Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
digitalduck
macrumors regular

Smile Former Microsoft employee leaving PC behind, moving to a Mac, need advice

Hi guys! So long story short, I used to work at Microsoft, build my own pcs and love most things Microsoft. That was before I had my 3Gs, ipod touch, Iphone 4 and now Iphone 5. I am getting too much into the ecosystem that I have decided to leave my pc behind and move towards and Imac. However, that is where I am still a newbie in selecting the proper system. I haven’t had a mac since my old LC3. Anyway, I currently have a 24” Dell monitor that is more widescreen then the 24” Imac monitor. I feel that I would benefit more from the 27” because I want to do a lot of video editing etc. and the 24” looks more square. Iwould only have about 1100 to spend so it would have to be craigslist or ebay. I would look for one that still has apple care on it of course. So my question I guess is for basic video editing and streaming to AppleTV would I need a quad core or could I get by with a duo core? Also what happened to Idvd? How can I still get it? Any other system specs to make sure I look out for?

Thanks!!
digitalduck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
forty2j
macrumors 68030

24" iMacs haven't been made since summer 2009. Anything recent is 21.5" or 27", and are all 16:9 widescreen (same as your monitor).

To stream from iMac to Apple TV, you need at least a 2011 model.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalduck View Post
So my question I guess is for basic video editing and streaming to AppleTV would I need a quad core or could I get by with a duo core?
You could probably get by with a duo core if you increase the RAM. Going from 4gb RAM to 8gb would be a big performance jump and not too costly, whereas upgrading the processor can be a more pricey.

Quote:
Also what happened to Idvd? How can I still get it?
My MacBook Pro is running version 10.8.2 of OS X and I still have iDVD so I'm not sure what you're referring to here. It still exists as far as I can tell...

Quote:
Any other system specs to make sure I look out for?
A lot of hard drive space would be necessary if you plan on doing video editing or the like. Media (referring to more than just mp3 files) tends to take up a lot of hard drive space so it's nice to have a lot at hand.

Also, having a nice graphics card will help speed up video editing, but I'm not too informed on recent iMac choices because I've been falling behind on hardware updates so maybe someone else could help you here.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

iDVD has been discontinued for a few years, along with iWeb. The rest of the traditional iLife applications (iPhoto, iMovie, Garage Band) are still available and are still bundled with new Macs.

I don't think Apple sell iDVD at all any more. You can probably find a used copy on eBay or somewhere. If you have an older Mac that had iDVD, it still works if you upgrade the OS to the latest version, I think.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
digitalduck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfitz14 View Post

My MacBook Pro is running version 10.8.2 of OS X and I still have iDVD so I'm not sure what you're referring to here. It still exists as far as I can tell...
Hmm, I was informed that the newest versions of Ilife no longer contained Idvd, if that was wrong then that would be great. At least maybe they meant it didnt come bundled and you had to buy ilife seperate?
digitalduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:50 PM   #6
sounddesigner
macrumors regular

Have u tried the mac app store for a refurbished model they have 21" with quad core that seems nice for the budget also with refurb straight from apple u can buy apple care so u will have a three year warranty and since u will be doing video editing I would recommend spending all of your budget on it since video can be intensive on every part of your computer

Last edited by sounddesigner; Dec 27, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalduck View Post
Hmm, I was informed that the newest versions of Ilife no longer contained Idvd, if that was wrong then that would be great. At least maybe they meant it didnt come bundled and you had to buy ilife seperate?
I noticed that iDVD isn't in the "OS X built-in apps" on Apple's website so you may be correct, however I don't think that should be a deciding factor. Not sure why you're concerned about iDVD specifically, however I am absolutely positive you would be able to find an app (whether developed by Apple or 3rd party in the Mac App Store) that works just as good if not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
Have u tried the mac app store for a refurbished model they have 21" with quad core that seems nice for the budget also with refurb straight from apple u can buy apple care so u will have a three year warranty and since u will be doing video editing I would recommend spending all of your budget on it since video can be intensive on every part of your computer
What he said about buying refurb from Apple. It seems like a very reliable option considering the process they use to refurb machines and the warranty refurbs come with.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
biggd
macrumors 6502

Hey buddy!
I miss building my own PC's, I hope you enjoy your new Mac.
I would encourage you to go to bestbuy or the apple store and try different macs out to get a good feel. Some times I feel like the 27" is too big. But every Mac size has its own "feel".

Question: have you used macs before? What do you think of Mac os? What do you think of Windows 8? Annnnnd what do you think of app stores?
biggd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
digitalduck
macrumors regular

Yes, had a Mac 512k enhanced like 28 years ago and stopped at a Mac LC3. When I had a PC I even had a doc program that simulated the Mac doc at the bottom. Not liking windwos 8 with a non touch screen interface. Since I have a 24" inch now i think the 21 would be too small but at least it keeps the widescreen feel. Also since they stopped the 24" it seems like the 27 would be the way to go, just need a bigger budget. However ill try the 21 and see how it feels lol

Also I wanted idvd, because they have a nice baby template for authoring some movies of my daughter that I seem to like when I saw it.
digitalduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac