed my storage after a week of owning the phone. They refund your money ask a gift certificate then use that to re-buy you a brand new phone. In your case it would be a brand new white iPhone 4S. Just ask them to return the black then rebuy the white.
ste1164 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need some Applescripting help badly!!! retselseer Mac Programming 3 Nov 27, 2013 11:11 AM
Music badly synchronized thomas-chk iOS 7 0 Aug 10, 2013 03:08 PM
iPad: iPad 3 lagging really badly! Tikatika iPad 3 Jul 27, 2013 12:09 AM
Badly need help on restoring my 3GS. jmiranda00 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Sep 29, 2012 10:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC