Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Apple wants 8 board members re-elected, doesn’t want a special ‘human rights committe

This is sad. What do you think? http://thenextweb.com/2012/12/27/app...20doesn't want a special 'human rights committee'&utm_campaign=social media
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2

Very sad indeed... Apples guilt is clear to see
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Rogifan
macrumors 604

A human rights committee? What a joke. Thankfully the people who run Apple don't buy in to this nonsense. Is this guy recommending every other company that manufacturs or buys products from China, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc. do to same thing? Of course not. Because asking Dell to form a "human rights" committee doesn't make headlines. But asking Apple to do so does.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
thewitt
macrumors 68000

As I drive down the street on the way to work in the roughly 200 sq km Suzhou Industrial Zone, I pass dozens of the roughly 1500 companies with facilities here, including 70 Fortune 500 Companies.

Every brand well known. Every sector represented.

This is just ONE of a dozen similar factory cities in China today.

If you are not manufacturing in China today, you are in the minority.
thewitt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #5
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
A human rights committee? What a joke. Thankfully the people who run Apple don't buy in to this nonsense. Is this guy recommending every other company that manufacturs or buys products from China, Vietnam, Taiwan, etc. do to same thing? Of course not. Because asking Dell to form a "human rights" committee doesn't make headlines. But asking Apple to do so does.
The difference is :

Quote:
In recent years, Apple has indeed become embroiled in public controversies regarding the human rights implications of its products and supply chains, including but not limited to controversies related to Foxconn, a supplier of many key items for Apple with facilities located in China and elsewhere.
I haven't seen Dell become embroiled in public controversies of this kind. And of course, Dell already has the same policies as Apple in place :

Supplier Global Citizenship commitment

And yes, they have a whole plethora of programs in place for human rights, environnement, yaddi yadda :

Corporate Responsibility

So stop the indignation and educate yourself before you think people are trying to hold Apple to higher standards. Other companies don't push their "green" or "responsible" attitudes like Apple do, so every little change in policy or attempts to change their policies don't get discussed in the public place, but they still occur, behind hidden doors.

Apple corporate is in the lime light because they hang out there. At keynotes, they will tout their "green" status or they will have press releases for human right violations occuring at their suppliers and how they are reviewing their internal guidelines. Dell doesn't, hence Dell isn't in the media.

Get educated rather than angry. It's funny how people are so quick to get mad at people proposing things to Apple. Guy thought a special committee was needed, submitted it to the board, the board thinks it can handle the situation for now. This is just from their SEC filings, as they are required to do these.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
A human rights committee? What a joke.
You're right. How dare humans have rights within a company.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
The difference is :

I haven't seen Dell become embroiled in public controversies of this kind. And of course, Dell already has the same policies as Apple in place :

Supplier Global Citizenship commitment

And yes, they have a whole plethora of programs in place for human rights, environnement, yaddi yadda :

Corporate Responsibility

So stop the indignation and educate yourself before you think people are trying to hold Apple to higher standards. Other companies don't push their "green" or "responsible" attitudes like Apple do, so every little change in policy or attempts to change their policies don't get discussed in the public place, but they still occur, behind hidden doors.

Apple corporate is in the lime light because they hang out there. At keynotes, they will tout their "green" status or they will have press releases for human right violations occuring at their suppliers and how they are reviewing their internal guidelines. Dell doesn't, hence Dell isn't in the media.

Get educated rather than angry. It's funny how people are so quick to get mad at people proposing things to Apple. Guy thought a special committee was needed, submitted it to the board, the board thinks it can handle the situation for now. This is just from their SEC filings, as they are required to do these.
Excuse me? I am educated thank you very much. And yes people are holding Apple to a higher standard mainly because Apple is the most valuable company in the world (and people love seeing the most successful brought down) and is good click bait. The New York Times knows if it throws Apple in a headline its going to get more clicks aka eyeballs than Dell, HP, Samsung etc.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
You're right. How dare humans have rights within a company.
So human beings don't currently have rights at Apple?

A "human rights committee" is more PC feel good nonsense. Apple doesn't need a committee to help improve working conditions with their manufacturers in China.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Wow the board flat out lies. The the other other company doing as much for human rights as Apple we know is a lie. Others have much much stronger rules in place and requirements plus they follow threw on threats. Apple makes empty threats and does little real enforcement.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Excuse me? I am educated thank you very much. And yes people are holding Apple to a higher standard mainly because Apple is the most valuable company in the world (and people love seeing the most successful brought down)
Oh, jeez. This crap again?

Quote:
So human beings don't currently have rights at Apple?
It's quite likely that some of those in China don't. Unless you just mean being alive, and having a job.

Quote:
A "human rights committee" is more PC feel good nonsense. Apple doesn't need a committee to help improve working conditions with their manufacturers in China.
So, what would improve working conditions? Market pressure? The magical market that fixes everything?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:08 PM   #10
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post

It's quite likely that some of those in China don't. Unless you just mean being alive, and having a job.
What else were they born to do?
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Excuse me? I am educated thank you very much. And yes people are holding Apple to a higher standard mainly because Apple is the most valuable company in the world
No, again, people don't hold them up to higher standards because they are the most valuable, they do so because Apple likes to play in the limelight, and be at the forefront of media. They even have their own army of media bots pushing their stuff out there (AllThingsD, Gruber, Lyons, etc..).

Dell doesn't do keynotes or great big interviews, etc.. They do their thing on the side and sell generic computers. They are successful and no one really questions them, but they still have to follow rules/policies and like I linked to you if you bothered to research, still do the same things Apple does. In silence.

As much as people report the "bad" on Apple, they also report the "good" (still, this article is neither, it's a cold objective piece). Neither is done for Dell. It has nothing to do with value of the entity but rather with the fact that Michael Dell is not some kind of attention ----- that's always out there in the media for all to see.

Quote:
(and people love seeing the most successful brought down) and is good click bait. The New York Times knows if it throws Apple in a headline its going to get more clicks aka eyeballs than Dell, HP, Samsung etc.
Did you read the article ? Or did you just start raging here ?

No one is bringing Apple down. Stop crying for people to leave Britney alone. Read the article. Slowly, make sure to breathe.

The article states some facts : A shareholder asked the board to set up a special committee for evaluating human rights at suppliers. The board decided that for now, its actions were sufficient to control the situation and that such a committee wasn't needed. They are still required to report it because of SEC rules.

No one is bringing down Apple, the article itself is about the SEC filing and its content ahead of the end of year report due in February.

That's it. No victims, no "BAD Apple!". Why are you raging so much ?

You might be educated, but in this case, you sure lack information to make a coherent and educated response. Don't be afraid to stop, let go of the emotion and do some research before posting.

----------

Quote:
So, what would improve working conditions? Market pressure? The magical market that fixes everything?
You need to read the article too. The board are taking measures and they feel that it is sufficient for now, simply that a special committee is not required, not that they shouldn't take action at all.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:24 AM   #12
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Why are we expecting a private corporation to fund this and oversee such a thing? It is by nature a conflict of interest, it's something that could be done internally without expansion, and it really isn't something even 'independent' employees can be expected to do objectively. Even if they could, this committee would not necessarily have any muscle whatsoever. We pay taxes for government oversight...it's a major reason government exists and government acts as the enforcement division. Apple pays a ton of taxes to numerous countries. It's not an expense Apple should be expected to pay. Even if they did do this, don't you think most critics would call it a 'joke' anyway?
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Zach Vega
macrumors regular

Quote:
Market pressure? The magical market that fixes everything?
Over time, yes. The market does fix everything.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

My impression is that Apple have done more to improve the rights of ordinary Chinese working for them than any other company...

I mean seriously, Foxconn is now enforcing their overtime hours - that's only because Apple wanted them to.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:08 PM   #15
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Wow the board flat out lies. The the other other company doing as much for human rights as Apple we know is a lie. Others have much much stronger rules in place and requirements plus they follow threw on threats. Apple makes empty threats and does little real enforcement.
Apple's #1 goal as a corporation is maximizing shareholder value. Period. That is the only reason any shareholder owned corporation exists. Now with that said, public relations and "doing the right thing" is important when all eyes are on you, but I do honestly believe that Apple is doing as good of job as anyone when it comes to things like this.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues