Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
How is it you people are using Handbrake on your Mini since it does not have a CDrom? Are you using a USB connected one? I do have an older iMac that I turned on CD sharing, and it works, but I'm not sure if since it is connected over an 802.11G network that it can't pipe the data quick enough. I am ripping a movie now and I am not getting the CPU to be more than 40% used. I have heard of you guys basically getting all 8 virtual cores to max out during handbrake, just curious how you are doing that...

FYI, I am encoding a 1 hour 45 minute movie to iPad preset format and Handbrake is saying it will take approximately 45 minutes. Not sure if this is what I should expect from an i7 based mini.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You can use handbrake for other jobs than ripping from a DVD. Incidentally the makers don't recommend using handbrake to rip. But yes, it seems obvious that if people are ripping DVDs using handbrake on a mini with no DVD drive, they must be using an external drive. I suppose it would be possible to rip using DVD sharing too, but oh how miserable that would be.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
You can buy an external dvd, cd drive for $30. You can buy one that also does Blu-ray for $50. I've converted all my blu-ray and dvd movies to .mkv files using makemkv. Running makemkv is about the only thing I've used my cd,dvd,blu-ray drive for in several years.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I rip an 1:41 hour movie with my I7 late 2012 mini, basic drive, in 20 minutes, using Apple Super Drive using Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.