Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I prefer device consolidation so a larger capacity iPhone works for me. I don't have too much music and I've got room for video too along with anything else.

That being said, there is an iPod Classic in the wife's minivan but it's hooked up to the TV in there so the kids have ALL the video they need.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Ya can't beat the battery life on that iPod! I've got both (4s and iPod Touch) and use the iPod quite a bit listening to music.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have Classic for travel in car. Both music & movies. Can't beat it. Also do not need to constantly plug in and unplug when getting in & out.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I prefer device consolidation so a larger capacity iPhone works for me. I don't have too much music and I've got room for video too along with anything else.

That being said, there is an iPod Classic in the wife's minivan but it's hooked up to the TV in there so the kids have ALL the video they need.

Sounds like one of those loan adverts that used to be on British TV! "consolidate all your devices into one easy to manage device" :D

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Aside from my iphone, I have an old ipod Touch that I leave in the car. Also have a little 6th gen Nano for working out at the gym.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
While I don't have an iPhone (I have an Evo), I couldn't imagine trying to use my phone for much entertainment also as I conserve my battery for phone and internet/email use...throwing music into the mix, it wouldn't last a whole day:(

I have an iPod 60Gb photo and two different generations of Nano's (3rd and 4th) in our vehicles, an iPod Touch 4th gen for casual use and a 4th gen shuffle for biking...so yes, I'd recommend a separate iPod just for music:D

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Even though I have two iPhones (64GB and 32GB) plus a 16GB Nano, I still prefer to use my 160GB Classic in the car because of how much I can have on it. The Classic is nearly full with 150GB, 90 of that is music, the rest are podcasts.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
iPod classic is so expensive eh... $250 for that brick?

Brick maybe, but lots of suggestions in regards to it. It really does a great job and holds a lot of music. I even upgraded my HDD privately to a 500GB HDD so I could put more on it. You can even get SSD for it as well. Most of us are probably only using it in the car so it is not being handled in and out of the car. Mine stays permanently in my car unless I need to add more to it. Well worth the money and IMO more durable than the new iPods.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Depends on the use. I have one iPod I constantly keep in the car, another iPod I use for sports and then I also have an iPhone. Works well for me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If you don't know what you'd do with one, then don't buy it.

I personally have reasons why I don't want to buy a huge capacity iPhone/iPad. One of them is that if it breaks, it breaks and there goes all my music, pictures, and apps. So I like having it all separated. I'd rather reload apps than I would music. It's a PITA, especially when you have to decide which tracks go in since my library doesn't even fit into the classic - And yes, I CAN tell the difference, so I can't downgrade tracks.

I use my iPod Nano for music, counting my steps, podcasts, listening to the radio, audiobooks, and iTunes U content. I also use the photo app for viewing flashcards that I make on Quizlet, export as PDF, and then JPG. :D

But if you're not into any of that, then it'll just be something that sits in your drawer. So really think about it before you spend the money.

BugBytes

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
I have an iPhone 4S and use that as an iPod and as a phone. I like the iPod form factor(s) but never was willing to spend the money for another device when I already had one that did the job of an iPod (and more) perfectly fine.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
another classic (80gb) here. it holds my entire music collection and sits in stereo at home or in car. biggest advantage is that you can still listen to albums by one artist in album order, not alphabetically by song like on Touch and iphone. although there is an app to listen by album as well there.
other advantage ist that iphone doesn't constantly load when on stereo set or in car. with the 2007 classic i don't care whether thats possibly bad for the battery. but on the go apart from car i only use iphone (32gb) for music, it holds most of my stuff.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
My phone was the last device I got. I still have a 40gb 3rd gen (black and white) that I have in a dock in the living room. I use that all the time, though I'm not good at keeping it synced.

My Shuffle I use for working out. The phone I use in the car as I have a charger in there. I have a 1G Touch that really doesn't get used anymore. I have a clock radio with a dock on my desk, but I will usually just use iTunes if I want music when working there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.