Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:14 AM   #1
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Webpages Slow to Load...Any Ideas...

I own a mid-2012 MBA i7 / 8 GB / 256 GB...I have purposely kept the MBA "clean and lean"...

I own a four year old Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop as well...

I have run speedtest.net test for both wired and wireless network connections and note that both machines produce similar results (i.e. wifi download speeds are approximately 15 Mbps)...

I am using Google Chrome as my web browser on both machines...

I am experiencing a problem in that webpages load much slower on my mid-2012 MBA and, in some instances, do not even load.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:03 AM   #2
JamesJesney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
I own a mid-2012 MBA i7 / 8 GB / 256 GB...I have purposely kept the MBA "clean and lean"...

I own a four year old Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop as well...

I have run speedtest.net test for both wired and wireless network connections and note that both machines produce similar results (i.e. wifi download speeds are approximately 15 Mbps)...

I am using Google Chrome as my web browser on both machines...

I am experiencing a problem in that webpages load much slower on my mid-2012 MBA and, in some instances, do not even load.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel
Have you tried loading the same web pages in safari? Also there could possibly be a chrome update?
JamesJesney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:04 AM   #3
stridemat

What DNS servers are you using? If you don't know then it probably is your ISP's default. Have you thought about changing them to Open DNS or Google DNS services?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Johnny Alien
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJesney View Post
Also there could possibly be a chrome update?
Check that. My wife's iMAc just started doing the same thing and I updated Chrome and it's back to normal.
Johnny Alien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
JamesJesney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
Check that. My wife's iMAc just started doing the same thing and I updated Chrome and it's back to normal.
Aah good!
JamesJesney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
What DNS servers are you using? If you don't know then it probably is your ISP's default. Have you thought about changing them to Open DNS or Google DNS services?

He says the other machine works fine. Unless he purposely configure each machine with its own DNS setting (who does that?) this is a faulty diagnosis.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJesney View Post
Have you tried loading the same web pages in safari? Also there could possibly be a chrome update?
Appreciate the response but Safari is worse (no surprise here) and Google is current...we need to look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Appreciate the response but all machines use the same DNS which is set in the router...I have tried 3 different DBS servers (i.e. IPS provider, DynDNS and Google) with no change in results...we need to look elsewhere..
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #8
FrenchMBA
macrumors newbie

Hi Joel,

I was browsing the net to find tips to solve the same problem that I'm experiencing on my new MBA.

It is exactly the same behavior as yours.
Good connection on the house's Wifi, 15Mbps, other ipad and Iphone and PC Lenovo works fine with the same settings, only this MacBook which is so long that you can have a brew and a pee before anything moves. I'm still using Safari but that is not the root of the problem.
I've got Apple care over the phone for an hour or so and we tried to search the cause but the result is still the same. We were about to reinstall via the recovery tool but we experienced hard fault... Now, wiating for an engineer to call me next wednesday for an hard troubleshooting.
While browsing the net in French, I see that an user with the very same problem had finally a hard failure on the Wifi PC board. It was solve by a tech intervention at the Mac Store.

Of course, I'll follow the thread here and keep you informed on the results of wednesday call.

Cheers
V.
FrenchMBA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Pavel08
macrumors newbie

I actually used to have exactly the same problem as yours. I think it depends on the range. Our main router is maybe 10 meters away from my room(same floor). And while the surfing works fine on my old windows laptop, it almost doesn't work on my MBA 2012. It takes ages to load a page, while most wont even load at all.

Then I've heard that WiFi on MBA is crap and thats why I havent tried to fix it. So I bought a new router and placed in my room. Now it works fine.
Pavel08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Jamesbot
macrumors member

Does it work on a wired connection?
Jamesbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:37 PM   #11
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel08 View Post
I actually used to have exactly the same problem as yours. I think it depends on the range. Our main router is maybe 10 meters away from my room(same floor). And while the surfing works fine on my old windows laptop, it almost doesn't work on my MBA 2012. It takes ages to load a page, while most wont even load at all.

Then I've heard that WiFi on MBA is crap and thats why I havent tried to fix it. So I bought a new router and placed in my room. Now it works fine.
When I first got my air, web page loading was agonizingly slow. Then, I updated to 10.8.2 (I know others feel that this is the problem) and it was blazingly fast.

Unfortunately, it is back to the agonizingly slow performance. Damn!

You should not have to get a new router.

Last edited by rhinosrcool; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
rhinosrcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:13 PM   #12
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMBA View Post
Hi Joel,

I was browsing the net to find tips to solve the same problem that I'm experiencing on my new MBA.

It is exactly the same behavior as yours.
Good connection on the house's Wifi, 15Mbps, other ipad and Iphone and PC Lenovo works fine with the same settings, only this MacBook which is so long that you can have a brew and a pee before anything moves. I'm still using Safari but that is not the root of the problem.
I've got Apple care over the phone for an hour or so and we tried to search the cause but the result is still the same. We were about to reinstall via the recovery tool but we experienced hard fault... Now, wiating for an engineer to call me next wednesday for an hard troubleshooting.
While browsing the net in French, I see that an user with the very same problem had finally a hard failure on the Wifi PC board. It was solve by a tech intervention at the Mac Store.

Of course, I'll follow the thread here and keep you informed on the results of wednesday call.

Cheers
V.
V, appreciate the response and look forward to an update following your conversation with the Apple engineers...

Joel

Quote:

Appreciate the response...I am pleased that you found a solution but there is a problem when you need to purchase a new router for a $2,000 laptop...

As this seems to be a somewhat common problem, Apple needs to find a solution...

Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosrcool View Post
When I first got my air, web page loading was agonizingly slow. Then, I updated to 10.8.2 (I know others feel that this is the problem) and it was blazingly fast.

Appreciate the response...I am running the latest version of Mountain Lion...sorry to hear that the problem has come back...

Joel
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Pavel08
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Yeah, Ive been using 10.8.2. I got my router as a present so it was kinda ok for me. As I said it might be a range problem. Ive been reading a couple of mba reviews and some of them mention that WiFi on mba is quite bad.
Pavel08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:54 PM   #14
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
V, appreciate the response and look forward to an update following your conversation with the Apple engineers...

Joel

Appreciate the response...I am pleased that you found a solution but there is a problem when you need to purchase a new router for a $2,000 laptop...

As this seems to be a somewhat common problem, Apple needs to find a solution...

Joel

Appreciate the response...I am running the latest version of Mountain Lion...sorry to hear that the problem has come back...

Joel
Right now, it's working fine. When it works, for web and MS Office apps, it works great. Tomorrow, who knows? Hopefully, there is a fix via a software update.

Quote:
Yeah, Ive been using 10.8.2. I got my router as a present so it was kinda ok for me. As I said it might be a range problem. Ive been reading a couple of mba reviews and some of them mention that WiFi on mba is quite bad.
Yea, this maybe true. At a friend's, my Thinkpad connects where my Air doesn't. Up till now, I've only had my Air for a couple of weeks. Just maybe, it needs to be broken in? We'll see...
rhinosrcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:28 AM   #15
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Right now, it's working fine. When it works, for web and MS Office apps, it works great. Tomorrow, who knows? Hopefully, there is a fix via a software update.
Agreed and have the same experience...I have been up and working on my MBA for the last 3 hours and everything is working as it should but who knows what will be in an hour or tomorrow.

The weird thing is that I do all my work in the same place -- my office -- so cannot understand the variable performance.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
FrenchMBA
macrumors newbie

Hi, As promised, an update.
I tried to reinstall the OS with the engineer over the phone but failed with the error code : -1007F

After a bit more delay due to intense thinking on their end, Finally they asked me to bring back the MBA to a repair centre as the problem is most probably hardware.

Now, let's see what will happen in the next few days.

Cheers

Vincent
FrenchMBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:32 PM   #17
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi, As promised, an update.
I tried to reinstall the OS with the engineer over the phone but failed with the error code : -1007F

After a bit more delay due to intense thinking on their end, Finally they asked me to bring back the MBA to a repair centre as the problem is most probably hardware.

Now, let's see what will happen in the next few days.

Cheers

Vincent
Vincent:

Appreciate the update..keep us posted as to what happens.

Thanks,

Joel
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #18
FrenchMBA
macrumors newbie

Ok, get my MBA back from support today.
The wifi problem was indeed hardware. They first changed the wifi board but still the signal was weak. So they changed the display (yes, the display, the screen) because the wifi antennas are embedded in it.
So now it works as expected everywhere in the house. Happy Frenchie !

hope that helps,

Cheers

Vincent
FrenchMBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:16 PM   #19
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ok, get my MBA back from support today.
The wifi problem was indeed hardware. They first changed the wifi board but still the signal was weak. So they changed the display (yes, the display, the screen) because the wifi antennas are embedded in it.
So now it works as expected everywhere in the house. Happy Frenchie !

hope that helps,

Cheers

Vincent
I am happy that you finally got it sorted out and working...keep us posted on as it would be great to know that this is a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Joel

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air