Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Did a thread similar to this on the iPad forum. Now it's time for the iPhone owners. For me the first week was a 10/10. Now it's just meh the larger iPad screen has me spoiled lol I barely even check my phone anymore. So about a 7.5 out of 10 currently.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
9/10.

The good:
- Camera (compared to Galaxy Nexus)
- Screen colours + accuracy
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- Speed + graphic capabilities
- Battery life
- Siri while driving
- Loudness of the speaker (something that really irritated me about the Galaxy Nexus was how quiet the speaker was)
- Aesthetically very pleasing
- Google maps turn by turn :D (I've been led astray a few times by Apple Maps but never with Google Maps)

And finally, my favourite feature of all - iCloud integration across my iPhone, iPad and Mac. The calendar, notes and reminders syncing across is insanely useful to me.

The bad:
- Potential scuff gate but doesn't bother me too much. I'm going to be using this for 2 years and I expect it to pick up a few marks here and there.
- Non user replaceable battery
- Non expandable memory
- Not all apps are iPhone 5 optimised

I knew about the bad points before I purchased - they are more irksome than full on annoying.

So far, I've been very pleased.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I'd say 9/10. The first week would have been a 5. The battery was draining way too fast. But I did a restore and then a hard reset and now the battery is excellent.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
9.5 out of 10.

Outside of crazy upgrades there is not much left to do. LTE is too fast, most games don't even tax the A6 at all, and the battery charges faster and lasts longer.

I didn't care about a bigger screen, but it's actually nice. The other upgrades were great, and anyone that claims it's not "innovative" or just a "bigger 4S" are likely either people who can't upgrade/afford to, or are just Android trolls trying to pretend the next big thing is already here.

The 4S was a fantastic phone. Probably a solid 8.5/10. The 5 blows it away in almost every category.

The one minor exception being it is slightly harder to keep it cosmetically "perfect". In return for this horrible burden, Apple was able to make the 5 thinner and lighter. The horror.

It will be a 10/10 when they "innovate" and add weapons grade lasers, a flux capacitor, and do my laundry....

Until then, I'll be using the 5.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
9 out of 10.

Outside of crazy upgrades there is not much left to do. LTE is too fast, most games don't even tax the A6 at all, and the battery charges faster and lasts longer.

I didn't care about a bigger screen, but it's actually nice. The other upgrades were great, and anyone that claims it's not "innovative" or just a "bigger 4S" are likely either people who can't upgrade/afford to, or are just Android trolls trying to pretend the next big thing is already here.

The 4S was a fantastic phone. Probably a solid 8.5/10. The 5 blows it away in almost every category.

The one minor exception being it is slightly harder to keep it cosmetically "perfect". In return for this horrible burden, Apple made was able to make the 5 thinner and lighter. The horror.

It will be a 10/10 when they "innovate" and add weapons grade lasers, a flux capacitor, and do my laundry....

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
9/10!

I just want something new in the software department! Like a new feature or something (that's bigger than a DND mode).

Battery life (compared to 4S) is brilliant as well.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
9/10.

- Non user replaceable battery
- Non expandable memory
- Not all apps are iPhone 5 optimised

For the first 2 - it's been like that for 5 years and will likely never change, so I don't know why you were even expecting that.

As for the 3rd, a majority have been updated now and it's not really Apple's fault that developers aren't updating them. The major ones have been updated a while ago - Fb, Twitter, Viber, Whatsapp, Skype, Waze, Flipboard and lots more.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
9.9/10. Great improvement over the iPhone 4S. The only problem, which isn't really a problem, is I have one speck of dust in my camera.

punchdrunk55

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
My experience is going from the 4s to the 5.

LTE is awesome sauce. Really fast and possibly worth the upgrade just for that.

I really haven't had any problem keeping it looking perfect and I didn't use a case for the first two weeks.

The phone is noticeably faster most of the time although I have been getting noticeably more software hang ups than on the 4s. Not sure if this is a 6.0.1 thing since I have been hesitant about going to 6.0.2. Every once in a while It gets hung up closing down messages and other apps.

I enjoy the upgrades to the screen and speaker.

Overall I would say 8/10

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
8/10

I thought I'd be content with the 4" screen, but I really want a larger one. Probably 4.6-4.8". I have some weird screen clicking from time to time. Also, iOS is really not doing much for me anymore. In major need of a redesign and innovative/new features.

But the battery is great. LTE is great. The screen looks good. The phone is super fast, the camera is stellar, and the hardware looks and feels far better than any of its competitors.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
9/10. I just upgraded from an iPhone 4, which I was perfectly happy with, except for AT&T's crappy 3G service in my area. Reception had been acceptable until early this year, when AT&T sold a couple of its cell towers to Verizon (or so I heard). I upgraded in the hope that AT&T's LTE service would be better. It is – except, at my house, I only get a 3G signal. I do seem to have fewer dropped calls at home so far, so maybe the iPhone 5's antenna is better, and I do get LTE reception at work.

Other than that, everything is better about the iPhone 5. It's faster. It's lighter. The camera (which was great on the iPhone 4) is even better. I like the extra screen real estate.

I ding it one point for its slick surface. I don't understand why Apple doesn't use a material with some friction for the back and sides, because, "naked," the phone is too easy to drop – especially when my hands are dry and chapped from winter. Buying a UAG case solved that problem for me, but why not create a phone that doesn't need an external case? I also wish that Apple would include a landyard/strap connector on the phone, so that I'd feel more comfortable when I'm taking pictures while leaning out over a river or railing.

Otherwise, I don't know what they can improve for the iPhone 5S or the 6. The product matured with the iPhone 4, in my opinion. LTE is an improvement in the network more than the phone (although the phone has to support it, obviously). I'm sure the processor will continue to get marginally faster and run more complex apps, and the camera will get marginally better.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Not sure how I double posted there =P.

For reference, my REAL score is a 9.5 (I was editing to add the .5 and somehow got duped haha...).

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
9 out of 10.

The one minor exception being it is slightly harder to keep it cosmetically "perfect". In return for this horrible burden, Apple made was able to make the 5 thinner and lighter. The horror.

well compared to a 4S not that much is different. You can say it's faster but is that one second different on opening apps worth $200? A taller screen doesn't matter to some people, if you're on AT&T with a 4S you probably don't even need LTE if you're not tethering. It's a stable phone but bland.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010

I could not live without it, it's the best phone I have ever owned and it's just a joy to use and I feel safe with it.

S

syd430

2/10

- No removable battery (wtf?)
- No SD card slot
- Small screen (even my Galaxy Note 2 has a 5.5" screen)
- No Super AMOLED
- Still no Widgets
- iOS is exactly the same since 2007
- No language support for Ancient Hebrew
- No Firewire
- No USB ports
- No intel CPU
- No user upgradable RAM
- No physical keyboard
- No mouse
- Not all apps are free
- Costs more than a flip phone
- Doesn't run Symbian 5.0
- Iodised coating literally just falls off
- Doesn't run Internet Explorer
- Can't prevent a sub-Saharan Eritrean Warthog from charging at you in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- No live wallpapers
- No Google search bar on home screen
- Calls and data cost money
- No 5G
- No satellite phone capabilities
- No NFC
- No wireless charging
- No Capacitive home button
- Screen is not IGZO
- Can't play it like a flute
- Cannot run full version of Photoshop
- Only 2 cameras (i.e no side cameras)
- No subwoofer
- Does not come in more than 2 colours
- No stylus
- No compartment to carry coins
- No file directory
- No sub-folders

Last edited by a moderator:

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
2/10

- No removable battery (wtf?)
- No SD card slot
- Small screen (even my Galaxy Note 2 has a 5.5" screen)
- No Super AMOLED
- Still no Widgets
- iOS is exactly the same since 2007
- No language support for Ancient Hebrew
- No Firewire
- No USB ports
- No intel CPU
- No user upgradable RAM
- No physical keyboard
- No mouse
- Not all apps are free
- Costs more than a flip phone
- Doesn't run Symbian 5.0
- Iodised coating literally just falls off
- Doesn't run Internet Explorer
- Can't prevent a sub-Saharan Eritrean Warthog from charging at you in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- No live wallpapers
- No Google search bar on home screen
- Calls and data cost money
- No 5G
- No satellite phone capabilities
- No NFC
- No wireless charging
- No Capacitive home button
- Screen is not IGZO
- Can't play it like a flute
- Cannot run full version of Photoshop
- Only 2 cameras (i.e no side cameras)
- No subwoofer
- Does not come in more than 2 colours
- No stylus
- No compartment to carry coins
- No file directory
- No sub-folders

*waits for someone to fall for trap*

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
September 21 - :D :cool: :apple: Hell yea i5!

Yesterday- Googling to see if Nexus 4 is compatible with ATT 4G plans :p ...Then realizes the iPhone 5 is sufficient enough as a regular tool. :rolleyes:

Experience and reliability for my everyday needs - 9.5/10

Lasting impression with software - 3/10

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
9.9/10

Phenomenal device in my opinion, but seeing so many faulty parts and software problems make me wonder if I've just gotten lucky. It's good that Apple replaces devices so easily and with little question. Stock up on the AppleCare+!

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
well compared to a 4S not that much is different. You can say it's faster but is that one second different on opening apps worth $200? A taller screen doesn't matter to some people, if you're on AT&T with a 4S you probably don't even need LTE if you're not tethering. It's a stable phone but bland.

You're kidding right? That's like saying a Ferrari 599 is not that much different than a Toyota Celica because they both have 4 wheels and a windshield... The Ferrari is just "slightly" faster and has a few more features that "don't matter".

The 5:

Is more than twice as fast
Has LTE
Has faster Wi-Fi (5Ghz N)
Has a bigger, better calibrated screen
Has better cameras (sapphire lens and HD FaceTime)
Is Thinner
Is Lighter
Uses charging technology that will be SUPPORTED going forward
Has much more resale value/potential as the 4S continues to age
Has better battery life
Charges faster

I could go on... But the only people who really believe the 4S is comparable are the people who either are stuck without an upgrade (or can't afford it) or are Android folks fishing for flames. VERY few people (maybe 5 out of 100, IF that) would choose a 4S and $100 over a 5.

The 4S was a FINE phone (as the Celica is a FINE automobile). But there is NO comparison to the 5. It is simply a different (better, faster, smarter) animal.

You can say the upgrades "don't matter", but that doesn't mean it's true. They obviously do, or no one would buy the 5 over the cheaper 4S.

The 5 kicks some serious 4S tail... (and that's no shot at the 4S, which I still think is the second best phone on the market... it's just a teastament to the 5).

tboyd37

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
brownsville pa
8/10

love my iPhone & iOS & everything about it.. love the integration of the software & hardware, the simplicity of the os that anyone can pick it up & you just know what to do....

only things im not to happy with right now is my battery life isn't quite upto par just yet.. my iPhone 5 is a little less then a month old & i've cycled the battery about 2-3 times so far.. once that improves it will be a perfect 10!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.