Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:00 AM   #1
katewes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
War between China & Japan, US drawn into conflict: effect on Apple

I came across a news article predicting war between Japan and China in 2013, with the U.S. being drawn in.

That could spell disaster for Apple, given its reliance on China manufacturing.

Even if these are just rumors, Apple might do well -- as it is doing -- to shift portions of its manufacturing to countries that are likely to be either neutral or on the side of the U.S. alliance, in case war does break out with China.

Each major product should have dual manufacturing sites, such that if war does break out with China, the manufacturing can shift entirely to the other country.

Then again, if war does break out - with so much of the U.S.'s technology being manufactured in China, and parts etc. the ramifications of war with China would see the end of the lifestyle as we know it.

Up till now, I was pretty blase about these rumors of war between China and Japan - but what caught my attention was an article written by a defense analyst whose name, over the years, I've noticed, has been highly respected in the news. Hence, because of his article, I did a Google search for ... War China Japan ... and was surprised by the amount of chatter in the news about such a possibility.

Now, in 2013, if things escalate towards a China/Japan/U.S war -- and then Iran stirs the pot by upping the pace of its nuclear program, such that Israel does a pre-emptive attack on Iran, followed by an explosion of war in the Middle East and Islamic countries, we could have a scenario of global warfare, such that the term "World War 3" could be an apt descriptor.

In such cases, it is likely that our supply of Apple toys could significantly dry up. (I'm being facetious, of course, since that would be the least of our problems).
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2
thewitt
macrumors 68000
 
thewitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
If China and Japan go to war, the last thing you will care about is your next Apple product...
thewitt is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
If they do go to war it will be big and the US will be in!!! The Apple store will be down for some time.
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
malman89
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
If China and Japan go to war, the last thing you will care about is your next Apple product...
This.

Apple drone too obsessed with his shiny gadgets to think beyond the closest iDevice screen.
__________________
Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Looks like I was beaten to the punch here; who gives two ***** about Apple when it comes to them going to war? Seriously. Maybe they should be impacted so they'll bring even more jobs back to the US.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:17 AM   #6
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
There will not be a war with Japan and China, when you have the US as a close ally of Japan, it would be a primary naval war, and no one can compete with the US Navy, its larger and more advanced than every other navy in the world put together. The Chinese military is no match for the US navy, they would be destroyed in very short order.

Assuming the war would not go Nuclear, China can't stand against the US navy, they'd be out numbered, out gunned, out trained, and be using inferior ships and submarines and aircraft, inferior officers and sailors. ( Training ), these are the people that can't get 1 carrier to work properly, are they supposed to be some kind of threat?

And even if it did happen, who cares about iDevices when theres a war on?

Last edited by G51989; Dec 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:26 AM   #7
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Celestial Being
No crap that if Japan went to war with China, we would be drawn in. We are there primary defense force since the military limits from WWII are still in effect.....
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Tombs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sutton, Surrey England
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
I came across a news article predicting war between Japan and China in 2013, with the U.S. being drawn in.

That could spell disaster for Apple, given its reliance on China manufacturing.

Even if these are just rumors, Apple might do well -- as it is doing -- to shift portions of its manufacturing to countries that are likely to be either neutral or on the side of the U.S. alliance, in case war does break out with China.

Each major product should have dual manufacturing sites, such that if war does break out with China, the manufacturing can shift entirely to the other country.

Then again, if war does break out - with so much of the U.S.'s technology being manufactured in China, and parts etc. the ramifications of war with China would see the end of the lifestyle as we know it.

Up till now, I was pretty blase about these rumors of war between China and Japan - but what caught my attention was an article written by a defense analyst whose name, over the years, I've noticed, has been highly respected in the news. Hence, because of his article, I did a Google search for ... War China Japan ... and was surprised by the amount of chatter in the news about such a possibility.

Now, in 2013, if things escalate towards a China/Japan/U.S war -- and then Iran stirs the pot by upping the pace of its nuclear program, such that Israel does a pre-emptive attack on Iran, followed by an explosion of war in the Middle East and Islamic countries, we could have a scenario of global warfare, such that the term "World War 3" could be an apt descriptor.

In such cases, it is likely that our supply of Apple toys could significantly dry up. (I'm being facetious, of course, since that would be the least of our problems).
Forget apple what about every other product that comes from China??!
__________________
i7 27" 12gb ram, 2TB harddrive.,iphone 4,ATV,1tb Time Machine.2 x Sony VAIO's,1 xGames PC,Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800 2.93GHz,EVGA GTX570HD, 128gb SSD, 2012 MBP 13"
Tombs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
If China and Japan go to war, the last thing you will care about is your next Apple product...
wow I agree with thewitt on something.


Yes if china and japan go to war Apple poducts will the least of ours and the worlds problems. Remember a lot of stuff is made in china.
Rodimus Prime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
Up till now, I was pretty blase about these rumors of war between China and Japan - but what caught my attention was an article written by a defense analyst whose name, over the years, I've noticed, has been highly respected in the news. Hence, because of his article, I did a Google search for ... War China Japan ... and was surprised by the amount of chatter in the news about such a possibility.
Could you tell us the reason behind China & Japan going to war?
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
If they do go to war it will be big and the US will be in!!!
You should hope they aren't.

Perhaps you should read up on your history.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Could you tell us the reason behind China & Japan going to war?
There's some trivial island they both claim. Frankly the entire matter is ridiculous - it makes the Falklands look like a reasonable conflict as at least some people actually live there.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Huntn
macrumors 603
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tallest Tree in The Misty Mountains
This has been a rule forever, don't give up your manufacturing to foreign powers or you may become hamstrung... a rule now, long ignored. Maybe this is partially why Apple is considering bringing back manufacturing to the States.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
You should hope they aren't.

Perhaps you should read up on your history.

----------



There's some trivial island they both claim. Frankly the entire matter is ridiculous - it makes the Falklands look like a reasonable conflict as at least some people actually live there.


Who are you to tell me to read history!!?? You should read the constitution!!!
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:09 PM   #14
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Who are you to tell me to read history!!?? You should read the constitution!!!
I have no idea what the Constitution has to do with this.

citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:37 PM   #15
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
i have no idea what the constitution has to do with this.

:d
freedom! Rawrz


But really, no war between the US and China, or Japan and china. The US would be drawn into it. Which is why it won't happen, China won't risk war with the US, its a war they could never hope to win.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:32 PM   #16
k995
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
I came across a news article predicting war between Japan and China in 2013, with the U.S. being drawn in.

That could spell disaster for Apple, given its reliance on China manufacturing..
Thast your tae on such an issue. A global meltdown because of a war in the region that produces half the world production.

Companies wich loose billions as assets are suddenly gone.

And all you think about is apple with its igadgets? Somewhere an ancester of yours who fought in a war is turning in his grave.
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:57 PM   #17
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I'd be more worried about the more 'basic' things that are made in China... Like clothes.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
China won't risk war with the US, its a war they could never hope to win.
Probably true, but I don't think the US could win such a war either.

Either both sides will use Nukes, and then we all lose, or it will be a draw.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:02 PM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Probably true, but I don't think the US could win such a war either.
The U.S. has made a habit of fighting nations it knows it can easily defeat.

I don't think we want any part of China.

Or they want any part of us.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
TSE
macrumors 68030
 
TSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Do you guys think there is any real chance of a war between Japan and China?
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz Quad-Core i7 Processor, 15" 1680x1050 Anti-Glare LCD, 8gbs of RAM, 750gb, 5400rpm HD, AMD Radeon 6750M HD, Mac OS X + Windows 7 Ultimate
TSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:56 PM   #21
katewes
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Do you guys think there is any real chance of a war between Japan and China?
Search in Google News for:

"hugh white" china japan war

Hugh White is a well known defence analyst in the China-Asia area, and limit the search to the past week.
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Probably true, but I don't think the US could win such a war either.

Either both sides will use Nukes, and then we all lose, or it will be a draw.
China would be after Japan and Taiwan, which means mostly Naval Warfare, that would be a quick, and easy win for the US Navy.

I couldn't see either side using Nukes.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:02 PM   #23
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Celestial Being
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
China would be after Japan and Taiwan, which means mostly Naval Warfare, that would be a quick, and easy win for the US Navy.

I couldn't see either side using Nukes.
China'a anti-carrier missile would be an issue.....
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:05 PM   #24
G51989
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York State
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The U.S. has made a habit of fighting nations it knows it can easily defeat.
Yes it does, and in Island to Island warfare, which is what this war would be, the US would easily defeat china.

Quote:
I don't think we want any part of China.

Or they want any part of us.
I think China wants Japan and Taiwan

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
China'a anti-carrier missile would be an issue.....
Yeah, which missile are we talking about? There are lots of anti ship missiles.

Are we talking about the DF21? Its nothing Aegis can't handle. ( mean good god, they can shoot down satellites with no problems)

Not to saber rattle for America, but I don't think people fully understand how far ahead the USN compared to any other navy in the world.

Last edited by G51989; Dec 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 PM   #25
smithrh
macrumors 68000
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSE View Post
Do you guys think there is any real chance of a war between Japan and China?
Saber-rattling.

Of note, Hugh White has a book out on this very topic.

Jeez, what a coincidence. Wonder if the sales of the book were lagging.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC