Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:56 PM   #26
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
You have copied previous comments. It is here for all to see.

If you cant be bothered to read a thread properly then i will not take the time to respond.
I haven't copied previous comments. I have no idea what you are talking about!

Pertaining to the topic, I like the idea of an Apple grab bag and it would be cool if this event became a reality in the U.S.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:56 PM   #27
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Would those be the same rational people who are trying to sue FREE instagram because they didn't like a change to the TOS, or the rational woman who is suing the town in CT where her house burned down because she hired an unlicensed contractor under the table (who she was dating) and then her family was killed in a fire? I would say taking absolutely NO responsibility for your situation and also expecting people to give you everything you want for nothing is far from rational.
In the first case, Instagram offered - for free - a service where you can upload photos and people can say them, and then Instagram tried to change the rules and grab the right to sell those photos and keep the money. It's like offering free parking and then claiming that I own your car.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:01 PM   #28
iglobe
macrumors newbie

Samsung could be fined billions over efforts to ban Apple sales in Europe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...e-apple-europe
iglobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:02 PM   #29
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...
Well, after a few minutes of browsing the thread topics on the politcal forum of macrumors... It sure seems that way

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iglobe View Post
What's that got to do with anything?
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:10 PM   #30
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

MR these days: anti-American and anti-Chinese. What is your problem, people? This is a forum to talk about APPLE, not a place to spout out your silly narrow-minded, stereotypes.
somethingelsefl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:11 PM   #31
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

It's very very impressive how people have managed to turn a thread about Apple's lucky bags in Japan to African children and assault rifles.

Discuss those things here. I, and likely many others, have no interest in hearing about tragedies in a thread like this.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #32
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Wow... Talk about a stereotype. Believe it or not, the old westerns you see on TV are not the way the vast majority of the country is...

EDIT: Actually, Americans tend to be a little more rational these days... Lots of mass riots in Europe. We just tend to duke it out in court.
yes in the uk only that is trying to be like the US.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:29 PM   #33
mikechan1234
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Europe is a continent and the US a country. Please don't be so small minded

----------

but week after week in the US
So many small minded Americans here sigh
mikechan1234 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:37 PM   #34
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Crazy is indeed everywhere... It just occurs a lot more often in the US
More people live here. More people overall = more crazy people.
pure3d2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:49 PM   #35
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Crazy people are crazy anywhere. Can't really pin that on the US. If that kid had been in Europe when he went nuts, I wouldn't be pinning that on Europe. It's just a rare circumstance creating a rare horror, that wasn't dealt with in time to prevent the disaster.
Rare? They seem to be happening with increasing frequency.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:55 PM   #36
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.
Did you miss the part where this is taking place in Japan and not "the West?"
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:11 PM   #37
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Ha.

Is good they do this in Japan where people are civilized. If do this in US people would probably be shot or beat up, to steal the gift. Like crazy stories we hear on "black friday".

Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:22 PM   #38
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Americans traditionally value individual responsibility.

FALSE. Americans like to think a lot of funny things.

Poor always wanted handouts (welfare). Rich always wanted handouts (tax breaks, anti-competitive laws). And they get it, like every other developed country.

The day these people willingly give up their handouts, then you can say that. (which will be never)

Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:27 PM   #39
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechan1234 View Post
So many small minded Americans here sigh
There are plenty of small-minded folks here who don't reside in the US.

On topic, these bags have always sounded quite exciting. I'd love to see something like this in the US.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:20 PM   #40
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post
Wait, are you talking about the attack in Norway that left some 69 kids dead? Terrible regardless of where it happens....which unfortunately is the world over.
... whereas mass shootings occur weekly in the US.

Just some perspective, the United States has a 10.2 per 100,000 firearms death rate vs. 4.78 for Canada and 1.78 in Norway. The US firearms death rate is JUST below Mexico's 11.14 per 100,000...
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #41
Anonymouslives
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
... whereas mass shootings occur weekly in the US.
or our US troops kill tons of people in the Middle East every day, including women and children, but that doesn't make the news over here, because that's not what they want us to see. The US is likely responsible for millions of innocent lives, from invading foreign countries. But hey, it's not on Fox, or MSNBC, so it's not real, right?
iPhone 5 16gb black
Anonymouslives is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:28 PM   #42
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.
That's incredibly offensive.
It's a Japanese tradition and that is the reason they do it there and not here.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:28 PM   #43
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
When people line up in places like Sudan, Chad for UN delivered food it is very sad, but it has a profound purpose. This however, this western hysteria is a testament to how shallow societies are today, how stripped of any imagination, basic pride, self respect, value for the intellect the populace have grown to be, when the creative process has come to a complete halt. Brainwashing methods of gadget distribution to dumbed consumers. Apple should trick the masses and insert printed books into the bags.

Ouch. Someone got bit while waiting in a long queue. Did they sell out when your turn came up?
theanimaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:32 PM   #44
superman23
macrumors regular

Quote:
The reason they can probably do it in Japan and not the United States is due to the fact that the easterners tend to be not as wound up and agressive as Americans. If they did this in the U.S they'd be swamped with people threatening lawsuits because they didn't get the product they wanted.

and in places like Europe it would be illegal because returns are required by law.
superman23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:42 PM   #45
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Anti-American comments on the internet really frustrate me. I mean yes, I am American and am totally biased, but the people making these comments have little to no idea what life in America is really like, they just go off of ridiculous stereotypes.

You hear about the American obesity epidemic on the news, but most people here are not overweight.

You hear about American gun violence on the news, but most people here do not own guns.

You hear about Americans who think they are entitled to anything they want, but most people here work long and hard to earn money, pay taxes, and raise a family.

And that's just it, all of these "American" problems are problems in most other civilized countries as well. Are you telling me there aren't overweight people in other countries? People aren't fighting in other countries? Of course they are, but it's a tiny percentage of an overall population of good people. That's how most countries are, the United States of America included.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:51 PM   #46
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouslives View Post
or our US troops kill tons of people in the Middle East every day, including women and children, but that doesn't make the news over here, because that's not what they want us to see. The US is likely responsible for millions of innocent lives, from invading foreign countries. But hey, it's not on Fox, or MSNBC, so it's not real, right?
And that's exactly what people like Assange want the world to know. All these atrocities have to be paid for. Shouldn't get away with things like this.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:52 PM   #47
mrbucket2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Nah. Woot.com does the bag of crap during their wootoffs and most of the people get stuff that is absolute crap like the name implies but a few lucky people end up with something good like a laptop or a television or something else way better than the name implies. Obviously its very much against the odds that you will get something good but I've never heard of any problems with people complaining or suing Woot.
mrbucket2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #48
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
Anti-American comments on the internet really frustrate me. I mean yes, I am American and am totally biased, but the people making these comments have little to no idea what life in America is really like, they just go off of ridiculous stereotypes.

You hear about the American obesity epidemic on the news, but most people here are not overweight.

You hear about American gun violence on the news, but most people here do not own guns.

You hear about Americans who think they are entitled to anything they want, but most people here work long and hard to earn money, pay taxes, and raise a family.
While some comments might be overly biased, there is some truth to them. Have you also stood back and started to wonder when the anti-American bias started to come out... even by some of your closest allies? Do you travel much outside of the United States? For one, in Europe, Asia, and Canada, you won't see as many fat people as the United States - especially in the southern states. The size of some people is just shocking. The statistics just don't support your claim that obesity is NOT an issue in the United States. I'm not saying there are no fat people in Canada - just not as many as the US. BTW, your regular sized soft drink is like a large size in Canada

Gun ownership works out to 88.8 guns per 100 people in the United States, the highest per capita ownership rate in the world. In fact, there are over 300,000,000 guns in the United States. Rarely in other countries do people hear of shootings like Sandy Hook, Aurora, or Virginia Tech. These types of shootings are pretty much an American phenomenon.

I know many Americans, a large part of my family is American, and they're good people ... but there is also an extreme right which has polluted America's image worldwide. Thankfully, you guys voted Obama back - I know it was hard to swallow for some of you in the States, but the image Obama projects to the world is much better than that of Bush, Palin, and Romney.

As the saying goes, trust is hard to earn, easy to lose.

Last edited by coolspot18; Dec 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
coolspot18 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:14 PM   #49
Newton70
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
While some comments might be overly biased, there is some truth to them. Have you also stood back and started to wonder when the anti-American bias started to come out... even by some of your closest allies? Do you travel much outside of the United States? For one, in Europe, Asia, and Canada, you won't see as many fat people as the United States - especially in the southern states. The size of some people is just shocking. The statistics just don't support your claim that obesity is NOT an issue in the United States. I'm not saying there are no fat people in Canada - just not as many as the US. BTW, your regular sized soft drink is like a large size in Canada

Gun ownership works out to 88.8 per 100 people in the United States, the highest per capita in the world. In fact, there are over 300,000,000 guns in the United States. Rarely in other countries do people hear of shootings like Sandy Hook, Aurora, or Virginia Tech. These types of shootings are pretty much an American phenomenon.

I know many Americans, a large part of my family is American, and they're good people ... but there is also an extreme right which has polluted America's image worldwide. Thankfully, you guys voted Obama back - I know it was hard to swallow for some of you in the States, but the image Obama projects to the world is much better than that of Bush, Palin, and Romney.
Obviously, you've never travelled since if you had you'd realize that there are plenty of bad things, bad people, bad habits, atrocities etc etc etc the world over....none of which were caused, influenced, or attributed to in any way by the United States.

Seriously, was your post a response to all those "Let's Invade Canada Day" jokes? It was a joke, we have absolutely no intention of invading you...none...lest we wish to threaten the flow of pop singers your country has to offer.

Last edited by Newton70; Dec 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Newton70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:43 AM   #50
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post

And that's just it, all of these "American" problems are problems in most other civilized countries as well. Are you telling me there aren't overweight people in other countries? People aren't fighting in other countries? Of course they are, but it's a tiny percentage of an overall population of good people. That's how most countries are, the United States of America included.
The American problem is both complex and simple. And there is a problem. Similarly to Apple, if it was small and of no market consequence no one would care. The little addressed problem starts with the urban design of American cities, short life expectancy of poorly built housing resulting from once lack of skilled craftsmen, void of heavy machinery, time to build for incoming masses, but the abundance of timber and vast land. All this with added banking created worthless real estate but also isolated people with the advent of now dying car and in consequence rendered americans weird, lacking a sense of identity (less the 4th of July barbecue), blindly repeating some absurdities about freedom, democracy, God and being the best nation in the World

Bla bla bla, and EU and others see America as a nation which adopted over regulations reminiscent, if not identical, in its administrative effect to a communist state (here check the ease of remodeling your house and required permits, etc, local government harassment..), a state of policing people to an unseen degree, a state with heavily censored media (compare the content of USA CNN and CNN Europe to start with!).

Now comes the Costco, Walmart factor you brought up, of the horse-like portions in reality making the US society a factual beast of fat. The idea is rather simple, eat, watch crappy TV, buy an iPhone, **** and do as you are told. Ah, yes, before I forget, praise the freedom and tell everybody else to GTFU if they don't like the best nation in the World.

What puts Americans sadly in the very bad positions in those discussions is that in bulk they get no content in their media about the World compared to the Worls getting daily content about America and the rest of the World. Ask yourself, how much i.e. BBC is available to you?
Konrad is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues