Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Genius bar upgrades?

So I am seriously pondering taking my new 27 in and having the ssd added to it, I only got the 1TB hdd and have been using my external thunderbolt with ssd for osx, but I think I want it internally. Can the genius bar upgrade it for me? I really dont want to have to return my BTO and get a new BTO.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
So I am seriously pondering taking my new 27 in and having the ssd added to it, I only got the 1TB hdd and have been using my external thunderbolt with ssd for osx, but I think I want it internally. Can the genius bar upgrade it for me? I really dont want to have to return my BTO and get a new BTO.
I'm not 100% sure, but to get a clear answer, just call your local Apple Store and ask them.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

I called Apple Support and was told the Genius Bar only does faulty part replacement. An Apple Authorized Repair facility will do the upgrade at an hourly rate but the new part isn't covered under Apple's regular or AppleCare warranties.

I'm considering buying the 1TB model then spending $100 to have a repair place install a 512GB SSD internally and keep the 1TB external. That way when the 1TB is full it'll be easy to replace it.
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Auramancer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeMRT View Post
I called Apple Support and was told the Genius Bar only does faulty part replacement. An Apple Authorized Repair facility will do the upgrade at an hourly rate but the new part isn't covered under Apple's regular or AppleCare warranties.

I'm considering buying the 1TB model then spending $100 to have a repair place install a 512GB SSD internally and keep the 1TB external. That way when the 1TB is full it'll be easy to replace it.
Do this void the warranty of the original parts?

Last edited by Auramancer; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Auramancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:26 PM   #5
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auramancer View Post
Do this void the warranty of the original parts?
All of the original parts remain under warranty as long as an authorized technician does the labor.
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac