Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 PM   #26
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
I think China wants Japan and Taiwan.
Why? What would they do with them?
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:17 PM   #27
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Why? What would they do with them?
Not Japan so much, but I could see the Chinese wanting it at some point in the future. Lots of hard feelings still left from WW2.

And China considers Taiwan to be part of China, if it were not for the US, they would have already invaded it.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:30 PM   #28
throAU
macrumors 68030

Won't happen.

China has no need to go to war, they are an economic powerhouse and can just buy people out.

Unless Japan starts it, but that would be..... foolish (nay, suicidal).
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:29 AM   #29
TSE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Saber-rattling.

Of note, Hugh White has a book out on this very topic.

Jeez, what a coincidence. Wonder if the sales of the book were lagging.
I hope not. Stirring this much controversy up would be quite pathetic.

And I also hope China, Japan, Taiwan, whomever don't go to war. I really hate innocent people suffering.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 AM   #30
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Probably true, but I don't think the US could win such a war either.

Either both sides will use Nukes, and then we all lose, or it will be a draw.
In a war between the US and China, it wouldn't be a matter of who wins, rather who loses the least. Any victory pulled out of the resulting cluster**** would be pyrrhic at best.

China would exhaust a huge amount of their resources fighting a naval battle against, as GS said, one of the world's most technologically advanced armies. And even if they did manage to break through on pure numbers, they'd have to fight a land battle against one of the richest, best fortified nations in the world. Millions would die, China's economy would collapse along with the rest of the worlds, they'd likely have another cultural revolution in the midst of it all.

And what about us? We might have the technology on our side, but China isn't exactly a slouch in comparison. Not only that, but their combined military force dwarfs ours. Supposing we beat them out at sea, what do we do then? Invade? Think about how much Iraq strained us. Landing a force in China and supporting it would break the country in two. Millions would die, our economy would collapse along with the rest of the worlds, and the end result would likely dissolve the nation.

What about Europe? Do you think they'd just sit by and play neutral as two of the mightiest military strengths go head to head? Of course not. Like it or not, the US is one of the keystones of the world economy. From a purely pragmatic standpoint, a standing, strong US is better for them than a broken one being ruled over by China. If we fall, they'd likely enter into a depression that'd make the 30's look like party city. It'd take decades for them to climb out of it, and they wouldn't come out the other side anywhere close to unscathed. Not only that, but they now have an overly aggressive superpower breathing down their necks on two fronts.

We'd at least have England, Germany, and France throwing in their gauntlet for the US. China would have to face the combined military might of nearly the entire western world if they decide to go to war with us.

And of course they'd have to contend with Japan, the ANZACs, and South Korea right on their borders.

Israel? They'll likely be fighting their own bloody conflict in the midst of our much bigger one. It wouldn't surprise me if every capable mideastern country decided to seize the day and take advantage of the situation to launch their own wars with Israel. The west is a bit preoccupied. Who's gonna stop them?

And lets not forget Russia and all the surrounding satellite nations. Who knows what the hell they'll do. They're as likely to side with the west as they are China, or just decide to sit it out entirely. They're a very dangerous wild card no one can completely rely upon.

In short, there will be no winners among the superpowers. Like someone mentioned above, it'd be like World War 1 all over again. A complete restructuring of the political stage, where the old standard is swept aside, and everyone else teeters along for 30 years until another fills in the void.

...which won't be China or the US, because, win or lose, they won't exist as we currently know them.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:02 AM   #31
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I would more worry that the new PM want to restart or build nuclear plants in a country under high risk for disaster.
As for war ? I grown up in Berlin ... US and Russia nose to nose. Lots noise but both side knew each other well. No direct confrontation beside Cuba.

Same with China and Japan/US. There is lots of noise. Both governments need it to calm down internal issues. But I don't expect any war.
Of course it can happen that due to some "accident" the one or other smaller ship will sink around the Sangaku islands. Same reactions as between south and North Korea; but I'm confident it would not escalate.

China, US and Japan need/depend on each other.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:06 AM   #32
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post

This is my ultimate take on it. China isn't stupid. They know the cost of a skirmish that could very easily escalate into a full blown war.

Every side involved will rattle their sabers, puff up their chests, and attempt to save face. But that's the extent of it. Eventually they'll all come to a begrudging agreement, and things will continue on as usual.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:22 AM   #33
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Israel? They'll likely be fighting their own bloody conflict in the midst of our much bigger one. It wouldn't surprise me if every capable mideastern country decided to seize the day and take advantage of the situation to launch their own wars with Israel. The west is a bit preoccupied. Who's gonna stop them?
The Israelis? Like last time?

----------

Quote:
And China considers Taiwan to be part of China, if it were not for the US, they would have already invaded it.
Lets face it the Indians already invaded places like Goa which weren't part of India as a whole, so there's a precedent for large countries to do such things, and I agree that China might well do it.

That said who cares in Taiwan is part of China or not? I'm not really convinced the Taiwanese care one way or the other.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:40 AM   #34
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
That said who cares in Taiwan is part of China or not? I'm not really convinced the Taiwanese care one way or the other.
To the mainland Chinese it's just a renegade province anyway.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:41 AM   #35
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You are greatly misinformed if this is what you believe.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:08 AM   #36
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
You are greatly misinformed if this is what you believe.
As far as I can tell only a relatively small minority of Taiwanese explicitly want independence, and most of them like the status quo.

Given the deal the Chinese have offered is essentially two systems one country ala Hong Kong and Macau I'm not really sure the Taiwanese care particularly one way or another.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #37
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
As far as I can tell only a relatively small minority of Taiwanese explicitly want independence, and most of them like the status quo.
I think you need to look into this a little more, would you prefer to live in a mostly free society, or convert into a totalitarian police state like china? I highly doubt china would keep their end of the bargain up in any kind of " deal ", I don't trust the Chinese for a second.

I've been to Taiwan, several times. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who would want to be part of China. I don't blame them, China is an awful place.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 AM   #38
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
I think you need to look into this a little more, would you prefer to live in a mostly free society, or convert into a totalitarian police state like china?
Hong Kong's a "totalitarian police state"?

Quote:
I highly doubt china would keep their end of the bargain up in any kind of " deal "
Er, why wouldn't they keep their deal?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:52 AM   #39
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There's some trivial island they both claim. Frankly the entire matter is ridiculous - it makes the Falklands look like a reasonable conflict as at least some people actually live there.
The effort to liberate the Falklands from a dictatorial invader was both legitimate and reasonable. The UK absolutely did the right thing in recapturing the islands, and even the people of Argentina benefited by the revelation of how weak their junta actually was.

In any case, getting back to the thread, let us hope that the Chinese are as pragmatic as the USSR used to be. Like most people I worry about China's potential conflicts with Japan, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and the Philippines over territorial disputes. However, I just can't see any of those countries rocking their own economic boat in order to pursue some sort of nonsensical expansionist agenda.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:58 AM   #40
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I don't trust the Chinese for a second.
Sounds like you have a personal problem with them.

Can you explain why you "don't trust the Chinese for a second"?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:07 AM   #41
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
In a war between the US and China, it wouldn't be a matter of who wins, rather who loses the least. Any victory pulled out of the resulting cluster**** would be pyrrhic at best.
It would not be a full on war, it would a " defend china and japan " kinda thing, where its about naval power, and air power, something the US can win hands down, there would be no invasion.

Quote:
China would exhaust a huge amount of their resources fighting a naval battle against, as GS said, one of the world's most technologically advanced armies
The US army wouldn't have to worry about that, all the Navy needs to do is defend Japan, and probably Tiawan, which is easy. Considering the Chinese Navy ( PLAN ) is about 30 years behind the USN. PLAN would be out numbered 5-1, and be hopelessly out gunned, it would be suicide, I think China is smart enough to know not to even try it.

Quote:
And even if they did manage to break through on pure numbers, they'd have to fight a land battle against one of the richest, best fortified nations in the world. Millions would die
In the event of this type of war, all the USN and USAF would have to do is knock out chinese infrastructure, an easy feat. Sure, China has some good newer planes, none of which are battle tested however, and the vast majority of their Air Force is still 60s level garbage.

Quote:
China's economy would collapse along with the rest of the worlds, they'd likely have another cultural revolution in the midst of it all.
The world might Stall, but it won't collapse.

Quote:
And what about us? We might have the technology on our side, but China isn't exactly a slouch in comparison.
This would be a naval battle, and an air battle over oceans, China is a slouch in comparison. Its all about sub and air power, they lack both. China loves to talk the talk on new equipment, but they never prove that it works.

Quote:
ot only that, but their combined military force dwarfs ours.
In sheer numbers, yes on the ground mostly. Their air force is large, but mostly made up of old junk. They really have not modernized yet on any huge scale.

Quote:
Supposing we beat them out at sea, what do we do then? Invade?
There is no supposing, PLAN would be on the bottom of the sea in short order, and no. No invasion.

Quote:
Think about how much Iraq strained us. Landing a force in China and supporting it would break the country in two. Millions would die, our economy would collapse along with the rest of the worlds, and the end result would likely dissolve the nation.
Iraq strained us because we had to be nice about it, its nothing carpet bombing couldn't have fixed. Then again, we should have never been there.

Quote:
What about Europe?
Europe cannot project military power on any level without the help of the US. The only European power with any form of power projection is France. I don't even think the Royal navy has the ability to get ships out there and support them on its own.

Quote:
We'd at least have England, Germany, and France throwing in their gauntlet for the US. China would have to face the combined military might of nearly the entire western world if they decide to go to war with us.
As pointed out, Germany and England don't really have anything to contribute in a war like this, only France. It has the best navy in Europe. And I doubt we would even need it to defend Japan.

Quote:
And of course they'd have to contend with Japan, the ANZACs, and South Korea right on their borders.
Which is why I don't think it will never happen.

Quote:
Again, no power projection.

Quote:
And lets not forget Russia and all the surrounding satellite nations. Who knows what the hell they'll do. They're as likely to side with the west as they are China, or just decide to sit it out entirely. They're a very dangerous wild card no one can completely rely upon.
They will most likely sit it out, or go organist China, China is a threat to the Russians. Japan and the west are not.

Quote:
In short, there will be no winners among the superpowers. Like someone mentioned above, it'd be like World War 1 all over again. A complete restructuring of the political stage, where the old standard is swept aside, and everyone else teeters along for 30 years until another fills in the void.
Assuming it didn't go Nuclear, China is not a military threat to the US, they would have to cross oceans.

Its all about power projection, the USA is literally the only country on the planet that can do it at any large level.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #42
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
The effort to liberate the Falklands from a dictatorial invader was both legitimate and reasonable. The UK absolutely did the right thing in recapturing the islands, and even the people of Argentina benefited by the revelation of how weak their junta actually was.
From your perspective perhaps.

From my American perspective it seemed like a big unnecessary pissing match that should never have occurred or escalated to the point that it did.

Personally, I side with the Argentine claims to the island.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:11 AM   #43
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Sounds like you have a personal problem with them.

Can you explain why you "don't trust the Chinese for a second"?
Not with the Chinese people, but I don't trust a society that kills 80 million or so of its own people in the past 60 years.

----------

Quote:
Hong Kong's a "totalitarian police state"?

This would not be a Hong Kong Situation. At all, China has every intention to take Taiwan by force.

Quote:
Er, why wouldn't they keep their deal?
Why would they? I don't see a reason to trust the Chinese.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Thats something the world needs to get away from, is China. Because its going to collapse under its own weight in 20 or so years.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:12 AM   #44
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not with the Chinese people, but I don't trust a society that kills 80 million or so of its own people in the past 60 years.
So you shouldn't trust Germans then.

Or Russians.
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 AM   #45
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
All of the "80 million" died under Mao and the vast majority died in the Great Leap Forward. That was a long time ago...

Quote:
This would not be a Hong Kong Situation. At all, China has every intention to take Taiwan by force.
The whole point of the Hong Kong and Macau SAR's is as a prototype for Taiwan. I also doubt they really want to take it by force, if they were going to do that they'd have done so long ago.

Quote:
Why would they?
Because they'd face widespread rebellion if they don't. Additionally they'd look pretty stupid for not following through with their agreed plan.

Quote:
Thats something the world needs to get away from, is China. Because its going to collapse under its own weight in 20 or so years.
Why on earth would that happen? China has been a country for 2000 years and a civilisation for 5000 years, it hardly seems likely to collapse now.

Its far more likely that much newer countries like Italy, the US etc. etc. will collapse, but if I claimed they were definitely going to collapse under their own weight I'd be seen as pushing bizarre conspiracy theories.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:18 AM   #46
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Sorry off topic....

Quote:
From your perspective perhaps.

From my American perspective it seemed like a big unnecessary pissing match that should never have occurred or escalated to the point that it did.

I am American. I was watched the war from my dorm in Virginia, and I was deeply ashamed the US wasn't more forceful and overt in assisting our NATO ally against outright aggression by a military dictatorship. Reagan was a unprincipled coward in this regard. The Falklands should remain British as long as the Falklanders wish it. Any other course of action would be undemocratic.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 AM   #47
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
To be fair the Argentina doesn't really have a legitimate claim. The claim is inherited from some Spanish settlers that the British allegedly kicked out in the early 19th century, and the Spanish haven't ruled Argentina since that time.

The only sensible part of the Argentinian claim is geographic proximity.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:21 AM   #48
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
So you shouldn't trust Germans then.

Or Russians.
I don't trust them ( the country, not the people. I have no personal issues with anyone living in any country ), they are the biggest political wild card outside of North Korea, you never know what they'll do.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:22 AM   #49
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
they are the biggest political wild card outside of North Korea, you never know what they'll do.
What's that based on?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:28 AM   #50
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
All of the "80 million" died under Mao and the vast majority died in the Great Leap Forward. That was a long time ago...
Not, all lots did. But you still have the issues of a lack of free society, re education, and forced labor camps, people getting run over by tanks....great government.

Quote:
The whole point of the Hong Kong and Macau SAR's is as a prototype for Taiwan. I also doubt they really want to take it by force, if they were going to do that they'd have done so long ago.
The reason they have not done it, is because that would require flying troops over, or landing them via ship, and they would have to get through the USN to do it, and they know they can't. Why do you think they freak out when theres more than 1 carrier near Taiwan?

Quote:
Because they'd face widespread rebellion if they don't. Additionally they'd look pretty stupid for not following through with their agreed plan.
Because rebellion and civil uprisings have ever stopped them before

As if China gives a damn what the world thinks, these are the same people who think that their territorial waters extend 250 miles from their shores, then get all pissy when everyone ignores it.

Quote:
Why on earth would that happen? China has been a country for 2000 years and a civilisation for 5000 years, it hardly seems likely to collapse now.

Its far more likely that much newer countries like Italy, the US etc. etc. will collapse, but if I claimed they were definitely going to collapse under their own weight I'd be seen as pushing bizarre conspiracy theories.
I'm talking about an economic collapse, in 25 years time, 60% of the Chinese people will be to old to work, and the rest will have to support them, thats not sustainable.

----------

Quote:
What's that based on?
Look at history, Russia has been the wild card, you never know who it'll side with, weather it stays neutral, or goes one way or the other, its not predictable, it never has been. Even in the days of the Soviet Union, proxy wars anyone?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues