Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:06 PM   #26
Newton70
macrumors regular

Interesting, but I have no reason to use crappy android apps on my Mac. Anyways, there's nothing on android that a Mac native app can't do as good if not better (at least for the things/tasks that are of use and benefit to me).
Newton70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:07 PM   #27
rmwebs
Banned

For what its worth, the mac version does appear to just be an emulator with a customised/rebranded version of Android 4.x running in a window.

You could just download the Android emulator for free and do this yourself.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #28
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

If only Apple would do this...
A Hebrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #29
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Cool but I think I'd rather use an application that is designed for a mouse/trackpad and keyboard on my Macintosh.
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:17 PM   #30
majkom
macrumors 6502a

why would anyone, ANYONE run android apps on mac? silly, dont see any target group...
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:35 PM   #31
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by majkom View Post
why would anyone, ANYONE run android apps on mac? silly, dont see any target group...
People have already listed reasons above you as to why they would want to, perhaps you should read. Also try not to assume that because you don't do something, other people don't either.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:39 PM   #32
damir00
macrumors 6502a

This looks fantastic. Website keeps trying to feed me the Windows exe installer, though - where exactly is the OSX version?
damir00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:42 PM   #33
herr_neumann
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to herr_neumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
People have already listed reasons above you as to why they would want to, perhaps you should read. Also try not to assume that because you don't do something, other people don't either.
Pretty clear to me that is sarcasm, but feel free to continue to jump down their throat.
herr_neumann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:44 PM   #34
slu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
I don't know. Sounds like a Google has started a shell corporation just make it seems like their apps are more accessible than Apple's.

Also it sound like they just took their SDK and just remove the development part but just left in the emulator in it. Nothing new.
I agree. And the Moon landing was faked on a sound stage in Arizona as well.

I think this is a cool development. I'd imagine some apps to be tough to use without touch screen, but imagine how handy this would be on a full Windows 8 tablet.

And developers will still develop for iOS as long as that is where the money is. A novelty like this will have literally zero impact.
slu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:44 PM   #35
winston1236
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=jontech;16561681]Awesome, was able to install get free apps from Amazon, get free MP3 credits, all without having to buy Android!

Nice![COLOR="#808080"]

Nobody buys android, its open source...and android isnt a phone its an os...i guess its amateur hour today.
winston1236 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:46 PM   #36
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

Why would anyone want to run iOS or Android apps on their desktop?

Seems pretty silly to me.
DesterWallaboo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:49 PM   #37
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Crappiest software on the planet + best platform on the planet. Gee, what's not to love about that?
inkswamp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:51 PM   #38
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Apple should be providing emulation for all other systems, including their own older systems:
Apple I
Apple II
Lisa
MacOS Classic
Rosetta
DOS
CPM
Windows
iOS on MacOSX
MacOSX on iOS

There is no reasonable excuse for them to abandon older software. They have the money resources. They have the computing power. By offering complete emulation they would make their hardware and OS the most desirable and would sell more hardware and OSs.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:55 PM   #39
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokujaryu View Post
I doubt that since the Android emulator is barely functional. They probably wrote something from "scratch". I have to put "scratch" in air quotes due to the plethora of open source software surrounding android.
How does this compare to an AVD? I find its faster to upload apk's to Dropbox, then download and Install them on an actual android device than to use AVD. (For some reason Eclipse refuses to run on the actual device when it's plugged in... I've spent days trying to figure that out to no avail.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:56 PM   #40
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
We should be able to do this with iOS apps as well. I think it would be cool to run some of my iOS apps in the corner of my ACD.
Technically it is possible in fact the SDK allows this for years now. You can run your new IOS app on theMac to test it. So of course it could be done. But why would Apple want to make it easy to do for the masses?
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #41
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to trying this out. It's a great idea and I hope it works for them.

Hopefully it won't feel like one of those horrible flash apps which are buggy and slow.

People need to look beyond their partisan views on here and realize Apple is not the only ones who can do great tech, Android has some great stuff too.
dazed is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #42
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubwvj View Post
Apple should be providing emulation for all other systems, including their own older systems:
Apple I
Apple II
Lisa
MacOS Classic
Rosetta
DOS
CPM
Windows
iOS on MacOSX
MacOSX on iOS
All of this is available. Except Mac OS X on IOS. (No one would want something that slow.)
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:58 PM   #43
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Great, now you can run apps designed for touchscreen on your Mac with a mouse and keyboard!

I guess this might be useful on Windows 8 machines to get a quick boost in the apps department.

And to those saying it is just a repackaged Android SDK emulator...no way. That thing runs dog slow on the fastest i7 with gobs of RAM. On my Air it runs like a river of molasses, even just starting it up takes around 6-7 minutes.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:03 PM   #44
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
I don't know. Sounds like a Google has started a shell corporation just make it seems like their apps are more accessible than Apple's.

Also it sound like they just took their SDK and just remove the development part but just left in the emulator in it. Nothing new.
Given that the app is pulling content from a bunch of different appstores (except Google Play) I'd call that complete rubbish. Google would have zero reason to do this under a shell corporation, and already provide you with the ability to run android apps on Windows and OS X via the Android emulator (which is all this bluestacks app is)
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #45
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Crappiest software on the planet + best platform on the planet. Gee, what's not to love about that?
Best platform... Muh sides!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #46
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Go home and stop trying to be a naughty little troll

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Technically it is possible in fact the SDK allows this for years now. You can run your new IOS app on theMac to test it. So of course it could be done. But why would Apple want to make it easy to do for the masses?
When you run your app during development, it's compiled as x86. When you send it off to the appstore its ARM6/7 only. So the appstore versions wont (ever) work natively under OS X whilst its x86. You'd need to recompile absolutely every app, or provide an emulator to emulate an ARM process.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #47
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
And why Google would have to start a shell company?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:08 PM   #48
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Great, now you can run apps designed for touchscreen on your Mac with a mouse and keyboard!

I guess this might be useful on Windows 8 machines to get a quick boost in the apps department.

And to those saying it is just a repackaged Android SDK emulator...no way. That thing runs dog slow on the fastest i7 with gobs of RAM. On my Air it runs like a river of molasses, even just starting it up takes around 6-7 minutes.
Look at the app - go into the app's contents and have a poke around.

It's an emulator.

Put it this way. It'd be IMPOSSIBLE for Android (or iOS) apps to run on OS X (an x86 system) without an emulator to convert the arm compiled app.

It's an android emulator - it takes seconds to figure that out....it's not really even that well hidden.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:09 PM   #49
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper12 View Post
My girlfriend has many friends who use "What's App". However, "What's App" has no Desktop version and she has no smartphone. So she installed bluestacks and "What's App".
Wow, never considered that. Great idea.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:09 PM   #50
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
All of this is available. Except Mac OS X on IOS. (No one would want something that slow.)
iOS emulation on OS X isn't available either.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion