Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Westboro Baptist Church is a left wing cult...according to Fox News.

Yep, you heard that right folks. The Westboro Baptist church is a left wing cult and they were prevented from protesting the Newtown funerals by conservative bikers. I'm not even kidding. Fox news is for realz with this.

Link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fox_news_bikers_westboro.png
Views:	66
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	386087  
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Oh how depraved.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

I dug a bit. The reason they are calling them left-wing is because Fred Phelps previously ran as a democrat. So while neither party likely wants them, it could be said they are left-wing based on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_ph...mocratic_Party

If you go to the article instead of the screenshot, it links to this page which at the bottom gives the reasoning.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
I dug a bit. The reason they are calling them left-wing is because Fred Phelps previously ran as a democrat. So while neither party likely wants them, it could be said they are left-wing based on that.

Yeah but that's really a far stretch, i highly doubt anyone can look at the WBC and call them left wing.

You guys should also check out this link..
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/12...ch-is-liberal/
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
leekohler
Banned

Quote:

If you go to the article instead of the screenshot, it links to this page which at the bottom gives the reasoning.
Fox loves to lie. They went to court to get that right.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

I don't agree with Fox Nations assessment, but it is based on Fred Phelps personal affiliation with being a democrat. It's certainly a stretch of the truth but it's not very interesting past that. It's about 0.00001% better than them making it up.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Who knew the Democratic party had a Tea Party wing?
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Huntn
macrumors 604

Let's just forget who the Westboro Baptist Church is so Fox can somehow fit this into its agenda.

Quote:
The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is an American independent Baptist church known for its extreme ideologies, especially those against homosexuality.[2][3] The church is widely described as a hate group[4] and is monitored as such by the Anti-Defamation League and Southern Poverty Law Center.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Here are those left-wing cult members furiously fighting for Obama, you know, the fag lover.

rdowns is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:19 PM   #10
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Here are those left-wing cult members furiously fighting for Obama, you know, the fag lover.
I don't personally believe the WBC is left-wing, but you can be a Democrat and not like the Democratic party or candidate.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:20 PM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
I don't personally believe the WBC is left-wing, but you can be a Democrat and not like the Democratic party or candidate.

No argument here.

The only reason FOX used left wing is to try and tie them to Obama.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #12
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

That reasoning is terrible.

First, that Fred Phelps belonged to the Democratic party in Kansas does not make him "left-wing."

Moreover, consider that he ran five times and lost every single time as a Democrat. And, it's clear that Phelps has moved hard to the right after his support of Al Gore in 1992 (more than 20 years ago).

The WBC is a Christian cult that attacks homosexuals starting with their protest at the funeral of Matthew Shepard. And while the American left has become accepting of gay rights, including gay marriage, a portion of the the American right remains moribund in older thinking.

Note, the people who agree with the WBC rhetorically are all right-wing politicians, including Newt Gingrinch and Rick Santorum.

Fox's usage is not about accuracy, it's about trying to tie the WBC to the American left and thus be able to wash their hands of the cult's disgusting ideology.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:24 PM   #13
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Everything doesn't have to be left wing or right wing. Those folks are just pathetic little people who take the teachings of Jesus and twist it for their own notoriety. This is not a D or R issue; left or right.

The greatest tragedy in all of it is that they are raising their children to continue their tradition of hatred.
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
No argument here.

The only reason FOX used left wing is to try and tie them to Obama.
Not gonna work considering Phelps believes Obama is the Antichrist.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues