Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
britneyfan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Apple's new supposed update schedule: food for thought for all iOS owners

Okay, let me play devil's advocate and say Apple starts releasing new iOS devices twice every year.
Wonderful, most of us have decided that we can't keep up and give up for a year and a half to two years. The reason why we're okay with this is because of our yearly software updates. Let's say they're cut in half from the usual 2 to 3 years?

What are the chances of this happening?
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
I don't care. I just need consistency. Without it, I cannot reliably sell off old stuff to pay for new stuff. Now that I've fallen out of the iPad update schedule, and I have no idea if I will jump back into it, I am thinking about sticking with the 3 until the Android apps I need become available (no telling at the moment if that will happen), and just moving over there.

The Nexus 7 has been nice (A little small for reading PDFs. but a nice size for ebooks and some content creation), the 10 outperforms the iPad in some respecta, and I could see myself getting more out of Android IF developers step up and deepen the amount of good offerings in each app category.

The Macs are nicer because you know upgrades are dependant on the Intel cycle. I tend to time my selling / purchasing much better with those.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:53 PM   #3
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
So Apple only supports your iPad 4 for 1 year?

Not happening.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
I don't care. I just need consistency. Without it, I cannot reliably sell off old stuff to pay for new stuff. Now that I've fallen out of the iPad update schedule, and I have no idea if I will jump back into it, I am thinking about sticking with the 3 until the Android apps I need become available (no telling at the moment if that will happen).

The Macs are nicer because you know upgrades are dependant on the Intel cycle. I tend to time my selling / purchasing much better with those.
Yeah. That's true.

I bought an iPad 3 and I didn't like it. It just wasn't practical for me.
I honestly didn't think a new iPad was coming out, but sure enough it did and now I'm stuck with an iPad that lost $300 in value.

I LOVE my iPhone more than anything and I think I use it like crazy. I had a 4, 4S and now a 5. I upgraded it and said "this is it. NO more for two years or more." I figured the 3GS still works fine, so why do I need a new one every year. So by then, 3 or more iPhones come out? What does that mean for a) resale value and b) software updates? Very sticky situation.

I just bought a mini and was hesitant. I did it because the form factor is attractive. I think I'm only going to keep it for a year. (I'll get a new one next Christmas)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
So Apple only supports your iPad 4 for 1 year?

Not happening.
I don't know. A lot of people may buy a new one if that happens.
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #5
lokster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
i dont mind apple making new devices and next gen devices, nobody needs to buy the next best thing and you can always skip the next generation or two as long as apple validates my warranty, i still have an ipad 3 still under warranty, so if ever i have to claim my warranty, apple would upgrade me to an ipad 4

ive had this happen before when i was on my iphone 3g and i returned it only to get a 3gs
__________________
iPad 3 32Gb white JB iOS 7.0
iPhone 5S 32Gb white JB iOS 7.1.1
Macbook Pro 13" 2010 2.4Ghz 12GB RAM,1TB HD
iPod Nano 6th Gen 8Gb + LunaTik Strap
lokster is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think it's fine. The iPad bump made plenty of sense because it ditched the 30-pin adapter on all latest-gen devices. Apple doesn't really have a specific time of year for computer updates, so doing the same for tablets and phones makes sense. I mean if all of a sudden you can bump all storage up on iPads and offer an A7 in May, why wait until fall when every competitive device may have beaten you?

I think most of these updates would be like the iPad 4, mostly internal stuff. Big physical changes will come, but you don't want people needing new accessories on every six-month refresh.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver 64GB iPhone 6; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
Yeah. That's true.

I bought an iPad 3 and I didn't like it. It just wasn't practical for me.
I honestly didn't think a new iPad was coming out, but sure enough it did and now I'm stuck with an iPad that lost $300 in value.

I LOVE my iPhone more than anything and I think I use it like crazy. I had a 4, 4S and now a 5. I upgraded it and said "this is it. NO more for two years or more." I figured the 3GS still works fine, so why do I need a new one every year. So by then, 3 or more iPhones come out? What does that mean for a) resale value and b) software updates? Very sticky situation.

I just bought a mini and was hesitant. I did it because the form factor is attractive. I think I'm only going to keep it for a year. (I'll get a new one next Christmas)

----------


I don't know. A lot of people may buy a new one if that happens.
I am thrilled with the iPad 3, so getting kicked in the teeth like this by Apple sucks, but at least it happened with a great product. I'd hate to be outside the upgrade cycle without a Retina display.

The iPhone is losing its attraction, especially when compared to my Samsung III. But, I think by this time next year I'll just have a tablet (iPad or Android) and retire both. I don't see much point in having a phone anymore. I make only a handful of calls every year anyhow.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
I don't know. A lot of people may buy a new one if that happens.
Not going to happen.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Hamburger
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
i don't really give a toss when apple update. i buy when i need a product.
i have the ipad mini and will keep it for at least two years, even if it has retina in march. before that i had ipad1.
there are still many people here with ipad1 or 2 who don't see a need to upgrade. or those with 2007 imacs or 2009 mbps.
of course it is nice to have the latest product, but it is definitely not a necessity.
__________________
iMac 21.5", iPad Mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Classic
Hamburger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:37 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
i don't really give a toss when apple update. i buy when i need a product.
Same with me. Just because Apple releases a new product doesn't mean mine stops working. I don't always have to have the latest and greatest.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I thought the dock was supposed to show up in multi-monitors?? eroxx OS X Mavericks (10.9) 5 Oct 23, 2013 11:24 AM
I thought it was supposed to stop refreshing? forza69 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 22, 2013 04:46 PM
Has anyone thought of downgrading to iOS 6 just to update to iOS 7 via OTA? Krissypantz2828 iOS 7 11 Sep 17, 2013 06:11 PM
aaaaargh I thought Apple's were supposed to be easy? applewank Wasteland 23 Feb 18, 2013 08:13 AM
retina display on the imac yes or no?.. maybe YES!(food for thought) edry.hilario iMac 25 Jul 17, 2012 01:02 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC