Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Hey, I got an iPhone 4S for Christmas, I have a lot of phone numbers that was saved on my Android device and it would take too long to manually type them all out on my iPhone... is there anyway I can export those contacts to iOS without spending all day re-entering in contacts?

I'm with T-Mobile, so I had to also cut my SIM card into a micro SIM card, but I heard there was a way that you could export your contacts from Android on to iOS... does anyone know how to do this with just the SIM card?

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Contacts should be saved in google... Go to gmail click on contacts and you should see them there. Export all contacts into apple format (vCard) I think. Then go to iCloud.com go to contacts and import them into iCloud.

Ta-da!

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
When I changed from SGS2 on T-mobile to iPhone 5, I went to the local T-mobile store. They pulled up all my sim contacts on the SGS2 using device and downloaded in on to the new SIM card on the iPhone.
Hey, I got an iPhone 4S for Christmas, I have a lot of phone numbers that was saved on my Android device and it would take too long to manually type them all out on my iPhone... is there anyway I can export those contacts to iOS without spending all day re-entering in contacts?

I'm with T-Mobile, so I had to also cut my SIM card into a micro SIM card, but I heard there was a way that you could export your contacts from Android on to iOS... does anyone know how to do this with just the SIM card?

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Alright, so here's the situation. I switched from the HTC dream (T-mobile) to the iPhone 4S

I already cut my SIM into a micro SIM, do I need the actual HTC dream device to export contacts?

If I go to T-Mobile with the Micro SIM and it's extra cut out will they be able to send all of the contacts on to my iPhone 4S phone number list?

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about Facebook contacts, but I'm talking about like phone numbers that I've added -- I never added them into Gmail, so I'm confused why I would need Gmail for that...? I didn't have internet on my HTC dream, but I have data on my iPhone 4S..

Should I go to T-Mobile and have them do it? I'd also like to keep texts threads, and photos, videos etc. on my HTC dream.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Its nothing to do with your sim, contacts on smatphones aren't stored on the sim due to the limited size for contact fields. They can only store 1 or 2 numbers per contact, smartphones need fields for photo, emails, address, etc.

Are you sure your contacts aren't in your google account. Andorid is tightly integrated with google and I would expect it to copy them to your google account. Never used android tho so I an't confirm, but other posters seem to indicate this.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Wow the answers above are more complex than they need to be :p

Presumably you logged into a Google account on your Android phone and your contacts synced to your Google account. All you have to do is add that account to iOS and they'll automatically sync.

It's that simple.

iOS supports syncing with Google, not just iCloud :)

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
You don't have to go to T-Mobile to import your Android contacts if they're saved on your SIM card -- even if you converted it into a micro SIM. It's very simple:

First, put in your micro SIM card in your iPhone, then:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calender > Contacts > Import SIM contacts

You're done, it's as easy as that.

Last edited:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Wow the answers above are more complex than they need to be :p

Presumably you logged into a Google account on your Android phone and your contacts synced to your Google account. All you have to do is add that account to iOS and they'll automatically sync.

It's that simple.

iOS supports syncing with Google, not just iCloud :)
This is the right answer, AFAIK. No need to export them. They should be in you Google Account.

More specifically, you should set it up this way to sync just your contacts: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2753077

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
You don't have to go to T-Mobile to import your Android contacts if they're saved on your SIM card -- even if you converted it into a micro SIM. It's very simple:

First, put in your micro SIM card in your iPhone, then:

Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calender > Contacts > Import SIM contacts

You're done, it's as easy as that.

Thank you! This worked, and I feel stupid for not being able to find that lol. Guys, I used to have an Android phone, but I don't have a Gmail account, so I don't have an account to log into... I just wanted to get the list of phone numbers/contacts from my old phone to my iPhone :D

Thanks again all!

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I was getting confused reading these replies. All I did was set up my Gmail (Google) account through an Exchange Account - it gives you an option to import contacts and calendar. Very easy. Don't choose "Gmail" when setting up your mail, choose the "Exchange Account".

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I was getting confused reading these replies. All I did was set up my Gmail (Google) account through an Exchange Account - it gives you an option to import contacts and calendar. Very easy. Don't choose "Gmail" when setting up your mail, choose the "Exchange Account".

Same here. It turns out the OP didnt actually have a google account, so that wouldn't have worked, but there's no need to import Google contacts into iCloud as someone suggested earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.