Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I have Windows 7 installed in Boot Camp on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and I have it configured to require a Ctrl+Alt+Del to login.

There's no "Del" key on the MacBook Pro. There is a "Delete" key, but that's equivalent to "Backspace" in Windows. So I have to press Fn+Delete on the MacBook Pro in order to simulate the Windows "Del" key.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Delete works on the Windows login screen, but I noticed that Ctrl+Alt+Delete works too. That means Windows is accepting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and it shouldn't accept that on the login screen.

Last edited:

Sergeant Pepper

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Ctrl-Alt-(Macbook Pro Delete key) has always worked as Ctrl-Alt-Del for me, both on the login screen and in normal Windows 7 use. It's probably a part of Apple's Boot Camp drivers.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, I guess if the Boot Camp driver detects "Ctrl" and "Alt" pressed together and then the "Backspace" key comes in, it automatically converts it into a Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.