Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
I have an iPhone 4, a 3rd generation iPad, and a Mac. I have Dropbox on each device.

I cannot figure out how to save an email message, OR an attachment, OR a photo, or a document to Dropbox on my phone or iPad?!

The "share" button brings up various options (Mail, Twitter, FB, Assign to Contact, Save Imagine, Print, Copy, etc.) but never Dropbox.

Am I missing something obvious? THANK YOU very much!

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I have an iPhone 4, a 3rd generation iPad, and a Mac. I have Dropbox on each device.

I cannot figure out how to save an email message, OR an attachment, OR a photo, or a document to Dropbox on my phone or iPad?!

The "share" button brings up various options (Mail, Twitter, FB, Assign to Contact, Save Imagine, Print, Copy, etc.) but never Dropbox.

Am I missing something obvious? THANK YOU very much!

Well, for an e-mail couldn't you open the e-mail on your Mac and print/save as a PDF? You could then move the PDF e-mail to DropBox..

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
Thank you for the reply.

I really want to save to Dropbox from my phone or iPad, though.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well, you can save docs/PDFs via the Open In... function. As for photos, go into Dropbox app, hit the + sign to upload and follow directions to grant access to your camera roll. Emailed photos can be saved to camera roll. As for emails, take a screen shot and then upload photo to Dropbox.

****, things are much much easier than they used to be with the iPhone. This thing used to be the most backward, obstructionist device on the market.

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
Well, you can save docs/PDFs via the Open In... function. As for photos, go into Dropbox app, hit the + sign to upload and follow directions to grant access to your camera roll. Emailed photos can be saved to camera roll. As for emails, take a screen shot and then upload photo to Dropbox.

Thanks KAS, for the reply.

Well, a couple of problems... I don't want to auto upload all my photos to Dropbox, and that's what the + sign is for, no?

And yes, emailed photos or screen shots can be easily saved to camera roll, but that doesn't get them into Dropbox. When I click the share button on camera roll photos, my options are: Mail, Message, Photo Stream, Twitter, FB, Assign to Contact, Print, Copy, or Use as Wallpaper. No Dropbox option, although Dropbox is installed on all my devices.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks KAS, for the reply.

Well, a couple of problems... I don't want to auto upload all my photos to Dropbox, and that's what the + sign is for, no?

And yes, emailed photos or screen shots can be easily saved to camera roll, but that doesn't get them into Dropbox. When I click the share button on camera roll photos, my options are: Mail, Message, Photo Stream, Twitter, FB, Assign to Contact, Print, Copy, or Use as Wallpaper. No Dropbox option, although Dropbox is installed on all my devices.

When you tap the + in the dropbox app, you can select to only upload one picture. Let me know if that works for you.

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
When you tap the + in the dropbox app, you can select to only upload one picture. Let me know if that works for you.

Noooo, unfortunately it isn't working for me! In fact, right now it's in process of uploading over 1000 pics! I don't want them all there, so I will have to delete them. I doubt I even have enough Dropbox space for them!!! Gah!

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
http://i.imgur.com/Q28UD.jpg

Hmm very strange. Make sure camera upload is off. (bottom right pic)

The other 3 pics are me just uoploading one pic to dropbox. Hope the pic helps.

Kouki,
Thank you for the screen shots and the reply. VERY HELPFUL!

"Camera Upload" was ON. I turned it to off, and it then worked just like you showed me. Yay! Thank you!

Soooo... if I save an image (any image, including a screen shot) into Camera Roll, then FROM DROPBOX (but NOT from Camera Roll, oy!) I can upload and save it to Dropbox. Right?

I'm glad to know how to do this, but does it seem a little more complicated and convoluted than it needs to be to anyone else -- or is it just me?!!! :eek:

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Thank you for the reply.

I really want to save to Dropbox from my phone or iPad, though.

If you have a Mac though I would use that to save your emails. What difference does it make if you do it with your iPhone/iPad?

If you didn't have access to a computer then I would understand...

Tiskers

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
PA
If you have a Mac though I would use that to save your emails. What difference does it make if you do it with your iPhone/iPad?

If you didn't have access to a computer then I would understand...

When I travel I typically don't take my Mac, just my iPad. Sometimes that may be for a couple of weeks at a time.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
When I travel I typically don't take my Mac, just my iPad. Sometimes that may be for a couple of weeks at a time.

There are 3rd party solutions you can use to upload files by email. This way you can just forward the email.

http://sendtodropbox.com/ is one of them. I have not used them though, so make sure you check reviews before you try it.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I know pocket has a script that uses the bookmarks to transfer web pages to the app, maybe drop box has something similar, you should ask on their website.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm glad to know how to do this, but does it seem a little more complicated and convoluted than it needs to be to anyone else -- or is it just me?!!! :eek:

It is convoluted. Especially uploading photos. But it is a whole lot better than it used to be. Back in iOS 2 or 3, it used to take 10 different steps and 4 different apps to do a simple task that we now take for granted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.