Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Does anyone know of a reliable speedtest site or application that will work with a G4 iBook? I tried using the speedtest site and others as well, but it just doesn't load or work for me. Thanks in advance!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are a few out there but I don't have the urls right now. Try using Google for a speed test search but add "no flash" and "no java".

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
There are a few out there but I don't have the urls right now. Try using Google for a speed test search but add "no flash" and "no java".

Well, I don't know why I didn't type that in when I was doing the search, but i did find one that worked wonderfully; it's too bad my iBook is so slow compared to my other devices.

the one I used was http://testmy.net. My results were....well, slow.

.4 Mb Download
.3 Mb Upload

Even though that's slow compared to the other devices on my network, I don't think it's too bad considering the considerably slower processor speed, and the fact that it is the oldest device in my collection.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
The speed of the computer should have little to no impact on the outcome of the test. Are you on wireless?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
speedtest.net

it works on my powerbook
Did you read the first line of the OP's post where he mentioned he had already tried speedtest.net?

And as mentioned, you need Flash for speedtest.net. Most of the speedtest sites out there require Flash, or Java.

On an old iBook that's taking enough of a performance hit before you even START the speedtest.

So, I sent the OP looking for sites that don't require Flash and/or Java. There are a few out there.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
True. And yes I am but my other devices that connect via WiFi are much faster(obviously due to them being newer)

I am not sure what kind of wireless is in your iBook, but lets say it is G wireless- that would slow you down if you are on an N network, which might be the cause of the low results. Also, unless you have a dual-band router, it will slow down everything else using the network at the same time.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I am not sure what kind of wireless is in your iBook, but lets say it is G wireless- that would slow you down if you are on an N network, which might be the cause of the low results. Also, unless you have a dual-band router, it will slow down everything else using the network at the same time.

I get why people like to know how their rigs do in speed tests. But I'm happy with my own internal fatigue monitor.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Open up Terminal.app (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and copy and paste the following to the command line and press Enter:

Code:
wget --output-document=/dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip

ETA: You might need to use this instead because I can't remember if it's wget or curl is available without MacPorts on older versions of OS X, but the results will be the same either way:

Code:
curl -o /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test500.zip

That will give you a pretty good idea for how fast your connection is. Be aware, though, that the test file is 500MB. If you have bandwidth limits/caps in your internet plan, you have been warned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.