Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forzalex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
I am looking to start programming for iPad. I have yet to find a clear and concise introduction to the subject.

I have an iPad 2 and have some questions?

What do I need to start?
Can I do it for free? My intention is solely personal use, now that the whole family has iPads.
How can I download Xcode?
I cannot find it in the app store!
Do I need to use an older version of Xcode, since i have an older iPad

Thank you for any help

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
I am looking to start programming for iPad. I have yet to find a clear and concise introduction to the subject.

What do I need to start?
Can I do it for free? My intention is solely personal use, now that the whole family has iPads.

Thank you for any help

As the first comment: Go with the Stanford podcasts.
As for your xcode problem ... You can use the current version.
Open mac app store, not the app store. Then search: xcode.

You won't be doing any programming on your iPad 2 but on your mac ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You can write code and test it in the simulator for free, in order to run it on hardware you need to pay the $99/year.

Generally, no. Especially if you keep your older iPad up to date with software versions. Here's a link to MAS for the latest xcode. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

As to the other two comments, you didn't say how much or little overall programming experience you have. The Stanford podcasts mentioned are really quite good, but assume some basic programming working knowledge of "C".

Another place to start would be the Big Nerd Ranch books, again which book depends on what your previous knowledge is...

B

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I can recommend the Lynda.com objective C and iOS videos. I used these to learn, although I'm an accomplished .Net coder anyway.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

What do I need to start?

Thank you for any help

First go to the iPhone/iPad Programming forum on here and at the top are the How do I get started Guides!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.