Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Jnardis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Is the iPad mini unlocked?

I just came back from the apple store and was told that the Att mini comes unlocked, but the VZ does not. I have the VZ mini and confirm it doesn't come unlocked. Has anyone tried Att?
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2
lyngo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
I just came back from the apple store and was told that the Att mini comes unlocked, but the VZ does not. I have the VZ mini and confirm it doesn't come unlocked. Has anyone tried Att?
You can put in AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad mini and use their 3G network. It does not come locked down.
lyngo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Yes Verizon is unlocked, att not. You might to get it activated though...

Unlockit.co.nz
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyngo View Post
You can put in AT&T Sim card in a Verizon iPad mini and use their 3G network. It does not come locked down.
Really? I have an ATT iphone 5. I put the sim into my ipad and it recognized the sim (the upper left corner said att), but when I go to use the internet I receive an error sim card and tell me to purchase a subscripion.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
Really? I have an ATT iphone 5. I put the sim into my ipad and it recognized the sim (the upper left corner said att), but when I go to use the internet I receive an error sim card and tell me to purchase a subscripion.
Go to unlockit.co.nz and select the correct apn. I'm using my mini with my dumbphone data ^_^
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
Go to unlockit.co.nz and select the correct apn. I'm using my mini with my dumbphone data ^_^
That didn't work. I clicked on the apn on the bottom and chose my country and verizon. Nothing happened. What does this actually do? I checked with my Att sim, but still no luck.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:44 PM   #7
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
That didn't work. I clicked on the apn on the bottom and chose my country and verizon. Nothing happened. What does this actually do? I checked with my Att sim, but still no luck.
Did you bother to read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the site you are asking about?
brand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
I just came back from the apple store and was told that the Att mini comes unlocked, but the VZ does not. I have the VZ mini and confirm it doesn't come unlocked. Has anyone tried Att?
iPads are not locked. They will only work on LTE on their respective carriers, however any of them will work with a GSM 3G network worldwide, as long as the frequency matches. That doesn't mean you can put an iPhone sim and expect it to work though.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
what is the point of putting an AT&T iPad on Verizon? Can someone tell me why in the world would they want to do that?
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
what is the point of putting an AT&T iPad on Verizon? Can someone tell me why in the world would they want to do that?
Bcs I work in NYC and the Verizon LTE in my building is non existant. The Att service is much better.
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:11 AM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
Bcs I work in NYC and the Verizon LTE in my building is non existant. The Att service is much better.
then sell the iPad and pay the difference to get the other one.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:17 AM   #12
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Why would you pick Verizon? You had an att sim correct? Probably oh from your iphone so you use the apn "phone". Make sure the drop down menu you select is att (phone) then it'll activate and work.

Like i said, I'm using the samething but with my medianet plan. $10+$10 (add a line + unlimited data) = unlimited tablet data. No lte but ill manage
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
then sell the iPad and pay the difference to get the other one.
Verizon works better at home. This way I get the best of both worlds.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
Why would you pick Verizon? You had an att sim correct? Probably oh from your iphone so you use the apn "phone". Make sure the drop down menu you select is att (phone) then it'll activate and work.

Like i said, I'm using the samething but with my medianet plan. $10+$10 (add a line + unlimited data) = unlimited tablet data. No lte but ill manage
Thanks for your help, but I don't see ATT (phone) as a frop down. I only see At&T, At&T (Blue), At&T (Broadband), At&T (HSPA+), AT&T (isp.cingular) and At&t (wap.cingular)
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:32 AM   #14
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Go with AT&T HSPA+

----------

Your almost there keep trying and you'll love having data on that mini
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
Go with AT&T HSPA+

----------

Your almost there keep trying and you'll love having data on that mini
Works like a charm! Thank you so much...
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:40 AM   #16
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnardis View Post
Works like a charm! Thank you so much...
No problem.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Jnardis
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
No problem.
I assume I have to delete the apn profile if I want to go back to the Verizon sim when I get home?
Jnardis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:10 AM   #18
cheezeit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Yeah or just repeat the step and select Verizon lte. Haven't gone back but I imagine that's roughly what you'd need to do
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: unlocked iPad Mini? edtorious iPad 2 Sep 13, 2013 05:13 PM
iPad Mini: Is the iPad Mini comes unlocked? BlindSoul iPad 7 Jul 17, 2013 08:52 PM
Resolved: iPad mini comes unlocked? pkultraboy iPad 2 Nov 26, 2012 01:36 PM
iPad Mini: Will a US iPad mini be unlocked in the UK? Yixian iPad 12 Nov 1, 2012 06:48 PM
Will the iPad Mini come unlocked like previous generations of iPad's. FatGuy007 iPad 2 Oct 25, 2012 03:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC