Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 AM   #26
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
That's tough. This is why I, personally, always buy the second iteration of Apple phones (3GS, 4S, 5S, etc.) -- by the time they release the second iteration, they will have had time to smooth out the hardware defects and flaws (remember the death grip issues with iPhone 4? Remember the scuffgate with iPhone 5?)

This way, I get to both enjoy a newer and usually much more improved phone with incrementally improved hardware/software, but I also don't have to bare the risks of owning a beta Apple product. Hardware takes longer to correct than software.


Patience really does pay off!
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 7.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #27
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Unnecessary drama. He's holding on to this phone so he can complain about it when he could easily swap it out.
I'd say the thread should end here, but I have one more question:

In your OP, you say you're "considering going back to your 4S". Why don't you? Do you honestly prefer holding onto a clearly problematic device when you have, wait, not one, but three other cellular devices to choose from (all of which run the current OS)?
Being a 16 year old must be more difficult than I remember.
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:39 PM   #28
Radio
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?

That's right don't say anything

How dare you!!!!!

People need to know !

Put down that Koolaid
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:49 PM   #29
AppleBoyFreak
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vell843 View Post
Apple boy, if you noticed the phone was chipped right out the box. Why did you even buy it or return it the same day?
Because it was a meniscal defect that I could deal with.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns2212 View Post
OP....did you not notice these "issues" immediately when you got your phone?

Why did you not take it back right away? I would think that you would have noticed the dust in the lens with the first picture you took and also the scratches right out of the box?

Just curious why you waited so long.
Honestly, the dust wasn't there until November. At first it was just one dark circle and then over time it evolved to like 8 circles now.
__________________
Base 2012 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 1st Generation, Gold iPhone 5S, Black iPhone 5, Black iPhone 4S, Black iPhone 4, Black iPhone 3GS, and Apple TV.
AppleBoyFreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:49 PM   #30
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now.
I get it now. You wanted a different color too. They don't exchange for different color. I hope you didn't tell her that. You would have got your money back, and they you would have to order a white phone and wait for it. After 30 days, you get a black phone for a black phone as a replacement.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:50 PM   #31
siurpeeman
macrumors 603
 
siurpeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the OC
Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now.
depends where you bought it. i think both at&t and verizon's return policies are 14 days, but apple's is 30. since you're well outside that window anyway, i think your best bet is to go to an apple store and get a replacement under warranty. just don't go in all angry, and i'm sure they'll treat you right.

further, in case you were wondering, they will not let you swap for a different color phone, so don't bother asking.
__________________
grr...argh...

Last edited by siurpeeman; Dec 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
siurpeeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:58 PM   #32
AppleBoyFreak
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
I didn't even mention the color swap until after I listed all the problems so honestly that shouldn't have been a reason to stop them from mentioning that I can return it. Oh well, I guess it's bad to actually rant about a real problem. I am going to get a replacement but the fact that any of this happened is depressing. I put up with these problems so long because at the start it was all meniscal and I didn't want to bother Apple while they were very busy. Oh well, I guess I'll never rant again.

P.S. I woke up an hour ago, took my phone off the charger, put it in my pocket and now an hour later I am down to 59% without even using it.
__________________
Base 2012 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 1st Generation, Gold iPhone 5S, Black iPhone 5, Black iPhone 4S, Black iPhone 4, Black iPhone 3GS, and Apple TV.
AppleBoyFreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:02 PM   #33
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I'm amazed you kept this phone for 3 months. I would not have been so patient. Luckily, Apple still has the best return policy. So you will get a replacement, and if that one is bad, you can get another and another, and so on.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:05 PM   #34
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
I didn't even mention the color swap until after I listed all the problems so honestly that shouldn't have been a reason to stop them from mentioning that I can return it. Oh well, I guess it's bad to actually rant about a real problem. I am going to get a replacement but the fact that any of this happened is depressing. I put up with these problems so long because at the start it was all meniscal and I didn't want to bother Apple while they were very busy. Oh well, I guess I'll never rant again.

P.S. I woke up an hour ago, took my phone off the charger, put it in my pocket and now an hour later I am down to 59% without even using it.
You're ignoring my early post, which is fine. This might surprise you, but all Apple products come with a one year warranty, called AppleCare. Here's the link to arrange an appointment at an Apple retail store.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
Otherwise, you can call Apple to arrange a replacement.
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #35
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Hope you feel better after your "rant"

And you resolve your current dissatisfaction with your phone.
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:40 PM   #36
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I say rant all you want. I don't blame you. Often times threads like these can be used against Apple when calling AppleCare and they play dumb as if they have never before heard of the issue you are having. Point out a thread and they usually have to backtrack. I've done this in the past on the Apple boards. I do think the 5S will have far fewer issues, but who knows. That doesn't mean those of us that invested in the 5 should suffer, however. I'm dealing with QC issues as we speak, and I'll go through as many replacements as necessary until I get a device I'm pleased with.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:59 PM   #37
AppleBoyFreak
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside_@ View Post
You're ignoring my early post, which is fine. This might surprise you, but all Apple products come with a one year warranty, called AppleCare. Here's the link to arrange an appointment at an Apple retail store.
http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
Otherwise, you can call Apple to arrange a replacement.
I'm not trying to be rude but I know what AppleCare is! I have owned an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now a 5 and I have had each phone replaced at least once because of a defect. My point is that even though I could get a replacement iPhone quickly and easily I SHOULDN'T NEED TO. The iPhone should come out of the factory at least somewhat not defective. If you couldn't read my signature i have many Apple products and I definitely know ehat AppleCare is and how it functions. And to those asking I feel better now that I have ranted.
__________________
Base 2012 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 1st Generation, Gold iPhone 5S, Black iPhone 5, Black iPhone 4S, Black iPhone 4, Black iPhone 3GS, and Apple TV.
AppleBoyFreak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:31 PM   #38
Firestrife
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 'MERICA
Send a message via AIM to Firestrife
Dude Apple products are still made by people and there are tolerances. You can't expect every product of theirs to be perfect. It seems like you can't believe that a product from Apple has a problem. While it sucks that it happened to you, just get it replaced and boom you're done. Welcome to reality quit yer belly aching.
Firestrife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:55 PM   #39
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
Quality Control has not improvement. I waited a few months hoping that Apple would get their act together. How wrong I was for making that assumption.
Well, the phone JUST launched in many places. I think you'll have to give it a bit more time.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:13 PM   #40
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Most other companies (notably Samsung & Motorola), at least in my past experiences, haven't had these kinds of problems with any recent launches of their smartphone devices. So why does Apple continue to struggle with the releases of their flagship device, the iPhone? It seems like this stuff should be worked out before mass production begins. Now, I definitely love the iPhone 5, and that's why I'm on my fourth phone, but something has gotta give here. Or does Apple bank on the idea that eventually people will get tired of playing the swap game and just settle on a subpar product? At this point I'm not sure.

Last edited by Chris092881; Dec 27, 2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:50 PM   #41
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?
Beause that's the society we live in now-a-days..... there are a lot of people that don't take personal responsibility (not returning an item OP was not satisfied with within the alloted amount of time) and add on top of that the fact that a lot of people like to blog about their life as if others care and you get OP's "rant".

IF you were not satisfied with your device you should of returned it. You are a salesmans favorite customer. You willingly gave up your money, were not satisfied yet came on a forum months later to "rant" when all you had to do was return the device. Self caused problem should = anger at self not apple.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:26 PM   #42
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Beause that's the society we live in now-a-days..... there are a lot of people that don't take personal responsibility (not returning an item OP was not satisfied with within the alloted amount of time) and add on top of that the fact that a lot of people like to blog about their life as if others care and you get OP's "rant".

IF you were not satisfied with your device you should of returned it. You are a salesmans favorite customer. You willingly gave up your money, were not satisfied yet came on a forum months later to "rant" when all you had to do was return the device. Self caused problem should = anger at self not apple.
Let's not go overboard on the OP. Apple definitely bears some of the responsibility here. This isn't an issue that only he has experienced. But yeah, calling Apple or going to an Apple Store would be more productive. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. He isn't the only one Apple screwed over with a less than acceptable iPhone 5.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:49 AM   #43
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Let's not go overboard on the OP. Apple definitely bears some of the responsibility here. This isn't an issue that only he has experienced. But yeah, calling Apple or going to an Apple Store would be more productive. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. He isn't the only one Apple screwed over with a less than acceptable iPhone 5.
If it wasn't accaptable he should of returned it and not wait until his time was long up before his "rant". I agree apple should exchange r/t supposed dust in camera but of course we only have OP's side of the story. I have had several 3g/3gs's replaced r/t dust under glass so I know how annoying it can be.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:23 AM   #44
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
I'm amazed you kept this phone for 3 months. I would not have been so patient. Luckily, Apple still has the best return policy. So you will get a replacement, and if that one is bad, you can get another and another, and so on.
Wait, that's "the best return policy"? That's how return policies are for everything.

I've had multiple replacements from Apple, Dell and Sony.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:58 AM   #45
dellAbait
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
fake post... many trolls
dellAbait is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:23 AM   #46
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
sometimes I like to pretend the internet does not exist and act accordingly.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:04 PM   #47
AppleBoyFreak
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellAbait View Post
fake post... many trolls
Lmfao, why is this a fake post? Because I posted that I was displeased with Apple? Okay. Why would a "troll" buy 4 iPhones, an iPad, TV, a MacBook Pro, and other Apple accessories if I didn't like Apple? Everyone is right, I should have gotten a replacement right away, however I didn't want to bother Apple because they were extremely busy(Christmas season and they just launched many products) and considering I'm only 16 I couldn't just drive an hour up to the nearest Apple store by myself. With that said, I am getting a replacement soon and everything will be okay, but simply because I can easily get a replacement doesn't mean I should just act like their quality control was great.
__________________
Base 2012 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 1st Generation, Gold iPhone 5S, Black iPhone 5, Black iPhone 4S, Black iPhone 4, Black iPhone 3GS, and Apple TV.
AppleBoyFreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
I'm not trying to be rude but I know what AppleCare is! I have owned an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and now a 5 and I have had each phone replaced at least once because of a defect. My point is that even though I could get a replacement iPhone quickly and easily I SHOULDN'T NEED TO. The iPhone should come out of the factory at least somewhat not defective. If you couldn't read my signature i have many Apple products and I definitely know ehat AppleCare is and how it functions. And to those asking I feel better now that I have ranted.
Of course you're right: it's unfortunate that your phone had so many different issues. But with the number of phones being produced, you can't be surprised that some slip through the cracks, which unfortunately happened to you. Regardless, your rant comes across as a desperate cry for attention (but hey it worked), and little more, particularly when you both ignore options for service and replacement ('Apple is busy' is a poor excuse; they're always busy), and have other devices with the same functionality.
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:23 PM   #49
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
I'm only 16
And there it is.

You're not bothering apple just because its Christmas. They are a successful business and their job to take care of the customer. All you had to do was call them and they could have set up for a replacement over the phone. You had plenty of time to ask someone else to drive you to the apple store.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:38 PM   #50
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris092881 View Post
Most other companies (notably Samsung & Motorola), at least in my past experiences, haven't had these kinds of problems with any recent launches of their smartphone devices. So why does Apple continue to struggle with the releases of their flagship device, the iPhone? It seems like this stuff should be worked out before mass production begins. Now, I definitely love the iPhone 5, and that's why I'm on my fourth phone, but something has gotta give here. Or does Apple bank on the idea that eventually people will get tired of playing the swap game and just settle on a subpar product? At this point I'm not sure.
Perhaps you don't hear about Samsung and Motorola manufacturing defects because this is an Apple forum, and unless Tim is the head of the Illuminati, Apple doesn't own those companies nor do they manufacture their devices, therefore said devices and possible defects are never discussed here, so you never hear about them?
Nahh Apple is the only company that makes devices that are prone to manufacturing defects
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 rant – Volume down button not working. Infinitygraphix iPhone 21 May 30, 2014 12:48 PM
A rant about the lack of preorders for iPhone 5s bunnicula iPhone 53 Sep 21, 2013 10:34 AM
Is this iPhone 5S? /rant robE89 iPhone 25 Jul 24, 2013 01:27 PM
iPhone 5 Woes: Looking At The Bigger Picture (Rant) anonjd iPhone 18 Oct 16, 2012 03:55 PM
I *hate* the carrier setup in the US! I want a truly unlocked iPhone! /rant BklynKid iPhone 32 Sep 14, 2012 09:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC