Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Personally, an iPhone 5. Although I own both an i5 and iPod Touch since all my music is kept on the Touch. Even though my iPhone comes everywhere with me, whereas my iPod does not.

However, if you're looking to save some money, the dumb phone + iPod Touch isn't a bad combination.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Iphone 5 as much as I use all the various features I'd rather have everything in one device. Two different gadgets in my pocket all the time, no way.......

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I made the jump from multi-devices to one. Each scenario has its ups and downs. I like having all-in-one but if you lose it... You're done.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My choice would be an iPhone 5 over a dumb phone and iPod touch. It is one less device to carry and remember to charge.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If money was no object then who wants to carry two devices right?

So you are willing go to without cellular data and will rely on hotspots for Internet access - OK.

Dumb phone's month-to-month usage can be super cheap if u don't make that many voice calls anyways so you are left by the initial outlay$ of an iPod.

A subsidized iPhone is like a printer, cheap, but every change of cartridge is gonna hurt. A subsidized phone is good for people who use lots of cellular data anyways, but doesn't sound like you need it that much, so if you go this route you will be paying average $70/month and do you get the usage out of it you must ask yourself.

There is a third route: Buy an unsubsidized i5 but the initial outlay$ is steep $650+ but you are left with the freedom to choose what cell plan you need, from no cellular data, PayAsYouGo $10 cents per voice calls, or Straight Talks has a 50 mbyte/month plan $30 bux.

There is a 4th route: Buy an unsubsidized 4s, perfectly capable, about usd$400, refurb. I love refurb electronics because they are cheaper, practically new, and all kinks is been cleaned already.

You do the math.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.