Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

First Magazine Advertisement for iPhone 5s Appears, Highlights Touch ID Sensor

Apple has started a new print advertising campaign for the iPhone 5s. The first spot, running on the back of this week's issue of The New Yorker, showcases the Touch ID-equipped home button of the new gold iPhone 5s.

Quote:
Your finger is the password.

Touch ID was created not only to protect all the important and personal information on your phone, but to be so easy to use, you'll actually use it. Its state-of-the-art technology learns your unique fingerprint, so you can unlock your phone or even authorize purchases with just a simple touch.

Touch ID. Only on iPhone 5s.
The spot in our image includes T-Mobile branding, but Apple's iPhone TV ads have traditionally rotated branding between all the carriers that carry the iPhone, likely as part of a co-marketing agreement.

Apple has been heavily advertising the iPhone 5c on television in recent weeks, but we have seen relatively little about the 5s, likely because of tight supplies. The print ads mention 'limited availability' of the iPhone 5s in fine print.

Update: Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated are running the same ad but with Sprint co-branding, while Rolling Stone is running it with Verizon co-branding and TIME is running it with AT&T co-branding.

Article Link: First Magazine Advertisement for iPhone 5s Appears, Highlights Touch ID Sensor
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:14 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Sold out everywhere in Canada, haven't seen a single person with it. I guess only basement nerds got it.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
WisdomSeed
macrumors newbie

Damn, that is one foine-ass device...
WisdomSeed is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:18 PM   #4
bottled
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Sold out everywhere in Canada, haven't seen a single person with it. I guess only basement nerds got it.
Well it does seem to say "Limited Availability" in the left corner
bottled is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Now Apple, expand this sensor to eliminate all passwords for everything and that likely means opening this up to developers. It is not enough to just use it for iTunes and apps.

Those who like passwords can still use them.
carlgo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #6
tbobmccoy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to tbobmccoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
Now Apple, expand this sensor to eliminate all passwords for everything and that likely means opening this up to developers. It is not enough to just use it for iTunes and apps.

This is a privacy concern, which is why Apple limited it to Apple apps.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #7
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post
Damn, that is one foine-ass device...
Hardware wise, it can't be faulted (inb4 'hurr durr it doesn't have a 50" screen like my Samsung ProG ScreenX Allmighty). However, software wise, it's absolute gash. The 5s doesn't feel quicker than the 5, even though it is. My complaints with iOS 7 aren't with the icons; it's the animations. Slow them right down and you'll see how sloppy they are -- subconsciously that sinks in. Plus it's still buggy, and it's really not optimised for 64-bit.

They ruined a perfect device with abysmal software. There's no consistency to the UI and it lacks the 'fit and finish' Apple are so renowned for.
keysofanxiety is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post

This is likely the plan when iCloud Keychain is released.
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Hmmm, is that a gold iPhone? how did they get their hands on that?!?!
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
johnhw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
There will be no privacy concern. TouchID is handled OS-level, not app-level. The app won't be able to get that information because it's OS-level.
johnhw is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #11
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
This is likely the plan when iCloud Keychain is released.
Hmm, didn't think about that
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Prof.
macrumors 68040

If it only worked for iTunes purchases. Every time I buy something it asks me to enter my 36 character password. Sooo much fun.
Prof. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
They could definitely provide validation through a public API that doesn't directly expose any info - just a simple boolean IsFPValidated or something to that effect. I'm pretty confident this will happen in the 7.x version of iOS.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #14
blue22
macrumors 6502

lovely product...

This kinda looks like an ad straight from the 1980s, but hey less is more.
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #15
darcyf
macrumors newbie

I found Touch ID to be a little touch and go there for the first week I had my 5s, but then I recalled Gruber's 5s review and his tip about wanting to have the entire ring around the home button covered by your fingerprint. When I adhere to this, the accuracy of Touch ID is truly impressive. Not to mention the speed. A very impressive and yet humble piece of tech.
darcyf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:28 PM   #16
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I just picked up a silver one at futureshop the other day, just called and they had one, got them to hold it and then went in so they could do my hardware upgrade
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:29 PM   #17
leepalisoc
macrumors newbie

"You'll actually use it".

Lol. I like that part. Take note of that, Samsung.
leepalisoc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
Exponent
macrumors regular

Obscure words...

What is this "magazine" item that you speak of?

"Print"? Do you mean, as in "to PDF"? What other use is there to the word?
Exponent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:30 PM   #19
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyf View Post
I found Touch ID to be a little touch and go there for the first week I had my 5s, but then I recalled Gruber's 5s review and his tip about wanting to have the entire ring around the home button covered by your fingerprint. When I adhere to this, the accuracy of Touch ID is truly impressive. Not to mention the speed. A very impressive and yet humble piece of tech.
I find it works amazingly well and doesn't much matter how I touch it, may it makes a difference person to person on how well it works. Its an awesome feature the only issue I have is I can't seem to get it to work for my app store purchases even though its turned on for them it always makes me type my password
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Jmoss4949
macrumors newbie

This was on the back of Rolling Stone last week.
Jmoss4949 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21
Parzival
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Hardware wise, it can't be faulted (inb4 'hurr durr it doesn't have a 50" screen like my Samsung ProG ScreenX Allmighty). However, software wise, it's absolute gash. The 5s doesn't feel quicker than the 5, even though it is. My complaints with iOS 7 aren't with the icons; it's the animations. Slow them right down and you'll see how sloppy they are -- subconsciously that sinks in. Plus it's still buggy, and it's really not optimised for 64-bit.

They ruined a perfect device with abysmal software. There's no consistency to the UI and it lacks the 'fit and finish' Apple are so renowned for.
Amen to that.
Parzival is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Touch ID was created not only to protect all the important and personal information on your phone, but to be so easy to use, you'll actually use it.
Except when you haven't bought an app in 24 hours, then we are going to need you to enter your password again.
Thanksomuch!
Zimmy68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:35 PM   #23
StevesJob
macrumors newbie

I totally want one.
StevesJob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:35 PM   #24
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

the ad does not mention that Touch ID was hacked only a few days after the release of the iphone
macchiato2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:38 PM   #25
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato2009 View Post
the ad does not mention that Touch ID was hacked only a few days after the release of the iphone
Cloning a fingerprint to work on a fingerprint scanner isn't 'hacking'. Learning somebody's password and using that to login to their computer isn't 'hacking'.

Exploiting a bug in Apple's system to have the TouchID unlock when you whistle a certain tune to it: that's closer.
keysofanxiety is offline   18 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion