Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
psykick5
macrumors 6502

Mac partition won't show up, boot

So I was fiddling around with partitions and had no idea how destructive doing that on a Mac is. My rMBP now is basically a Windows machine. The Mac partition still exists and I can browse it in Windows, but it doesn't show up on the boot menu. Is there a sort of "startup repair" for OS X?
psykick5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Weaselboy

Try doing a command-r (both keys at once) at startup and that will take you to a recovery partition. From there you can run Disk Utility to reformat the drive or fix the partitions and reinstall the OS if needed. Hopefully you have a Time Machine backup you can use to restore your data after this.

Here is some info on how recovery works.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
psykick5
macrumors 6502

I know I can recover and I have a backup it just seems dumb that that's what I have to do when all the data is still sitting right there and it's just the boot that is not working.
psykick5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help