Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Adam-
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
27 iMac Specs Help / advice

Hi, I am getting an 27inch iMac, as i've started doing some app development and would like an update. Currently i'm on a 15 mbp late 2009 (2.53, 250gb etc). So far i've decided on the following spec

3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

that brings it to 2,000.

My question is do i need the i7 for app development, should i trade out the graphics card for it or bite the bullet at upgrade the processor too?? I can't afford the 768gb SDD but is the 3TB drive a reasonable upgrade?

PS, I will update the ram, probably to 16 then 32 gig by adding ram two at a time when funds recover a little.

If anyone has ordered my set up or thought over the same issue i'd be really grateful.

PPS I can't afford a mac pro haha!
Adam- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam- View Post
Hi, I am getting an 27inch iMac, as i've started doing some app development and would like an update. Currently i'm on a 15 mbp late 2009 (2.53, 250gb etc). So far i've decided on the following spec

3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

that brings it to 2,000.

My question is do i need the i7 for app development, should i trade out the graphics card for it or bite the bullet at upgrade the processor too?? I can't afford the 768gb SDD but is the 3TB drive a reasonable upgrade?

PS, I will update the ram, probably to 16 then 32 gig by adding ram two at a time when funds recover a little.

If anyone has ordered my set up or thought over the same issue i'd be really grateful.

PPS I can't afford a mac pro haha!
Computer or Phone apps?
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Adam-
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
Computer or Phone apps?


iphone apps
Adam- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
sergiobaschi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam- View Post
iphone apps
I really don't think either the small difference in clock rate nor the four extra virtual cores will cause any notable performance improvements in Xcode. You'll maybe save 0.25-0.5 second in the actual moment of building the app for the simulator, if it's a big app.

I was in the same position (also an app developer), but decided to go for the i7 as I do some amateur 3d work as well.

I was 100% sure on upgrading to the fusion drive (1 TB), 75% for the 680MX and 50% on the i7... and eventually I took all three of them
__________________
27"/i7/32/680/1FD (2012), 13"/i7/16/512 rMBP (2013), 13"/i5/8/180SSD cMBP (2012), Mini/1.4/4/120 GB SSD (2014), iPad mini 16GB Wifi (2013), iPhone 4S/16 (2012).
sergiobaschi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:36 AM   #5
sounddesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiobaschi View Post
I really don't think either the small difference in clock rate nor the four extra virtual cores will cause any notable performance improvements in Xcode.

I agree with that since most apps are not going to be supper intensive on the computer like rendering out 3d graphics or something
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:09 AM   #6
rjs2
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
I don't think the i7 or the 680 will assist you much really. They make the machine last you longer & help when reselling though.

The 3TB is a reasonable upgrade if you need more space

You can get 32GB ram for ~120 from crucial.
rjs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam- View Post
...
My question is do i need the i7 for app development, should i trade out the graphics card for it or bite the bullet at upgrade the processor too?? I can't afford the 768gb SDD but is the 3TB drive a reasonable upgrade?

PS, I will update the ram, probably to 16 then 32 gig by adding ram two at a time when funds recover a little.
...
If you think you'll need the space, go for 3TB. You shouldn't need the i7 unless you will be using the computer for other things.

As for ram, a minor note, you would go from 8GB to 24GB of ram by adding one 2x8GB memory kit. And 24GB should be more than enough for what you said you'll be using the computer for.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Adam-
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2 View Post
I don't think the i7 or the 680 will assist you much really. They make the machine last you longer & help when reselling though.

The 3TB is a reasonable upgrade if you need more space

You can get 32GB ram for ~120 from crucial.
Yeah thanks for that advice, the saving you can make on ram pretty much pays for the upgrade from 21->27inch screen. I think I will go for that configuration! I've got a 1TB external for all the media that I don't look at too much (photos and films), but thanks for helping for putting my mind at peace about i7
Adam- is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
27 inch, advice, help me, imac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IMAC 21.5" for Aperture use need advice on specs a4est42 iMac 4 Feb 13, 2014 10:44 PM
advice on what specs to choose for new macbook pro novice1818 Buying Tips and Advice 2 Jan 27, 2014 06:03 PM
iMac Specs? Treebeard3 iMac 17 Nov 11, 2013 08:34 AM
Need Advice on Best MacPro Specs for Editing HD Kinected2U Mac Pro 14 Jan 22, 2013 10:56 PM
help re specs for new iMac please. ocsupersonic iMac 3 Nov 29, 2012 10:51 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC