Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jatindrj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New York
I have an ipad 1st gen with an applecare I got as a gift that is almost up. It has a cracked screen. I know they don't make anymore so I am wondering if I bring it in will I be getting a refurb, ipad 2, or the new ipad.

Second, if I get the 4th gen and two years from now I am in the same situation, is the same outcome likely to occur?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
You won't get a brand new iPad 4 nor iPad 3, and most likely will get a refurb iPad 1 unless you get lucky, and they don't have one that was returned/refurbished, than maybe an iPad 2....

Same with question #2

jatindrj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
New York
Ok thanks. Is it worth just getting the refurb or ipad 2 or just get a new one? I'm on the fence about gettin the protection on my next one cuz ill likely upgrade in 2-3 years anyway

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
One thing people do not realize about the AppleCare plans is that you can transfer them to another like device. I had an iPad 3 with AppleCare + and I sold it to a friend. I did not include the AppleCare + instead I contacted Apple and they let me transfer my remaining 18 months to my iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.